Software Overall: 9/10
Camera 8/10
Final verdict: Worth buying

Rajamass: Moto G4 Plus Review

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android Central's Moto G Plus Review

I fail to understand a design & build quality rating of 8/10, when you note they've cheapened the case material, degraded the ergonomics (no more hand-fitting curved back) and eliminated the IPX7 water resistance. Now, build-quality-wise, isn't it pretty much just "average?"

Then there Daniel Bader's comment: "Loose, plasticky buttons and back cover."

Jim

shammuhm

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Moto G4 Plus

hii Good Morning
Anyone can tell about Moto G4 Plus, can i buy this cell..
which the best andorid cell within 15000 ?
Can anyone suggest me plzzzzz

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto G4 Plus, what do you all know about it?

Your username and the budget number you used implies you're in India? If so: Best do your homework and find out what experiences your fellow countrymen and women are having with this device, before you go spending your hard-earned Rs.

shoprovers

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Moto G4 Plus, what do you all know about it?

Moto g plus is a phone which is around the price of 14,500 rupees available on Amazon.It has many features like finger sensor,marshmallow version,octa core processor,3gb ram,32 gb internal memory,16 mp primary camera and 5 mp front camera.
At last,Moto is well known for his good performance without hanging problem.So,its the best phone under 15,000 rupees.
Thanks

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moto G4 Plus - Review from The Verge

Moto G4 Plus review: no | The Verge

TLDR version is that the Verge hated it. Vlad had some complaints that I am NOT seeing on my device (lag, sluggishness, bad camera) and praised some things that I think are not as good as he thinks they are - but that said, he ended up with an average score of 7.4 that he downgraded to a 6.8. Using their categories, I end up with a 7.8 which I bump up to a 7.9 because it's a $300 phone. To be totally fair, Vlad was using the G4 Plus that has 2GB RAM and 16GB storage and I have the one with 4GB RAM and 64GB Storage. Otherwise our devices should be identical. I've also only used mine for two hours, while he's used it for many, many days so it's entirely possible mine will take a turn for the worse with some usage.

2016-07-11.png

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto G4 Plus - Review from The Verge

It will be interesting to see how you feel about it once everything is ticking like it should.

Extra RAM helps a ton with performance. Maybe that's why you're liking yours better so far!

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site

Wow I'm surprised you have it a 5 for design. I wonder what color you got. The design and build quality are amazing for me. I read everywhere that this was plastic but it feels nothing like it. It feels premium and I'm coming from an HTC M8.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

That's the review I expected from Vlad Savov.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I really do like the feel of the device in general, although I have to say I definitely prefer metal phones. I especially like the feel of the back material and I have no complaints on build quality. I went with a 5 because of the decision to have a front FPS that's not a home button and to also have on screen buttons. I'd rather they go all out one direction or the other - on screen buttons with FPS on the rear or off screen buttons with FPS on the front doubling as the home button.

Daniel-san, must talk. Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later, [makes squish gesture] get squish just like grape. Here, karate, same thing. Either you karate do "yes" or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so," [makes squish gesture], just like grape. Understand?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

From the review:
But most of all, I’m irate that Motorola’s once-great Moto G budget handset has been turned into a compromised and nondescript piece of technological mediocrity.
That is pretty much the take I got from reading prior reviews. Lenovorola took just about all the things that made the Moto G such a neat device and did away with them. Now it's just an econo-phablet. And not even all that "econo," to boot.

What a shame :(

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

From the review:

That is pretty much the take I got from reading prior reviews. Lenovorola took just about all the things that made the Moto G such a neat device and did away with them. Now it's just an econo-phablet. And not even all that "econo," to boot.

What a shame :(

Other than the size, what was taken away that made the moto g great?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't get the sense that anything is missing from the phone. Granted, I had it for just a few hours to play with before my wife took over - she doesn't know it doesn't have NFC and if I tell her in 3 months she'll likely be surprised (doesn't use android pay, etc) - other than that, what features are missing? This seems to be the best G by a long ways from what I can tell. Best performing, best camera, decent screen, battery life seemed solid, software is obviously good... the only weak point seems to be the processor, and there's no discernible lag, etc in my experience with it.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Other than the size, what was taken away that made the moto g great?
From the reviews I've read: Prior "G"s were made of better materials. Current ones just "plain old" plastic. One reviewer noted the buttons didn't quite rattle, but were discernibly loose, as compared to earlier versions. Back is no longer curved. May seem minor: But a textured, curved back is a great aid to maintaining grip. It lost its IPX7 water resistance. (Tho it's still nano-coated and splash-resistant, like my 1st Gen.) And, as you note: The size.

We'll have to see, once a sufficient number get in circulation, here in the U.S., but I suspect I'll be taking a pass on this one. Right now I'm holding out hope for the smaller of the two new Nexus devices that are in the pipe.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I don't get the sense that anything is missing from the phone. Granted, I had it for just a few hours to play with before my wife took over - she doesn't know it doesn't have NFC and if I tell her in 3 months she'll likely be surprised (doesn't use android pay, etc) - other than that, what features are missing? This seems to be the best G by a long ways from what I can tell. Best performing, best camera, decent screen, battery life seemed solid, software is obviously good... the only weak point seems to be the processor, and there's no discernible lag, etc in my experience with it.

I have been reading it likes to over heat? Any issues with heat with the CPU while taking photos or playing games/video ect?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I have been reading it likes to over heat? Any issues with heat with the CPU while taking photos or playing games/video ect?

I did get some heat while taking photos, very minor near the power button. That's after taking a LOT of photos, trying to get a feel for how good it can do. I didn't do much video recording but what I did failed to produce any more heat than the still shots with the camera was producing. Neither my wife or I play any GPU intensive games, Two Dots is about the extent of what the phone will get for gaming so I can't comment on that one. We did watch a bunch of YouTube videos on it last night, no abnormal heat there. It actually handled YouTube very well.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I did get some heat while taking photos, very minor near the power button. That's after taking a LOT of photos, trying to get a feel for how good it can do. I didn't do much video recording but what I did failed to produce any more heat than the still shots with the camera was producing. Neither my wife or I play any GPU intensive games, Two Dots is about the extent of what the phone will get for gaming so I can't comment on that one. We did watch a bunch of YouTube videos on it last night, no abnormal heat there. It actually handled YouTube very well.

Great! We don't game either. I was reading reviews from the India model that had some issues with photos and video. Maybe in the US model its been fix. Either way I'm excited to get it up and running. The wife just mainly uses it for web, text/messaging and photos here and there. Sounds like a good replacement over the first gen Moto G.

Thanks for the quick reply!