Where to buy LG urbane 2nd edition out right with no plan?

chramiji

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm from NYC and I am wondering if anyone knows any store that is willing to part with one of these watches without a plan... I am a tmo customer, I really dont want to activate a line, pay a ton of activation fees and then cancel it immediately (probably same day) to get this watch.. it because unreasonably expensive at that point...

any tips or help appreciated!!:)

Mreveryphone

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm a tmobile customer as well. I went to a corporate att store and told them I was buying it as gift and they sold it to me. They even asked me if I had a account and I told them no. Try a corporate store.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The stores have no incentive to sell you one without plans. So, it is always YMMV. They make more commission on plans, not device sell.

StimulatorCam

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm from Canada, so I had to drive down to pick one up (just over an hour, not that far). I called ahead and explained (and got them to hold the only one they had) and they said sure no problem you can buy outright. Originally they mentioned I'd have to pay for one month of service, but once I got there they never charged me for it.

chramiji

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Just ended up ordering with plan and will cancel the line when I get the watch. Confirmed with att chat rep that there is no cost associated with cancellations... Then ordering a truphone sim.. Since they seem to have the best rep.

Posted via the Android Central App

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Since you have tmobile, why don't you just try to activate your watch with their wearable plan? But I agree, at this time, truphone is probably the least expensive option for this watch. Since you can't do really anything standalone data wise to incur a large bill.

chramiji

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Also feel that a truphone sim would have better overall coverage since its on att and tmob.

It would be rare for me to not have my phone with me... But just in case I go for those occasional bike rides...

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Also feel that a truphone sim would have better overall coverage since its on att and tmob.

It would be rare for me to not have my phone with me... But just in case I go for those occasional bike rides...

If you rarely take off without your phone, then Truphone is a good deal. I usually have my phone with me except for the 3-4 times a week I go for a run for 45 minutes to an hour each time. My cost each month is about $3-$4, sometimes less. I use ghostracer and use on average of 1MB-2MB each run.

I set my preferred network to 3G and usually have a strong HSPA signal. LTE isn't easily available in my area. I don't notice any difference in performance/speed with HSPA.

Last edited:

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I ended up adding to my plan and cancelling. I should get my bill in another day or two so I will see if there was any activation charge.

Truphone is working great, though I hardly use it. I haven't even had a chance to take it out for a jog yet so only tested it for briefer periods.

I also disabled LTE since it has only one LTE band it was stuck on HSPA in my area.

bckrupps

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I am on att and wanted to buy a truphone sim. My question is how are people handling the calls and texts? i assume call forwarding? i dont want to mess with a second number. second thing is how is the battery life assuming i use call forwarding with ambient on. for as little as i use it i dont want to pay att that much monthly and numbersync is hard on the battery per what i read. im thinking more down the road at how much more useful having a constant connection though will be with android wear 2.0 also

StimulatorCam

May 20, 2015
Visit site
My question is how are people handling the calls and texts? i assume call forwarding?

Yes, call forwarding works fine for calls. I have different carriers in each device (neither is AT&T as I'm in Canada), and I just forward my phone to my watch.

As for texting, it still works fine as your watch syncs your texts through whatever data connection it has. When you send an outgoing text you can choose to send it from either number, and again uses your data connection to sync it to your phone and send from there if you choose.

As to battery life, I find if I have wifi on the watch most of the day (leaving phone at home) then I could probably last close to 2 days with minimal use. When on cell data the battery seems to drain quite a bit faster but still lasts most of the day.

chramiji

May 13, 2016
Visit site
So, here are some interesting information that I'd like to share.

How to buy... Open a line and cancel it. It won't have any fees associated with it. I went to the store, paid in full with line activation, went home... And cancelled the line without turning on my watch.

I don't see the word "number sync" on my watch. It just has "watch share number with phone" which seems like it is generic? If others are seeing "number sync" its likely they turned on the watch with an AT&T SIM.

T mobile store reps might not know how to make the watch work with their wearable plan. Have a tech (call in for tech support) register your device as a gear s2. I spend over a hour at my local store to leave with a crazy 20 dollar 2gb Mobile data plan. Called in, reg my IMEI as a gear s2, change plan.... Working perfectly.

Hope this helps others on this endeavor since it seems like people don't seem to understand how this works.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't see the word "number sync" on my watch. It just has "watch share number with phone" which seems like it is generic? If others are seeing "number sync" its likely they turned on the watch with an AT&T SIM.

Same here on not seeing NumberSync in the cellular settings. I do see it in permissions> system permissions. However, it's enabled for both phone and sms and I still never see it using battery. Probably since I'm not on AT&Ts network.

daverns

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
What plan are you using it on T-Mobile? If you are using the T-Mobile wearable plan, most likely it will not work.

bckrupps

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I bought mine outright through ATT with no data plan. My only issue with truphone is once 2.0 comes out and everything can be done right from the watch that data plan is pretty restrictive. I could see myself downloading apps and streaming music and such alot. The reality is that i dont mind paying ATT the extra wearables plan money. What i dont like is how bad numbersync kills the battery life. If that gets straightened out it's not worth the headache to save a few bucks and not use the same number and have a more seamless experience. I figure most people that spend $400 on a smartwatch can afford the plan if it actually functions properly which technically it does not entirely.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If a watch has the standalone functionality of a phone, it doesn't need a wearable plan, it can be put on a regular smartphone plan. With family plan pricing, it's not expensive. Cricket offers 5 lines (each with unlimited T&T and 2GB) for $100 which can be used in smartphones, tablets, and watches. Prices vary, but the other carriers have similar offerings.

For example, I use one line for a primary smartphone, a second in the car's dedicated infotainment center, a third in an iPad, a fourth in a watch, and a fifth in a revolving capacity (device varies according to situation). I'm sure the tech heads on this forum have uses for multiple lines.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer