Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

firelightguitarist

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, hoping you can help me out some.
I've got a Sammy GTab 2 7 inch, but I knocked it off my bed last night and cracked the glass. Being a deployed soldier, I:
a) Need a device that is in good condition (as defects like that make it more susceptible to dirt, dust, and moisture getting in and damaging the device
b) Can afford a replacement
c) Already have someone who wants to buy this one off me when I get a new one

So with that said, I want to throw out some pros and cons about each tablet and see what you all think about getting either a new GTab 2 7 inch or a Nexus 7.

-GTab-
Pros: Good build of Android, actually has a pretty nice version of TouchWiz; I like the features that Samsung adds in. External memory card. Two cameras, front and rear. 30-pin connector allows for accessories (though I haven't gotten any yet aside from a simple dock). Good battery life. Good screen (brightness and clarity). Good sound quality (both output and input). Good size, feels comfortable in the hand. Power Saver mode built in, reducing processor speed, screen FPS, and screen brightness to save battery. Can easily clone data from current tablet via Kies. Has neat customizable button on bottom bar (currently set to screenshot, I use it quite often). Only has bottom bar, increasing screen real estate.
Cons: Will always be slow to get updates to Android, already .1 behind latest version. Relatively small app storage and no move-to-SD function. Does not mount as a normal drive on a computer, only mounts as an MTP device or camera. Front camera has a low resolution. Both cameras are fixed-focus and are not focused well in the first place. Can be slightly sluggish at times when playing heavier apps. Proprietary 30-pin connector means I have to use that specific cable, not a generic one from a store (micro USB is easy to come by, this has to be specially ordered). Slightly heavy. Can accidentally hit power or volume buttons because they stick out from the side so much.

-Nexus-
Pros: Made by Google, specifically designed for a good Android experience. Always up to date on Android version. 1.2 MP front camera. Micro USB connector. High storage capacity. Lightweight. Identical button layout to GTab, but slightly recessed to avoid accidental pressing. Compatible with smart cases. Quad-core Tegra 3 processor with Plus One technology, so very speedy. Higher battery capacity than GTab (battery life as compared to my usage with the GTab to be determined if I get it). Better screen resolution than GTab. Almost identical size as GTab, but slightly thinner and lighter. Has NFC. Dual microphones. No Samsung bloatware.
Cons: No back camera. No external SD card. No light and proximity sensors. No native WiFi Direct support (though not applicable to me, I use routers here). Restoring data from Kies may not work (making migration time longer and more in-depth). Textured back may attract dust and very fine sand (we have a lot of that here). Incompatible with my current dock (though I would sell that to my friend who wants the GTab when I get a new tablet, so...). No customizable button on bottom bar. Has top and bottom bars, slightly decreasing screen real estate.

I love my GTab, but I've also heard great things about the N7. I was actually going to get one when I got the GTab, but they were out and I had to have one that day. So I settled for the GTab. I can afford either one, as they're both $250, but I want the best one of the two. I'm more inclined to get the N7 because of the front camera (Skype is a beautiful thing when you're deployed, away from your fiancee), but it has no front camera. I'd have to carry a real camera or my phone (which is big enough to be a regular camera and is very sluggish). Plus the N7 has almost triple the processor power (4x1.3 vs. 2x1). But it lacks external memory, which means I can't transfer any data by swapping cards between devices and what I have on the device is all I have for offline storage. I don't always have internet access here, so I can wholly rely on cloud storage (though I already own over 100 GB of cloud storage via Box and Dropbox). I tend to use my tablet as a stand-in for my laptop (much more portable), and often use a bluetooth keyboard (and sometimes a mouse) for longer typing, but I still keep it as a portable device. Meaning I carry it like I would a phone back in the States. My phone is no good to me here, it's not worth carrying around and dealing with the bugs when it has no cellular connectivity to outweigh the smaller screen and sluggishness. I keep music and movies on my tablet to pass the time while... doing my job (that's about all I can say about that), and battery life is very important. That's why I like the Power Saver feature on my GTab so much, I only turn it off when I'm plugged in or to play Dead Trigger and Deer Hunter: Reloaded, and occasionally when I'm loading memory-hogging web pages.

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear some feedback from owners of both devices, maybe other similar devices if you guys think there's a third (or more) option. Thanks for any help or advice you guys give!

Lukashenko

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, when I wanted to buy a tablet a few weeks ago I couldn't decide between the N7 and Gtab2. Eventually I decided to get the Nexus 7 because of the tegra quad core processor. And I love it, its smooth and rarely lags, I tried the gtab2 before and could feel the difference between the two. Anyways that's my opinion. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

firelightguitarist

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks very much. I actually just ordered the N7, as I just (like, less than 10 minutes ago) cracked the screen even more, to the point of it being very uncomfortable to use.

ensarj

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You made no mistake, the Nexus 7 is currently the best 7 inch tablet on the market. But you should take more care than you did with the Galaxy Tab! ;)

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
For what its worth, I bought a Nexus 7 this week and I didn't even consider anything else. For me the advantages of having a Nexus device that is free of OEM crap ware and which will get all updates in a timely fashion outweighs just about anything else. Add to that the fact that the Nexus 7 has excellent specs at an extremely competitive price and I think it should be an easy decision, even if you like TouchWiz and crap like that for some strange reason. Believe me when you see how silky smooth Jellybean is on a Nexus 7, you are not going to miss TouchWiz.

Don't worry about dust or sand or whatever sticking to the back, trust me it is not a problem. The Nexus is very well made, I'd say arguably nicer than any of the plasticky stuff Samsung makes honestly.

The lack of SD card is a non-issue (for me at least) 32 GB is plenty of room for all the music, movies and apps I need.

I honestly cannot think of a reason why anyone would buy anything other than the Nexus 7. Even if it were $100 more than its main competition, I would still have chosen the Nexus 7.

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much. I actually just ordered the N7, as I just (like, less than 10 minutes ago) cracked the screen even more, to the point of it being very uncomfortable to use.

Nice congrats, you made the right choice! There is an Otter box coming out for it soon too, keep an eye out. That'll keep you from cracking another screen ;) I'm getting one as soon as they go on sale. They even have a cool feature where you can click the back of the case into the lid to prop it up for watching movies and stuff.

totality

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Just seen this post and thought I would say my thoughts. You probably already have the Nexus 7 and if so grab a USB OTG cable. This means you can take a USB hard disk with you and plug it in whilst away. You can also plug in mates USB drives to copy stuff off.

I have a 500gb USB drive that plugs straight in using the adapter and doesn't need rooting if you use the Nexus Media Importer app. Not all 2.5" USB drives work though. My older style mini USB WD passport doesn't power up, but my newer version WD passport drive that has a micro USB port plugs in and powers itself fine off the tablet.

500gb is much more than you could get on the Samsung expansion slot and you can also plug in keyboards, mice, USB Xbox controllers into the OTG adapter too! You can also get one of those adapters for the Samsung but would need a Samsung version instead of a normal micro USB one.

LancasterCI

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
hey I hope you see the this in time. I have ow end both tabs and reccomend the N7 hands down. if you have cloud access the 16 g version is just enough, but 32 is better. that and I should suggest looking into Google voice and getting a number. if you use android apps like Spare Phone you call make free calls over WiFi.

Alex Pearsall

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 Will get key lime pie when its released before Samsung. Samsung's support for devices only last like 3 months they always want you to buy the new thing they have. It took them 10 months to get ics to the tab 10.1:D:D
I love my nexus 7 never will not love it! Nexus 7 beats the tab 2 with quad core which most new tablets are going to have. Then the tab people are going to feel owned and the SD dosnt matter with Google drive and drop box which you can put apps on!