Will the Moto E get Android L?

dash_blaze

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I hope so. They did promise the next major update. And Motorola even confirmed it after they rolled out the kitkat 4.4.3 update for Moto E.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I hope so. They did promise the next major update. And Motorola even confirmed it after they rolled out the kitkat 4.4.3 update for Moto E.

I think the E will get L too, but I think it'll be the only major one.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

dash_blaze

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I think the E will get L too, but I think it'll be the only major one.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
That's for sure. I only hope that Motorola provides timely updates to the latest Android and stock android experience to its future phones. I'm using the E as my daily driver and haven't had an issue.

glove4

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping the E gets L. Motorola promised one big upgrade and L would have to be it, not 4.4.4. I'm wondering how Motorola's speedy upgrades of late will change once they're owned by Lenovo. I hope Lenovo's influence will be minimal at best as far as future hardware and software is concerned.

Posted via Android Central App

glove4

May 19, 2012
Visit site
According to someone who was given info by a Motorola customer service rep in an online chat, the X and G will definitely get L, but the E seems up in the air. This makes me pessimistic about keeping the E if Motorola cannot keep their promised upgrade beyond minor updates that change little from the out of box experience. Hopefully this isn't the case. Though the target audience for this phone likely doesn't care much about L.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
According to someone who was given info by a Motorola customer service rep in an online chat, the X and G will definitely get L, but the E seems up in the air. This makes me pessimistic about keeping the E if Motorola cannot keep their promised upgrade beyond minor updates that change little from the out of box experience. Hopefully this isn't the case. Though the target audience for this phone likely doesn't care much about L.

Why would a low level customer service rep be privy to that information? I'd take anything they said with a whole pot of salt. Motorola promised a *major* update when they released the E, which wasn't that long ago, I don't see why anything would have changed.

You might think that the Lenovo takeover would make that less certain, but Lenovo is already capable of making smartphones, a lot of the value is in the Motorola brand name, they wouldn't just throw it away by not following through with promises that have already been made.

glovenc

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I agree. I think said sales rep probably is going on an assumption, the same assumption most of us users would make, that the X and G, Moto's most recent flagship and best selling budget budget phone would likely get "L," with the E being uncertain. All in all, there is probably no intention to leave the E at Kit Kat, but getting some kind of confirmation would be swell indeed, like HTC made for the M7 and M8 immediately after I/O.

idhbar

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I agree. I think said sales rep probably is going on an assumption, the same assumption most of us users would make, that the X and G, Moto's most recent flagship and best selling budget budget phone would likely get "L," with the E being uncertain. All in all, there is probably no intention to leave the E at Kit Kat, but getting some kind of confirmation would be swell indeed, like HTC made for the M7 and M8 immediately after I/O.

Motorola has also confirmation for X and G android L update ,but nothing about Moto E. It seems that there must be some technical issue regarding graphics part in E. So, chance is 50-50.

tejas_s

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, in the footnote of Moto E device page it is stated that
"The device will receive at least one software update from the current KitKat 4.4.2 operating system."
And we have already received one update. So all depends upon the mood of Motorola top management executives.
moto_e_footnote.jpg

arn_hsn xt1022

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Moto G and X are confirmed, but Motorola has no words about the Moto E. It seems like a 50-50 chance, but even then, they've given the 4.4.4 update at least.
I have high expectations of the E receiving Android L though.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, in the footnote of Moto E device page it is stated that
"The device will receive at least one software update from the current KitKat 4.4.2 operating system."
And we have already received one update. So all depends upon the mood of Motorola top management executives.
View attachment 128287

During the 4.4.3 update (which was stopped and restarted using 4.4.4 instead), Motorola said this:

Android™ 4.4.3, KitKat? Rolls Out to Moto Devices This Week - The Official Motorola Blog

We are excited to announce some icing on top of the, well, KitKat. Starting today, we are rolling out Android™ 4.4.3, KitKat®, which was just released by Google.

This week we begin rolling out to:
  • Moto X T-Mobile users
  • Moto G users who bought online in the U.S. (includes Moto G 4G LTE) and at retail in Brazil
  • Moto E users who bought online in the U.S. For Moto E users, you are still up for the next major Android update as well. Consider this the cherry on top.

Android L is the next major update. 4.4.4 was just fixing the cherry on top.

I still have no doubts that the Moto E will be on L officially.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I really hope that Moto E gets Android L otherwise it would make Motorola no different from Sony and Samsung who never provide any updates to their entry level devices.

Rockfella

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Wonderful thread. I just bought the Moto E few days ago and love android. Ex- Window user. The gmail snyc is awesome. When is the Lollypop release expected?