Switching from Nexus 4 to Moto G - ATT straight talk Q's...can I get some help?

A

AC Question

Switching from Nexus 4 to Moto G - ATT straight talk Q's.....

Hello there,

I would appreciate your help.

I am interested in buying the Moto G 3rd Gen 16MB model.

My questions are as follows:

My current Nexus 4 phone does not have LTE. The Moto G does.

If I switch the Micro SIM from my nexus 4 into the Moto G, will I get LTE through straight talk? (I use AT&T micro sim at present)

Can I keep my current phone number?

And lastly, will I automatically carry over contacts between phones?

Thanks for your help

Lee

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Switching from Nexus 4 to Moto G - ATT straight talk Q's.....

Hi, the answer to all is yes. But you might have to call ST and have them provision your sim card for lte. Also, you may have to manually add your APN settings to the new phone.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

All ST AT&T micro SIMs produced in the last 3-4 are provisioned for LTE... You should be able to just power down the N4, move the SIM to the Moto G, power it on and it will work. The SIM will auto-provision itself, although it may require you to select the correct APN (if I remember correctly, I got like 15 APNs built when I inserted mine), and then delete all the incorrect ones to function properly or in rare cases delete them all and enter the correct one manually.

But otherwise, like mrsmumbles said, yes to everything.

BTW, I went from a N4 to the Moto G 3rd gen, it is a nice step up without getting too big. You will like it.

bafare

May 15, 2014
Visit site

The answer is yes! You may need a new sim card to get LTE. Also, you need the APN settings for straight talk. That is all you need. It is easy stuff and not difficult as you think. I had straight talk before switching to Cricket.

Posted via the Android Central App on Moto X 2014/Moto G3/Moto G1/Lenovo Tab S8/ Lenovo Yoga 11 on $35 Cricket wireless plan.

Spandan Joshi

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

The answer is yes! I changed to Moto G3 from my Nexus 5
It's an amazing experience!

waxwabbit

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your info gentlemen.

Follow up Qs:

Are you getting good LTE coverage thru ST (at-t)?

Do you have the AP settings please?

Thanks

Lee

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Straight talk APN settings are all over in various unlocked phone forums. Nexus 5 is one I know of. Simple search should find them.

Mrtnred77

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site

All ST AT&T micro SIMs produced in the last 3-4 are provisioned for LTE... You should be able to just power down the N4, move the SIM to the Moto G, power it on and it will work. The SIM will auto-provision itself, although it may require you to select the correct APN (if I remember correctly, I got like 15 APNs built when I inserted mine), and then delete all the incorrect ones to function properly or in rare cases delete them all and enter the correct one manually.

But otherwise, like mrsmumbles said, yes to everything.

BTW, I went from a N4 to the Moto G 3rd gen, it is a nice step up without getting too big. You will like it.

So, at&t sim works? I just bought a unlocked 8gb 3rd gen , rep from ST told me it may not work....

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm using the 16gb XT1540 unlocked on Straight Talk. Just popped in the sim and did the activation. No fuss or problems, didn't have to manually program anything.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I made the switch a couple of months ago, and while I liked the Nexus 4, the Moto G is way better and faster and the battery life is fantastic compared to the N4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87