Verizon Moto E 2nd gen on Straight Talk

Boston02116

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Can the Verizon Moto E 2nd Gen be activated on Straight Talk with the ST Verizon CDMA LTE sim?

If so are there instructions on how to activate so it will work flawlessly. I read that the MMS messaging doesn't work? APN settings or something. Is there a work around for this? Or does it now work? Thanks!

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Verizon Moto E 2nd gen on Straigh Talk

I was the one to say picture messaging wouldn't work. Because it didn't for the first day, turns out I had to call them to get the sim provisioned correctly, then do a factory reset. And it works flawlessly now. Data, Text, Picture Messaging. But my mom now owns the Galaxy S5 through Straight Talk, so the Moto E 2nd Gen is just a backup phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Boston02116

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad it worked out. I'm actually looking at the Straight Talk S5 and the Verizon Moto E gen2. Both are on sale Black Friday. I've been on ST for 6 years and like the Verizon network phones. Have used a Galaxy Proclaim for the past 2 years. I'm a bit frugal but time to upgrade to something a little better. I'm wondering how much better the S5 is than the Moto E?

Also do did your mom upgrade the OS in the Moto E to Lollipop before she decommissioned the phone? If so did it still work okay? I've read in a couple of forums that the upgrade locked the APN settings etc and data wouldn't work properly afterward.

Thanks!

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes I did update it. I did that after I charged it to 100% straight out of the box. And everything worked except picture messaging!! But I called straight talk and told them I couldn't edit the apn (which sadly you can't) but after they messed around in their system, they had me factory reset with the sim still in the phone, and go through set up. After that everything worked flawlessly! I was going to use the Moto E, after my iPhone 5C shattered on its first drop from waist height in an Otterbox (It seriously upset me) but I really missed Android even after the month and a half I used iOS. So I'm back to my LG Transpyre, (which updated to 5.1.1 btw) but I'll be upgrading to a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime on AT&T sometime this week. But both the Moto E 2nd Gen & LG Transpyre have been amazing phones for the course of time we used them. And if you can I'd highly recommend the S5. My mom absolutely loves it! The camera, battery life, screen, and storage are just spectacular in her opinion. Only the Straight Talk version of the S5 runs KitKat 4.4.2. And I don't think Straight Talk updates their phones, I've even checked Samsung Kies and it said the S5 was on the latest software. So if you don't mind an slightly outdated Android version then go for the S5. I've also looked around on Walmart's website and I've found a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Verizon with a great price. I'll look for again and put the pictures up, if I find it. I hope this helps, and that I wasn't to confusing.

Update: Seems like the AC App won't let me upload any picture attachments.

Boston02116

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

Very interesting! Walmart BF ad also has the Straight Talk Grand Prime on Verizon Network for $49 which has Lollipop. But seemed like the reviews were just so-so. One reviewer said the LTE speed was slow. Display was washed out. Low pixel count. Maybe the $200+ price tag was a factor in the reviews. Moto E 2nd gen has most of the features of the Grand Prime with slightly smaller screen and no camera flash. Please let me know what you think of the phone if you get one before the Black Friday sale starts. Call quality & battery life are important to me. Moto E is only $10 in the Best Buy BF. So it's like a throw away. I'd probably order 2-3 as backups.

I don't need to have the S5 but I figured it performed circles around the Grand Prime of Moto E 2nd gen. It's $229 in the walmart BF sale on page 9

With the BOGO deal on refill cards, I bought a stack of refills so I'll be staying on Straight Talk for a while. And I like Verizon coverage. Get some refills for your mom. I can't post the link but it's over at Slick Deals in the deal talk forum.

Thanks

Last edited:

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the info. And I believe the Straight Talk Grand Prime only runs KitKat 4.4.4. While the AT&T GoPhone Grand Prime runs Lollipop 5.1.1. Which is very weird to me. But I'll definitely be getting the Grand Prime. I've already found a case, a tempered glass screen protector, and a 16gb class 10 Samsung micro SD card. So I'll be set. Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday my money will come in, so I can finally go to the store and purchase the phone. It even has NFC! And I'd like to think maybe Samsung would bring Samsung Pay to the phone if the phone has the correct hardware. Anyways, I'll be sure to update you when I do get the phone.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the info. And I believe the Straight Talk Grand Prime only runs KitKat 4.4.4. While the AT&T GoPhone Grand Prime runs Lollipop 5.1.1. Which is very weird to me. But I'll definitely be getting the Grand Prime. I've already found a case, a tempered glass screen protector, and a 16gb class 10 Samsung micro SD card. So I'll be set. Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday my money will come in, so I can finally go to the store and purchase the phone. It even has NFC! And I'd like to think maybe Samsung would bring Samsung Pay to the phone if the phone has the correct hardware. Anyways, I'll be sure to update you when I do get the phone.

P.S. I can tell you that call quality isn't the best on the Moto E. I think it's because the microphone placement. My mom said people always complained they couldn't hear her, so she'd hang up and try again. It got frustrating, that's why she finally gave in for the S5.

Boston02116

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

Some reviewers said the call quality on the Grand Prime wasn't the best. Some say it's okay. Who Knows? My Galaxy Proclaim has always had good audio quality for talking and listening. The Walmart BF ad shows the Straight talk Grand Prime runs Lollipop unless it's a misprint.

Some reviewers thought the Moto E had good call quality. Some said just okay.

I think when some consumers review phones they expect the world and if the display doesn't look like an $800 phone or it isn't lightning fast like a Galaxy 6 they give bad marks in every category. To me sound quality in calls, good reception and battery life are the most important features. Not streaming software or display color accuracy or other nonsense people complain about. I don't expect everything to be great on a phone that's practically a throw-away. The key is good value.

I'll wait to hear your report on the Grand Prime.

Thanks

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Ok. So I've had the phone a day now, and so far it has done everything I have wanted it to do. First of all, battery life is outstanding for me. I can get through a whole day and have 50%-70% left. Pictures are crisp and clear, the screen is better than my old LG. And sound quality on calls is great for me, also I always maintain 3-4 bars of LTE service through Straight Talks AT&T sim card. So I'd have to say, this is one of the best phones I've owned. I hope this helps you decide for yourself.

Boston02116

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your opinion. I did notice it has the same chip set and screen resolution as the Moto E 2nd Gen. I just ordered 2 of the Moto E from Best Buy BF sale online for $9.98. I may go for the BF sale at WM for the Straight talk Grand Prime and compare the two.

Thanks again

Boston02116

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

BTW, is there a reason you chose 16GB SD card and not 32GB or 64GB? Just cost? Don't need capacity?

Thanks

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
It was just the cost. ($10 on sale at Walmart in store for me) Besides I only take a few pictures and I have some music. So it suits me just fine. I still have 14gb free on it, and 2gb free on the internal storage. So I'm all good. Also the Grand Prime has 1.5gb of ram compared to the 1gb on the Moto E. That makes a huge difference, I don't have home screen or app drawer redraws anymore. I just love how snappy it is. And good luck with your comparison, either way they both are great phones for the cost.

autouzi

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site

Straight talk said my brand new Verizon prepaid moto E 2nd gen was incompatible when I tried to activate it with the ST CDMA/lte sim. Not sure if I got a bad rep or what... Will try to call back soon.

Boston02116

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

I activated mine without a problem back in December, however they've since blacklisted all the IMEI numbers so you have to activate it with Verizon for at least a month in order to use it with another CDMA carrier.

Straight talk said my brand new Verizon prepaid moto E 2nd gen was incompatible when I tried to activate it with the ST CDMA/lte sim. Not sure if I got a bad rep or what... Will try to call back soon.