What's your next phone after the V20?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to V30, G7, and Note 8. Kinda looking at the S8 Active right now, should be coming soon. What phone will you be getting next? I'll probably be still using the V20 as a backup phone in the future, great since it has removable​ batteries for vacation trips, and an IR blaster so it could be used as a backup remote controller.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's been a S8+ for about 6 weeks now

It's a great phone. Definitely a great choice! Looking into the S8 active which might be better for me design wise (I like my phone to be more durable). Have fun with the new built in camera filters! And wait til Bixby comes out, you'll like it.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm torn between keeping the V20 until I've paid it off or upgrading to the V30 in November when I hit my eligible upgrade point. The Note 8 and Pixel 2 could make things more interesting but ever since the V30 was rumored to have OLED screen, I've been pretty much set on that. Lastly the Nokia 9 with its dual camera setup(optical zoom or wide angle) just may be the camera replacement I've been looking for. Anyway, these phones will really have to be special for me to part ways with the V20.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn between keeping the V20 until I've paid it off or upgrading to the V30 in November when I hit my eligible upgrade point. The Note 8 and Pixel 2 could make things more interesting but ever since the V30 was rumored to have OLED screen, I've been pretty much set on that. Lastly the Nokia 9 with its dual camera setup(optical zoom or wide angle) just may be the camera replacement I've been looking for. Anyway, these phones will really have to be special for me to part ways with the V20.

Looking forward to the V30 as well. Honestly could stick with the v20 though.

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Unless something really radical comes out, I don't see the point.
This phone upgrade cycle reminds me of the pc wars of the old Intel pentium chips.
It's the software at this point not the hardware. Fast is fast and all cameras are really good.
Imho

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Lol hang on to the V20 then.
Kinda the plan. Unless something comes out that is just really compelling, I may very well keep this until it's just not very functional anymore. Considering how much oomph it has, that could be a long while, and then I'll see what compromises I'm willing to make.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Kinda the plan. Unless something comes out that is just really compelling, I may very well keep this until it's just not very functional anymore. Considering how much oomph it has, that could be a long while, and then I'll see what compromises I'm willing to make.
Yep cause the V20 is pretty much the last of a dying breed and we'll all have to leave some of our beloved features behind for the next phone we get. But maybe the benefits will start to catch up or even surpass some of the old features. Obviously OEMs could just increase battery size in flagship and not the budget/midrange devices(while that still remains to be seen) to supplant removable battery. IR blaster is pretty much irreplaceable unless they come up with something else like a smart connect feature via Bluetooth or something for controlling tv's amd other household appliances. I feel like those are the two main differentiators.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep cause the V20 is pretty much the last of a dying breed and we'll all have to leave some of our beloved features behind for the next phone we get. But maybe the benefits will start to catch up or even surpass some of the old features. Obviously OEMs could just increase battery size in flagship and not the budget/midrange devices(while that still remains to be seen) to supplant removable battery. IR blaster is pretty much irreplaceable unless they come up with something else like a smart connect feature via Bluetooth or something for controlling tv's amd other household appliances. I feel like those are the two main differentiators.
I'd still take a smaller replaceable battery over a larger sealed one. That way, when the battery itself goes bad, it's easily and cheaply replaced. If I'm not mistaken, smart tv's can be controlled by an app, making even traditional remotes less needed (I don't have one, so maybe I'm mistaken?).

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'd still take a smaller replaceable battery over a larger sealed one. That way, when the battery itself goes bad, it's easily and cheaply replaced. If I'm not mistaken, smart tv's can be controlled by an app, making even traditional remotes less needed (I don't have one, so maybe I'm mistaken?).
Probably right about the smart tvs. But IR is still present on many things. I used mine for my A/C unit before we got the central air replaced.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You can use the ir blaster app to control any tv

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Holding out until I see what the V30 brings to the table. Also the upcoming Pixel 2 is starting to peak my interest. But to be honest, I'm really diggin' my V20...

It's gonna be hard to part with it, unless I'm truly blown away by either the V30 or Pixel 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member