Moto G First impressions

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Ok, so my new Moto G 16GB arrived yesterday morning and I thought I'd post my first impressions.

I was a bit concerned before removing the back about how much force I would need to apply following some of the reviews I'd read. When you get a new bit of tech you certainly don't want to damage it first time opening :-[. It was nowhere near as difficult as imagined and the clip arrangement on the back holding it on feels very durable and that it will last. Micro sim inserted and away we go!

The phone looks and feels surprisingly 'high end' and compares well to most phones. The only slightly disappointing point is that the two side buttons (on button and volume button) don't feel quite as robust/ high quality, although they are by no means flimsy.

Size of the phone is ideal in my opinion (I accept that some may want biggest screen possible!) The iphone screen looks a bit 'undersized' these days compared to the size of its case, whereas the Moto G screen fills the case nicely.

The Moto G gives the impression of not 'having anything to prove' if that makes sense. Rather than spending money on 'stylists' designing something to stand out/ obvious brand identity it just looks like a phone designed by an 'engineer' ie form and function suited to the task. There is no big logo/ corporate identity other than a discrete M on the back that is hardly noticeable. On future Motorola phones once they have regained some market share in the UK it will be interesting to see if this changes.

The definition on the screen is incredible and the startup animation of 'the world' shows this off very well.The touchscreen is very responsive and easy to use single handed. The phone is speedy to flip through various screens, apps and widgets, and I was surprised how quick it was looking at webpages too. You tube videos loaded quickly, speaker volume available is louder than I needed/ expected. Android 4.3 seems good and runs smoothly, and having Kit Kat upgrade in January is a nice touch but certainly not essential.

Initial setup for wifi and email was easy enough. It is clear that the phone is heavily google oriented and encourages 'all things google' but that is no bad thing at all. It reminded me of how Apple operate when I got an Ipad. Huge amount of google gdrive online storage makes things very easy to access without taking up valuable phone memory. I have started to use google chrome on my laptop now because of the ease of accessing bookmarks and open tabs between computer and phone. Yes google certainly knows how to get you hooked!

Little led notification light flashes white (not sure if I can change colour somehow) Its not particularly bright though but not the end of the world.

I was surprised to be able to swipe from the lock screen (without unlocking) to start the camera. Ok so if you want a 'great' camera this isn't it but if you want a reasonable camera with a few nice features you will be happy enough. Flash is ok, picture quality is ok but being able to press anywhere on the screen to be able to take a picture is not quite as good an idea as you might think. For most people I would describe the camera as usable but 'nothing special'. It would be good if there was something to make it just a bit quicker.

Call quality was very good although I have only made a few calls so far. Speech recognition (not sure what the little microphone symbol is actually called!) worked ok too.

My main concern, and the one thing that deterred me from buying a Nexus 5 was battery life. I charged the phone to 100% yesterday morning by 11:00 and have been surfing webpages, testing features, playing short videos, making some calls, showing stuff to colleagues on it and testing 3G out and about etc. Its now 20:30 the following day and battery shows 38%. Not sure about other smart phones for battery comparison but I am more than happy with that.

3G seems ok to me so not bothered with lack of 4G. There is so much wifi around that even if it had 4G as a feature I wouldn't pay extra from my network provider.

I don't like reading other peoples reviews when they are quite obviously biased one way or another and I imagine many will think that I am only saying positive things. The fact is I simply cannot see a downside to the phone so far other than the camera. I bought the Moto G with an open mind thinking that I would pass it on quickly if it wasn't that good, particularly given the price (I paid ?159 for the 16GB.) but I would struggle to justify paying any more money for an alternative because it does seem to do everything that I want, and well. My other issue would be that to get something noticeably better I would need to more than double the price. Obviously I have a SIM free phone (so I can use a ?15 Virgin monthly unlimited everything SIM on a 30 day rolling contract ie no tie in if ever I want to change) so initial phone cost is a factor for me whereas if you were looking for a pay monthly phone deal the cost difference may not be as noticeable.

Oh, it is poor that that the flip shell is still not available other than to order for delivery in a few weeks, and colour choice is limited. I only want a plain black one!

If you are thinking about getting a Moto G, I would recommend it for 'most people':)

bop74

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review and its good to see someone else with a real world opinion. I would echo everything that you said here.

I would echo the point on the cheap power/ volume buttons. I posted in another thread on that I had a problem with my volume button being wedged within two days of owning the phone. This caused the handset to randomly reboot into the loader. The replacement handset still has a rattle to the buttons, so that fact that people are picking up on this (I've seen it mentioned elsewhere) is somewhat worrying.

My first ever phone about 15 years ago was a Motorola and its great to see the brand coming back strongly. I hope that this button is not an achilles heel for the sake of saving 5p in the manufacturing process!

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the power and volume buttons do wiggle a lot...they don't feel as if they're going to break or anything, it's just that they seem looser than buttons on other phones. I haven't experienced any problems with the buttons sticking or not working.
I've had it for over a week now and it's a joy to use, mainly due to the screen being so good and the overall size of the phone. The curved back allows it sit nicely in your hand, where flat phones sit on your hand...because of the curved back, when it's sitting on a flat surface it looks super thin which adds to the premium look.
I don't use cases and screen protectors, I prefer the phone as is, and I haven't got any marks, scratches etc...I've only got the standard black back cover, some people have said the white and yellow ones discolour after a few days but I only have black so can't say anything further about that.
As far as battery goes it easily lasts all day for me, I have the brightness at full and use a lot of photo editing apps on it like Pixlr and LitllePhoto...it copes fine.
I don't want it to turn into an advert for Moto G but I've got nothing but praise for it...it's a cool little phone, when you see it in real life you'll be very surprised by how good it looks, how good it feels and how good it is to use.
Are Motorola actually making any money on these phones considering what they offer for ?135 ?...or have other phone manufacturers being ripping us off ?

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review OP! You're one of the luckier ones who manage to get hold of the Moto G so early on. lol. Even though my country was listed as the 1st wave of country receiving the device, there is no news about it at all. Not helped by the fact that Motorola hasn't really sold a phone here for a long time now. Enjoy your device, and perhaps you can share with us your thoughts of the device as you continue to use it, or perhaps even an update in a month, like a "One Month Later..." type of review. It will be good to hear reviews from real life users rather that from reviewers who likely wont be using it for longer periods of time.

Last edited:

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Alex,
Thanks for that.
I'll try to post again after a few weeks.

Another thing that I've noticed is that it doesn't show finger marks on the screen compared to my Ipad that I have to wipe every so often.

Phone availability here is ok now but 'shells' are no where to be seen other than 'coming soon' on the Motorola website. A few online retailers show them as available to order one as long as you want a bright coloured one! I wanted a plain black one so have had to make do with a cheap sock like one for now:)

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Nice! I'm curious as to how much the shells would cost, and looking to get one in Teal colour. Well, they would have to release the phones here first. Lol.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I also just received my Moto G. I'm also an owner of the nexus 5.

Screen: Compared to the nexus 5, this phone feels much smaller. I'm spoiled by the 1080p 4.95 inch screen on the Nexus 5. The Moto G's screen is very sharp though, for $200 I'm shocked on how great the screen is.

Form Factor: It makes my nexus 5 feel huge. The Moto G is very well designed, fantastic proportions, build quality for this price point is superb.

Performance: I have not seen any hiccups, even with only 1 GB of RAM. This may change as I load more apps.

Network Performance: I'm only connected to Wifi so no update yet on this.

A few other notes:

1. GEL works great on this phone, no stutter for me yet.
2. Having FM radio is actually amazing, I wish the Nexus 5 had this
3. It seems to sip battery slowly
4. The camera is very weak, but I expected this.
5. I'm extremely happy Motorola is shipping with stock android, with a few motorola apps.

I've recommended this to my brother, he is a iphone 4s user that would like to try android. I believe this is a perfect phone for the first time android user, especially off contract.

I most likely will return this device. While I really like Motorola's design here, as a power user I'm drawn to LTE and/or HSPA+ 42 mbps. If it had either, I would keep the phone as a backup device. The Moto G is HSPA+ 21 mbps. I use the Nexus 5 for Hotspot so the lower latency and higher speed helps when I remote into computers.

But, I still highly recommend the phone. I bought it because I wanted to try it and hand-on is completely different than reading a review.

Macktion

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
My Moto G is still in the mail, but it is going to make me a happy camper: My HTC Droid Incredible (first gen) has earned its retirement. Only time will tell, of course, but I am glad to hear so much positive talk about it from those who already have it. Makes me feel better about my $200.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Good review. Nice and detailed! May I asked which mobile did you move? I might have missed it. I must admit it does look like a beautiful phone.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Update on Network Performance:

I was seeing Pings at 56 consistantly, download speeds at 4-8 mbps, and upload speeds of 1-2 mbps. Not bad. Your mileage will vary depending on carrier, time, location.

Network: T-mobile
Area: Suburbs of Chicago
Time: 10:00 pm at night

anon5658834

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I picked up one of these as a spare today & I can honestly say the feel & build quality is better than Samsung phones. The screen is lovely and it is like one of those decent little good performing phones that just works. Camera is a bit average or below average but what i find is it is very hard to tell if it has focused. I wish it had touch to focus then a shutter key on screen. But never mind. Performance is slick smooth and just nice. I did have one thing happen not long after first boot. I was scrolling through the app drawer and when I got to widgets the launcher crashed. But never did it again. This seems to perform better than the S4 imo no lag and stutter unlike Touchwiz. Screen is good in daylight too. Love the tiny box so small!!!!!!Does anyone know where there is some battery covers to buy the coloured ones??

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My main concern, and the one thing that deterred me from buying a Nexus 5 was battery life. I charged the phone to 100% yesterday morning by 11:00 and have been surfing webpages, testing features, playing short videos, making some calls, showing stuff to colleagues on it and testing 3G out and about etc. Its now 20:30 the following day and battery shows 38%. Not sure about other smart phones for battery comparison but I am more than happy with that.

This is awesome.

eco7

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Having FM radio is actually amazing, I wish the Nexus 5 had this and I hope ALL future Google devices have this as standards like in Europe. You don't need to be depended on WiFi or internet connection.

Plus a better speakers or a quality speakers form Bose, Jbl, ect,ect.

anon5658834

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have found an issue with the Moto G. Am using a Three sim in mine with 5 bar coverage in my house. Anyway if i reboot the phone for whatever reason the data signal does not come back on when it has rebooted. I have to take the sim out and back on again to get the data signal again :( any ideas??

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
How odd! Not really needed to turn mine off much so tried it and it just reconnected in a few seconds as you would expect but home wifi rather than 3G. I'll try in when out and about over the weekend.

Looked through settings and can't see anything that may cause it. Sorry I'm no help at all.

anon5658834

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I did a reset but still does it. I have to leave it off for a good few mins before rebooting for it to reconnect to data. My signal is fine and settings but takes ages wherever I am as well. Also does anyone sometimes get the main launcher crashing when going into widgets?? Mine does :-(

Posted via Android Central App

Valtheus

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Which Einstein in Motorola has thought to have the operator name appear at the notification bar all the time... my operators name takes half the notification bar...