Is this a good phone for a 12 year old girl?

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about buying this for my 12 YO Niece.
Not sure if it is good enough or not good enough. I've heard some kids at her school get iPhones already so I don't want her to be looked down upon.

Thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about buying this for my 12 YO Niece.
Not sure if it is good enough or not good enough. I've heard some kids at her school get iPhones already so I don't want her to be looked down upon.

Thoughts?

Here is my take: get it for her. It's pretty inexpensive, so if anything happens to it, it's nothing to sweat over. Now, if she doesn't like it, you can keep it and you have a spare device in case something happens to yours. Sure, it won't be the greatest back up for you, but something is better than nothing.

As for being looked down on...Not sure what to say about that. That will probably happen whether she is 12, 21 or 41. (Not trying to be mean, more like pragmatic).

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you mean. I didn't get a phone at 12 but then that was a different time when I was growing up.

I am inclined to agree...but different times...

Maybe a different approach would be to have her look at a live one before you buy it. If she doesn't like it, at least you could save some money that way.

If she really, really wants an iPhone, maybe adding her on your plan?

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I am inclined to agree...but different times...

Maybe a different approach would be to have her look at a live one before you buy it. If she doesn't like it, at least you could save some money that way.

If she really, really wants an iPhone, maybe adding her on your plan?

I was planning on buying her a phone as a surprise so I may just do that. Still deciding on the Moto E vs the iPhone 5S.
I can get an iPhone 5s for free if I upgrade one of my phone lines.

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I was planning on buying her a phone as a surprise so I may just do that. Still deciding on the Moto E vs the iPhone 5S.
I can get an iPhone 5s for free if I upgrade one of my phone lines.

There's a significant difference between the iPhone 5s and Moto E as far as cost and quality of phone.. Not that the Moto E is bad, it is far from that but the 5s was built to be a top end flagship phone and the E is a budget competitor. I'm sure either phone will work just fine, but it's up to you which one to choose.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
We bought one at xmas for our 12 next month daughter. Its never out of her hand, does everything she needs.

An 8gb storage would have just improved it that bit but with a 32gb card in, its very usable.

As said before if its lost/stolen, its not such a problem, an iphone 5s would be another matter all together.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
We bought one at xmas for our 12 next month daughter. Its never out of her hand, does everything she needs.

An 8gb storage would have just improved it that bit but with a 32gb card in, its very usable.

As said before if its lost/stolen, its not such a problem, an iphone 5s would be another matter all together.

Yes, that's a good point. I'm afraid she may loose it or possible get it stolen.
I'll probably just get the Moto E and see how she does. If she proves she can be responsible, I'll get her something better for X-Mas.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's a good point. I'm afraid she may loose it or possible get it stolen.
I'll probably just get the Moto E and see how she does. If she proves she can be responsible, I'll get her something better for X-Mas.
I think that is a very good idea.

From an AOSP M8

nvelez

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
If it's worth anything to you. I just bought a Moto E (2015) for my 12 (in a week) daughter. Before buying it the local cell store clerk let me test a model for a week. White with a pink band like my daughter is getting. I allowed my 16 year old niece test it out for 2 days. She came back ready to trade in her iPhone 5c for it. She said the phone was cuter than the iPhone and did everything the iphone could do with the exception of iphone exclusive things like facetime obviously. She got her friends to download other chat services and is now asking me to take her to the store.

The whole "ewww, your dad didn't get you an iPhone" kinda worried me too. I talked to my daughter about it a few months ago and she straight up told me she was an Android girl. My niece just allowed me to know that young girls don't really care as long as it's cute.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My soon to be 12 year old daughter just got an iPod 5 (64 GB) for her birthday to replace her iPod 4. She saved up and contributed 2/3 of the cost. When cell phone time comes, I think the Moto E will work fine on Verizon Prepaid (we are already on Verizon). She can use the E as a mobile hotspot for getting her Apple data down when she isn't on the home WiFi.

Posted from my Dell 7840