Moto G (3rd gen): Why can't I to download/replace apps onto my SD card?

A

AC Question

I just bought a new Motorola Moto G, 3d gen. Really happy with it, all works perfectly. Except for one thing, i can't seem to download apps on to my SD card. Iv'e looked around, and iv'e seen various things that all confuse me very much. I don't dare to use Aparted unless i know 100% sure it will work, and not break my SD card. Anyone here who can help me get through the process? If there is one, iv'e also seen forum posts/websites say that it's simply not possible. Although that would be very strange, it should be possible easily. Theres some specs at the bottom, maybe you need it.

- frustie

Model: Motorola Moto G 2015/3d Gen
Hardware SKU: XT1541
Android: Lollipop 5.1.1
Build number: LPI23.72-22
SD Card: 32Gb Kingston Micro SD

manusbaldspot

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: (Motorola Moto G 2015) Downloading/Replacing apps on/to my SD card

Go to settings and click on apps. Then switch to downloaded. Click on the app and then the box that says, move to SD card.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Android runs on Linux. In Linux, the internal "sdcard" is known as sd0. The external SD card is known as sd1. Downloads go to sd0. Apps are run from sd0. If you move an app to the external card, there's still a link on the internal storage, because Android looks on sd0 for apps. (And if the pieces of the app that get moved are about the size of a link - which is common - you haven't saved any space, you've just made loading apps slower.)

You can root, then run an app like External 2 Internal SD (Root) so that the external card gets mounted as sd0 and the internal partition gets mounted as sd1. The card won't last as long with being written to constantly (all your data storage will be on the card), but most good cards will last longer than you want to keep the phone. (Make sure you keep anything you don't want to lose backed up, anyway. Even if it's on internal storage, you can't recover data from a phone that's been driven over or dropped in a lake.)

Dubois34

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Go to the Settings/Apps don't go to Downloaded go to On SD CARD at the top it will display all of the apps that are capable of being moved to the SD card or are already installed on the SD card (checkboxes with check) highlight the app and move it to the SD card. That is all you have to do. Unfortunately when the app updates you will need to move it back to the SD card. You will do it from the Apps/On SD Card menu very easy.

John Garnett

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Can you not use an app like App Manager3?
It shows apps that can be moved but some have warnings re not working properly from card when moved. The phone settings/app/ sd card doesn't give any warnings

JohnG

Ruchir Rege

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I am not able to see the ON SD CARD tab, even though i have an SD card inserted. Can you please let know what could be the issue? thanks in advance

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hiya I've had the same problem I've had to go into settings USB an storage an format the SD card an it's working fine now gives you two options one for pictures an things an the bottom one for apps hope this helps x

Irranath

May 7, 2016
Visit site
I was able to do this successfully after formatting the SD card.
Of course I backed up all data on it first (Especially photos/videos).

I then went to Settings > Storage > SD > Format

Once the format completed, I then selected Setup and it gives you the option to format the SD card so you can save Apps etc to it. It will format again but at least but then allows you to start storing apps on your SD card afterward.

Hope this makes sense. This method worked for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress