Moto G 2nd Generation - Horrible Battery!! Phones battery dies every night alone!!

gps_gaurav

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
hi!
the cache wipe didn't worked for me and battery drained about 15% overnight with all apps closed before sleep, wifi, bluetooth etc.
Screenshot_2014-11-07-08-23-24.png

any solution please
thanks

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried calibrating your battery. Its not hard but a bit if a pain because you need to charge the phone in a particular way....use only the charging cable and adapter that came with your phone, let phone run out of power fully, etc. There are many step by step guides on the net for this.

gps_gaurav

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I'll try the calibration thingy. thank you
but, 15% overnight "without" any activity, fully slept, no wifi/data, blue tooth, screen off etc. is bad in my view.
update - and now it's 20-25% drop overnight without any activity in 8 hours!!

help!

Last edited:

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I'll try the calibration thingy. thank you
but, 15% overnight "without" any activity, fully slept, no wifi/data, blue tooth, screen off etc. is bad in my view.
update - and now it's 20-25% drop overnight without any activity in 8 hours!!

help!

Sorry its been so long. I meant with everything on....WiFi, location, etc. Only thing off is Bluetooth. And get 15% or 20% overnight. Greenify ended up reducing this down to about 10%.

Posted via the Android Central App

Utpal

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey I face same issues. Battery drains faster while phone is not in use than when it is in use. And also same problem- shows wifi ON even though I keep it turned OFF when not using. I tried clearing cached memory but got stuck on the first step itself. When it shows exclamation mark and no command. I pressed Vol Up key and Power key but dint proceed further. Please help if you can. Thanks!

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey I face same issues. Battery drains faster while phone is not in use than when it is in use. And also same problem- shows wifi ON even though I keep it turned OFF when not using. I tried clearing cached memory but got stuck on the first step itself. When it shows exclamation mark and no command. I pressed Vol Up key and Power key but dint proceed further. Please help if you can. Thanks!

What system version are you on (is 21.11.17, 21. 11.23, etc)?

The key pressing can be tricky...you have to my press the buttons just released right to get the menus to appear.

NOTES:
When you either reboot to recovery through ADB, or enter recovery via fastboot the menu does not pop up - just the picture of the android on it's back with the triangle. you have to hold down vol+ and power button for about 3-5 seconds and let go, then the menu should pop up.

Sahilsn

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Thers is very little usage that is why the awake bars are not there. How much the device has been used can be gauged from the fact that the screen was hardly on. You hardly used your device

Also do you face the problem of very slow charging? You mentioned in one of your posts, where you said it tool 4.5 hrs. Is motorola giving us defective phones?

Sahilsn

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
wow Thats a lot of usage.

From the graph its showing that you have Wifi on.

Also what are the two symbols on the left. One that looks like an antenna and the second one that is a circle that says 72.

Another thing is its showing that the phone is "AWAKE" for almost the entire day. Looks like there is an App running in the background keeping the phone awake and draining the battery overnight.

Doing little short busts of charging can't be good either.

Here is a graph of my Moto G 2 over the last day. Notice the difference in the blue "AWAKE" graph.

View attachment 137903

Thers is very little usage that is why the awake bars are not there. How much the device has been used can be gauged from the fact that the screen was hardly on. You hardly used your device

Also do you face the problem of very slow charging? You mentioned in one of your posts, where you said it tool 4.5 hrs. Is motorola giving us defective phones?

Stalflare

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, I have a similar issue, a very long recharging time (4 hrs) and a strange happening that has started a ouple of days ago. I post my battery screen I am sure that everyone will understand...

Screenshot_2015-01-28-10-21-06.jpg

Basically at night when I PLUG IN the phone and let it do it's recharging business, it simply does not recharge. Actually it drains battery while plugged in. I will check my cables tonight (could be that there is something wrong in the miniusb cable), but the funny story is that the phone seems to be awake all the time, as if something is keeping it up (already checked, the "stay awake when charging" is not ticked).

I have tried to wipe the cache today, did not install anything strange nor rooted the phone (for now).

Priya Narayanan

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
First of all Thank u so much for all your awesome replies :)

Last night I did some troubleshooting measures which gave me a great output.

I just have wiped my cached memory in recovery mode which is suggested in Motorola site for this type of battery issues. I have installed GSam battery monitor to get the accurate stats of my battery. Hope these things have really helped me last night it was just a 5% power drain in my battery.

Here is my battery latest stats of last 6 idle hours. Battery just got drained 5% only. Before it was like a huge animal eating my battery like anything up to 70% in the same duration of 6 idle hours. Feeling better and hopeful :)

Hey i would like to know what troubleshooting you did to extend the battery life.. I'm facing the same problem.. My phone battery dies out so soon.

juseas

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
hi
i have found a simple solution buy a power bank battery/ power extender ( battery which you can charge phone with via mini usb) plug this into charger and then plug phone into power bank or battery extender

tapin4par

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
hi
i have found a simple solution buy a power bank battery/ power extender ( battery which you can charge phone with via mini usb) plug this into charger and then plug phone into power bank or battery extender

People with light usage shouldn't need an external power extender to use their phones for a whole day or a bit more. There's definitely something wrong with the phone that's draining the battery more quickly than it should.
The moto G (2014) I got for my mom was draining the battery within half a day with almost no usage. I cleared the cache and formatted her microSD card which seemed to help a bit. The reason for formatting the microSD card was because the Google Photos app was draining too much battery (maybe trying to upload phone's photos to the cloud) according to the battery screen. I don't get to check its status as often, but it seems like it had helped to the point that the phone lasts all day without needing to be plugged in during the day.

acwe

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The battery was draining quickly on my phone, had to charge it every day, and I noticed that Emails app was accessing the phone all the time even though I never used the phone for emails. Turned the settings off for the email app.

Also turned off Location, wifi, and 3g when not in use.

Now getting up to a week on one charge with light use.
:)

Pradip Bartia

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
My moto g 2nd gen is not getting charged since last Friday........ I even gave the mobile to mobile repairing shop but they cudn't repaired..... What might be happened to my phone and how could I fix the problem....
If anyone knows help me out

Merline Martin

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Can anyone help to solve this battery drain during night in moto g2. I have closed all running apps. Even i tried battery calibration,wipe cache.But still isuue is there,its showing wifi and awake is on in battery status(since wifi is off).Is it necessary to do factory reset?As Karthikeyan Vg said,u resolved this issue,can u say what u did to resolve this?Really this battery drain is irritating

M1cha3lL0w3

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
also get rid of the du battery app its crap! its one of those apps you find installed by default on really crappy generic chinese tablets and it comes off the really crappy mobi market which is a really crappy fake google play market, trust me I speak from bad experiences and it does exactly the oppposite of what its supposed to do which is help out your battery life! pah! its horse crud get shot of it! Another tip is go into settings - data usage, scroll down and a list of apps will show you can select them individually and restrict background data usage, obviously leave things like play services and settings anything to do with normal phone operation but if there is anything like media players or maps, anything you dont use hourly just restrict it, you will find your battery lasting hours longer! Opera Max is another app that allows you to browse web pages and you can choose to view them in a format that uses less data, therefore a bit kinder on both your wallet and you battery! hope this helps somewhat! airplane mode at night is another one or if you are in an area where you are unlikely to get a very good signal half the time, why waste the battery trying to search for signal in the background if there isnt a good signal to begin with! just flip on the airplane mode :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa