eReader vs. Tablet

DocFreud

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in getting an eReader. So far, I'm leaning towards the new Kindle Touch. The main reason for getting the Kindle Touch over the Kindle Fire or Nook Color is the Touch has the E-Ink display. But, I'm not sure how much that really matters.

Can you share your thoughts and opinions about the Kindle vs. a tablet and the readability of their screens? Or, point me to a web site that has some good information (my searches have not turned up much useful information)?

Also, I have a lot of .pdf files that I need to load. Which is better at handling .pdf's?

One reason I'm leaning away from a tablet is that I have the Thunderbolt and meets my needs for mobility. And, I?m not sure how much I would use a tablet for media (audio/video/web).

Any advice and information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

myersw

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
For extensive reading, of say a book, I find the E-Ink display better. I have both a Kindle and a Nook Color running CM7 with the Kindle app installed. E-Ink is easier on the eyes in my opinion for long viewing. Also the E-Ink does not wash out in bright light like a tablet will. E-ink displays do not use much power so you do not have to charge the Kindle very often where the Nook Color is good for about 7 to 8 hours. Nook Color with CM7 is a good device if you want to read and also browse the web/email and can live with the 7 inch screen. I do think the size of the Kindle/Nook is better for reading books then a tablet which I also have. --bill

The Architect

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
For eReader w/ e-ink, I like the Nook Touch. It is easier to load books via USB. I use Calibre to manage my ebook library. Plus the Nook can read .epub files, which (last time I checked) the kindle cannot. $99 from your local B&N or Best Buy.