Ubuntu on iMac. Need files off OS X. Won't Boot

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So I should have put my files into a public folder before I did this; but, I didn't. Anyways. OS X isn't booting up from rEFit after I installed Ubuntu on a separate partition. When I attempt to boot from linux bootloader it locks up and nothing happens. (I think, I don't know. Kinda slow).

Doesn't matter though. I just want to get my files off my desktop. It says I don't have access. Anyone know if there is a way I can get them?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like Ubuntu is booting fine and it's OSX that's locking up? If you just care about the files, you should be able to mount an HFS partition under Linux, try something like the following:

mkdir ~/mac
mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda1 ~/mac

Note that /dev/sda1 may vary. If you have journalling enabled in OSX you may be read only.

Some other notes on installing:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Intel_iMac

You can also try reinstalling OSX and then refit. Macs are very screwed up, so it may be easier to recover Ubuntu than to recover the Mac boot partition. Of course it's easiest to just take a sledge hammer to the thing, but that's another story :)

If neither OS will boot, you may be best off getting a USB case for your drive. These are cheap and a quick way of getting access to a partition when nothing boots.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like Ubuntu is booting fine and it's OSX that's locking up? If you just care about the files, you should be able to mount an HFS partition under Linux, try something like the following:

mkdir ~/mac
mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda1 ~/mac

Note that /dev/sda1 may vary. If you have journalling enabled in OSX you may be read only.

Some other notes on installing:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Intel_iMac

You can also try reinstalling OSX and then refit. Macs are very screwed up, so it may be easier to recover Ubuntu than to recover the Mac boot partition. Of course it's easiest to just take a sledge hammer to the thing, but that's another story :)

If neither OS will boot, you may be best off getting a USB case for your drive. These are cheap and a quick way of getting access to a partition when nothing boots.

It was read only. So mounting wasn't working. Nautilus would allow me to view them but not copy after that.

What I did, and don't ask me how this worked:

I tried booting "OS X 64bit" with Grub. This, obviously. Did not work. Then I went to edit. Went back. And tried loading OS X 32bit. Now, this did not load. However, it did not freeze. It went through some boot stuff and failed out. But, luckily right after it failed out OS X terminal booted was at the end. So I was able to go into my directory and copy files over to a shared folder since I now had read write access. Then I was able to go back to linux and copy them over from the shared folder. I don't even know how I got to terminal. The only way, and it worked 3 times, was to try and load what was called 64 bit, then go back and go into the edit menu, then go into 32 bit. Crazy. I'm gonna post another topic in the forum. It's all done.

:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95