205 ppi?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So according to the best buy leak the ppi on the 360 will be 205. I believe the Samsung watch has 240. Now I am guessing this is probably due to the round watch, but anyways, how good will the screen look? I can't remember the last time I had to look at a screen with such a low ppi, I mean just look at the g3 and Note 4 coming up which ppis in the 500 range. Definitely can't wait to see this thing in person, it did look good in all the videos I have seen.

The reason for the low resolution is obvious, limited space in the watch for a battery and all day power is the minimum requirements for a smart watch. Either way, I am pretty sure I will pick one up, especially at that rather reasonable price. There is no port on the watch so I am guessing the wireless charger is included which makes the price even better.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't see why a phone would need a high PPI. You're not going to need a sharp resolution to look at a clock and know that you have notifications.
Won't be watching videos, playing games or reading much. That's when you'd want 300+

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
We have been spoiled by displays that, according to Apple, won't let us identify pixels anymore, but 205 is under the 320 ppi retina display threshold, so we will see pixels again, and that will be very obvious looking at designs of analog clocks where the hands will be straight lines and we're the stair effect will be more evident due to the lower ppi.

Oh well, the moto 720 surely will have a higher pixel density. 😆

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It's not a question of need; this is a vanity item. Higher PPI looks better.

This is a case where form and function are at odds with each other. Would you rather it was a mm thicker to provide space for more battery so it could have a 300+ PPI (the ballpark where the eye stops being able to tell the difference) and keep the same battery life? Or would you rather keep the same thickness and have a higher PPI and have to charge mid-day?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
300+ PPI (the ballpark where the eye stops being able to tell the difference)
That is entirely dependent on how far away you are looking at the display. Since the watch is on your arm, it's going to be a lot farther than the 10-12 inches at which Apple claims phones become "Retina."

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
That is entirely dependent on how far away you are looking at the display. Since the watch is on your arm, it's going to be a lot farther than the 10-12 inches at which Apple claims phones become "Retina."

A lot farther than 10 to 12 inches?? If you interact with the phone, that's about the exact distance it will be from your eyes.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
A lot farther than 10 to 12 inches?? If you interact with the phone, that's about the exact distance it will be from your eyes.
I know. I meant the watch is generally going to be at a farther distance from your eyes than your phone would when in use?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Hm, if anything you'd think it would be closer because of the smaller screen. If you have a Note 3 in your hand, and your wrist obviously is right next to your hand, with a 5.7" screen, you're probably more comfortable reading whatever is on that screen than you would be what's on the small watch, so the expected human reaction would be to pull the watch closer.

Anyways, we are beating a dead horse here, Sept 4 is just around the corner.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Distance will probably vary by user (both for phone and watch), but I would think would be similar distance on average.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Of all the videos I've watched over the past couple months not one reviewer complained about the pixel density. There is usually a handful of reviewers that pick something up negative about a device and I've never heard the PPI being one of them. I research tech products a little too much sometimes. :D

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The screen looked really good to me in the videos which is why I was surprised to find out that it's only supposed to 205 ppi. Can't wait to see it in person.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I think the ppi is very acceptable. The sony smartwatch 2 has a lower res (not sure what exactly) but I am more than happy with it. Not really sure why you would want to pump a high ppi into a watch, it will just chew the battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress