"Cast to a nearby device" popup issue

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone have this issue on the V20? I've read on google some other people have had the problem since 2015, a random popup that says "cast to a nearby device" without a button to dismiss I have to tap home but the popup keeps coming up again. On my v20 I see the pop up mostly when I unplug the aux cable. Someone else with the v20 has had the issue and solved it? I don't have videostream installed and I don't own a google chromecast or use that cast option at all.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My daughter's Galaxy s7 has been plagued with this for the past couple of weeks. Happens several times a day. Tried a factory reset today but it's still happening. She has to reboot the phone to make it go away, but then it comes back several hours later. Would love to know how to make it stop.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Happened to me today on my way home from work. My first thought was that my phone was trying to partner with something in a nearby vehicle. There was an Audi SUV behind me most of the way so I'm guessing that's where the pairing request came from.

Agreed though that its frustrating because there is no way to dismiss the request box.

David

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I had this happen to me today*out of the blue. I long pressed the notification and it has something to do with Google*Play Services. When I did that it gave me an option to turn on the notification/ I also went into*Application Manager and cleared the cache*for Play Services and have not had it pop up*since.*

RyanRaz

Feb 8, 2017
Visit site
I've been getting this a lot over the last 2 weeks on my Note 5. Sometimes my phone is unusable at home. I think it's trying to connect with my upstairs neighbor's stuff. It just keeps popping up. I've tried reinstalling certain apps (spotify, sonos, fire tv, etc...). Just tried clearing the google play cache and it came back 10 minutes later. This is getting really frustrating and I can't find a solution on the web. Tried every old solution I've seen. Still popping up. **JUST NOTICED: WRONG PHONE FORUM. SORRY!

Last edited:

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes! This has been happening to me lately and it turns out that it is Google photos trying to connect to my Chromecast. Every time it has happened to me I've not had the patience for more than one or two minutes and pulled the battery on my phone because it is very unresponsive.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Cast to a nearby device" popup issue

Go to your settings. Then go to Google Cast. Then turn off the remote notification setting. Should fix the problem
I can't find this in Settings or the Google Home app (the replacement for Cast)

Edit: Settings... Google Services... Google Cast. I can't confirm if this will fix it, but that's how you get to the setting.

Raynze

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
I've been having the same issue after I accidentally hit the "square" in the youtube app to send to my tv. I tried turning off google cast but that didnt work. What DID work was disabling the youtube app and then reinstalling it. No more popups at this time...

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

Sswitzer Was that able to fix you're problem? I'm tyring it myself. I'm getting that showing up on every screen.
I haven't had the message again, but then I had only had it happen the one time.

I had it happen when my wife's phone was on our wifi and mine wasn't... it was like Google was trying to get me to connect to our wifi's cast network. So it's something to do with being able to be part of a cast network when you're not on wifi... I think.

I don't know if that helps at all, but you might want to give a thought about wifi vs non wifi, devices in your wifi network, etc.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

I can confirm that my solution (see above) does not work... I just had it happen again while in the same room with someone else who had an android device, not near a cast network. I'm looking into other solutions.

Edit: my next solution is to turn off notifications for Google Home. I'll report back if this solves it. Reading around other forums, I think it's related to certain apps (LG Music app, Netflix?) not properly dealing with casting when not on Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

Iycis82

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I just tried the Settings, Google, Cast & haven't had an issue yet. Of course this just started about 15 minutes ago, so hopefully this helps.UPDATE: Didn't help!

Last edited:

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Turning off notifications for Google Home seems to have fixed it for me. You'll need to do this through Settings, Apps, (Google) Home, Notifications.

Steezey

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
High hope this solves everyones problems. What you need to do is go to settings, apps, then select which app normally its the youtube app that gives you this problem but any other apps you can cast on can also get stuck. When on apps from your settings select youtube or which ever one you cast on and hit the storage option there you will hit clear cache. That's it...
Update: you can also tell which app is causing the problem by going to the app and seeing the cast option in white like its casting when not on Wi-Fi.

ReneWM

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
High hope this solves everyones problems. What you need to do is go to settings, apps, then select which app normally its the youtube app that gives you this problem but any other apps you can cast on can also get stuck. When on apps from your settings select youtube or which ever one you cast on and hit the storage option there you will hit clear cache. That's it...
Update: you can also tell which app is causing the problem by going to the app and seeing the cast option in white like its casting when not on Wi-Fi.

This seemed to work for me, thanks so much this was driving me insane! Cleared cache for both YouTube and Netflix, and (fingers crossed) popup hasn't recurred.

Svante Jacobsen

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site

Reading around other forums, I think it's related to certain apps (LG Music app, Netflix?) not properly dealing with casting when not on Wi-Fi.

I can confirm that whenever this happens the solution for me is to kill (swipe on the running applications list) an app (which is a hassle with all the popping ups). Today it was Netflix (I don't remember an earlier app but it was probably the same one).

Also, remote control notifications are great (have multiple chromecasts) and I don't want to turn them off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38