How can I backup my broken Moto G?

drucey

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Dalvik > ART runtime - broken my Moto G!

Hi all,

I read a page about how the ART time can, in some circumstances, help with phone performance and battery life, so thought I'd give it a shot and change my 2013 Moto G 4G to ART using the developer options.

What a mistake that was!

The phone rebooted, and spent 10 minutes 'optimising applications', as was anticipated.
But then, as soon as it loaded, it was a constant loop of crash messages. The main one was 'google.process.apps' had crashed, then every few seconds other apps crashed - from Skype, to chrome, to clock.

I just about managed to get back in to settings (hoping to click an icon in the millisecond between error messages), changed back to dalvik, and hoped to reboot and run back to the old ways with my tail between my legs.

But no.... apparently it's back on dalvik, it re-optimised all the apps, but I am still getting the error loops. I can't do anything with my phone at the moment!

Any ideas? Or is there a way of backing everything up using mac&usb cable despite not really able to use the phone?

Thanks!

edit: just to add, it's a stock device. 4.4.4. Not rooted.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Dalvik > ART runtime - broken my Moto G!

Before doing a factory reset you could try a couple of things. First wipe the cache partition. If that doesn't help boot the phone in safe mode, maybe there's an app(s) in the origin of the problem. If after this the phone works OK, enable manually your downloaded apps to find the culprit.

If nothing works I'm afraid that a factory reset could be your only option.

Edit. Just in case you don't know how to wipe the cache partition these are Motorola instructions:
https://motorola-global-portal.cust...2LzEvdGltZS8xNDIxOTI3NDM0L3NpZC9jQmozQjRkbQ==

drucey

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Dalvik > ART runtime - broken my Moto G!

Thanks for your reply Javier.

1) I wiped the cache partition - no luck
2) I booted into safe mode, which strangely immediately reset the phone when I unlocked the device.

It looks like a factory reset is next up..!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87