Newby set up questions

desert turtle

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Can you set up and use wifi only with no SIM card?

Can we charge with USB without power charger?

Neither has arrive in the mail yet.

Thanx for your advise

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Can you set up and use wifi only with no SIM card?

I have not seen a handset which does this. Those I've handled so far, wouldn't let you use the system unless there was a card present. All would let you access the system once a SIM was in it, even if the SIM was deactivated, but a SIM was required. Can't tell you how the Moto-G you ordered will act, though...

Can we charge with USB without power charger?

Hooking up to a powered USB port on a computer/car/power block/TV or stereo using a USB cable should work. A specific charger is not required, but typically, a Wall-wart type power supply and cable is included with the phone.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have not seen a handset which does this. Those I've handled so far, wouldn't let you use the system unless there was a card present. All would let you access the system once a SIM was in it, even if the SIM was deactivated, but a SIM was required. Can't tell you how the Moto-G you ordered will act, though...

Mine must be a freak then, unless US versions work differently.

Set my phone up over Wifi with no SIM and no problem. Obviously you have to skip the log in/set-up Google account bit through the initial start up process as there's no data connection, but once you've set up your Wifi you can then log into your Google account under "Accounts" in settings. Can you not do this on US versions of the G?

Last edited:

desert turtle

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
thank you and thank you

it does let us on wifi and now it's installing kit kat update

now to learn the touch.... will be glad to say goodbye to my voice only flip phone...

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine must be a freak then, unless US versions work differently.

Probably not. It could be a local carrier thing, though, and that wouldn't surprise me too much. I've handled a few, mainly to set them up for family members, but I'm no phone store rep, so I'm far from having handled them all... Like I said " Those I've handled ". Out these, only one was from a different carrier, but all were carrier-locked.

Hawnz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I can't remember for sure, but I think I set up my US phone without Sim card.

Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app

alfick3

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
You can set up your phone on Wi-Fi only, without a SIM card. It'll only be a Wi-Fi device then, since you don't have a SIM card to activate your phone on a carrier. Basically it's just a Wi-Fi tablet then. You won't have any carrier info or phone number.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

desert turtle

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all again for your help. A bit more about us and next question if you don't mind. ..we just each bought a moto g. We are flip phone, voice only users previously. We both do use google voice and google text from our computers. We forward our google number to our cell number. We have not recieved the sim cards yet so are exploring it through our wifi. We both just turned on google plus but don't know our way around that either. Neither of us are spring chickens :eek:

Question: Google Voice... Can we get incoming calls from our google voice number? How does that work? Can you make voice calls over the internet without using cellular minutes? hmmmm

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Anything a PC can do. You can even enable and Flash with Dolphin browser. Once on the 'net, you can use your phone do anything. It's a full fledged computer.:cool:

desert turtle

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Sauce... you are speaking greek to me.... I am looking for a way to do voice calls without using cellular minutes over wifi. I have a google voice phone number to forward. Would be happy do know at least if there is an outbound way to do voice over wifi even if I can't get the incoming. Any ideas?

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Sauce... you are speaking greek to me.... I am looking for a way to do voice calls without using cellular minutes over wifi. I have a google voice phone number to forward. Would be happy do know at least if there is an outbound way to do voice over wifi even if I can't get the incoming. Any ideas?

Dont think u can make voice calls with Google voice over wifi.
But there are tons of apps that can do it and just search for VOIP at Google Play. Skype is one of them that can make free voice/video/messages calls with wifi or cellular data connection. But both need to have Skype installed to make free calls and free text messages.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

you incoming call will work the same way it worked on your flip phone (will use minutes).

for outgoing you can use an app called groove IP. free version let you call via wifi and paid version let you call via data and wifi

free https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.snrblabs.grooveip&token=yY3o52lh

paid https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=com.gvoip&token=WPZ2BaLE

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Dont think u can make voice calls with Google voice over wifi.
But there are tons of apps that can do it and just search for VOIP at Google Play. Skype is one of them that can make free voice/video/messages calls with wifi or cellular data connection. But both need to have Skype installed to make free calls and free text messages.

not true There are app which will let you make calls via google voice number.

here is an another app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.moplus.gvphone&token=RJDyfFVV

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
not true There are app which will let you make calls via google voice number.

here is an another app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.moplus.gvphone&token=244uaaY3

Others apps, like one u linked too, just make it aviable to login with a GTalk/GVoice account and start using the app. Its not same as GVoice does works with voice calls over wifi that are handled by Google itself. Like many other VOIP apps, can use google/microsoft/yahoo etc.. account without creating new account to start using the app.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Others apps, like one u linked too, just make it aviable to login with a GTalk/GVoice account and start using the app. Its not same as GVoice does works with voice calls over wifi that are handled by Google itself. Like many other VOIP apps, can use google/microsoft/yahoo etc.. account without creating new account to start using the app.

huh what?? you said its not at all possible to call via wifi from a google voice number.. i said its not true and there are apps for that

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
huh what?? you said its not at all possible to call via wifi from a google voice number.. i said its not true and there are apps for that

Nah, but whatever, at least she got few choice to do that she wanted. 😊

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member