MMS notification

shan17

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
OK, so I just got the moto g a few weeks ago with Consumer Cellular. I have a very low data plan so I prefer to keep my data off but when I keep it off I do not receive picture messages nor do I get a notification that I have one coming. Is there a way to fix this so I can at least know to turn my data on to receive these messages? Also, if I have WiFi and data on, I do not receive picture messages until I turn my WiFi off. What the heck?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you have your mobile data off, you should still be notified of an MMS message--but it should just prompt you to turn on your mobile data and then tap to download the message. This isn't happening for you? Are you using the stock Messaging app? I use Hangouts as my default SMS app on my Nexus 5, and it gives me MMS notifications just fine when off mobile data. You might want to try using Hangouts as your default SMS app and see if it works better for you.

If you have wi-fi and data on, and you have a good wi-fi signal, the phone may be temporarily turning off your mobile data, which means MMS messages may not get through. I've never tested this out on my phone, though.

blackveils

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
you can go into the messaging settings, and disable automatic retrieval, so you will be notified, but have to manually get the full message.

you can also install an alternative messaging app like textra or chomp, to make use of the option which temporarily enables mobile data for sending and receiving MMS.