Need help choosing a tablet...

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Most of the tablets I've looked at have 8GB-16GB storage and an SD card slot. I'm torn between the Galaxy Tab 3 (8GB), Hisense Sero 7 Pro (8GB), Asus Memo Pad HD 7 (16GB), and the Nexus 7 (16GB). My budget is around $200 (preferably less).

I want the Galaxy Tab because my girlfriend has the Galaxy S4 phone, and I like the TouchWiz interface and Samsung apps, but the device has only 8GB storage.

The Hisense Sero 7 Pro is a great value at $130, but it's from an off-brand manufacturer, so who knows how well it will be supported.

The Asus Memo Pad HD 7 has been getting great reviews, but there have been some issues with lagginess and an unresponsive touchscreen.

So which tablet would you recommend out of the ones I described?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read (and what some enthusiastic users have posted on these forums), it sounds like the Hisense is a great value. Not only are the specs impressive, but Hisense also seems to be making good with updates. I believe the Sero Pro has already gotten a couple of updates (not to 4.3 yet, though), and it's only been out for about 4-5 months.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd spend a little more and get the new nexus 7. I got mine five days before it came out and I have not had any issues at all. I love the tablet. It is a beast and has some awesome specs. I consider it the best 7 inch tablet and most would agree.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read (and what some enthusiastic users have posted on these forums), it sounds like the Hisense is a great value. Not only are the specs impressive, but Hisense also seems to be making good with updates. I believe the Sero Pro has already gotten a couple of updates (not to 4.3 yet, though), and it's only been out for about 4-5 months.

Too bad the Hisense tablet only has 8GB storage. I'm not going to hack my tablet just to use the SD card for basic features like app storage.

I need a tablet with at least 16GB storage. The Asus Memo Pad HD 7 has gotten good reviews at Amazon. Is that tablet a good buy?

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I'd spend a little more and get the new nexus 7. I got mine five days before it came out and I have not had any issues at all. I love the tablet. It is a beast and has some awesome specs. I consider it the best 7 inch tablet and most would agree.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

The Nexus 7 is very nice, but it doesn't have an SD card slot. It's not essential for me, but it is nice to have external storage for your music and videos. Then again, Apple fans never complain about the lack of SD cards on iPhones and iPads.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Haven't heard many negative things about the MeMO Pad, so I think it's a good choice.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Btw, do you know for sure that you need more than 8 gb for app storage? I would guess that you'd have only 5 or 6 gb of available storage, but that's still a decent amount.

Posted via Android Central App

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I highly recommend the Nexus 7 but with a $200 budget, you're looking at getting the older model or dumping in $20 extra for just 16 GB.

The Kindle Fire could be a good choice. With the HDX coming out, the current Fire is becoming the entry level unit for a very comfortable $140 USD. It is very nice if you are budget conscious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mojoski

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
By offline GPS, I'm assuming you mean the ability to act as a navigation app when not connected to the Internet. Is that correct? If so, then that is the function of an app, not the tablet itself. You need a navigation app that will let you load the maps in local storage instead of loading it on the fly... Is that what you meant by "offline GPS"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
By offline GPS, I'm assuming you mean the ability to act as a navigation app when not connected to the Internet. Is that correct? If so, then that is the function of an app, not the tablet itself. You need a navigation app that will let you load the maps in local storage instead of loading it on the fly... Is that what you meant by "offline GPS"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

No I mean the GPS using satellite receivers instead of a data connection (Wifi, cellular).

Mojoski

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
GPS always uses satellite.. It can only use the network to do one of 2 things..

1. Download position information about where in the sky the satellites should be. This is known as "Assisted GPS"..

2. If GPS can't be used for some reason, wifi and cellular signals can be used to find an approximate location. Not used for navigation.. That is what is going on when our see the big blue circle around a location in Google Maps..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Mojoski

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
So the Hisense Sero 7 Pro is worth buying? What about the Asus Memo Pad HD?

I have one and love it. It has become my primary computing device.. Best bargain tablet around, in my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions about them..

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non