Moto G4 Plus Reviews

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with them on several points, the obvious ones like RAM and processor are obvious, I didn't know people were praising the OP3 for audio, so that's a new thing to think about.

The screens are meh difference. Moto used better screen tech but OP3 colors we know are just between the G5 and 6P on accuracy with the sRGB update and we don't know how accurate the Moto G4 Plus is yet. The camera I disagree on.

The OP3 camera falls behind the 6P while the Moto G4 Plus was rated equal to it by DXOMark. The examples they used in the video seem to indicate the G4 Plus is better than the OP3 on the camera front, but... they've probably used both phones far more than I have, so I may just have to defer on that point.

The not using the FPS as a home button thing is sorta a good point, but for the wrong reasons and it's something that OP3 does wrong too. The real reason is, "Daniel-san, must talk. Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later, [makes squish gesture] get squish just like grape. Here, karate, same thing. Either you karate do "yes" or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so," [makes squish gesture], just like grape. Understand?" - Not because a FPS should be a home button.

Overall I'd say the OP3 is definitely worth the extra $100.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
It seems Vlad's main complaint was that the G4 is extremely laggy. Now that its in the wild, what are you folks who have the phone's opinion of this? Does this phone perform that poorly?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It seems Vlad's main complaint was that the G4 is extremely laggy. Now that its in the wild, what are you folks who have the phone's opinion of this? Does this phone perform that poorly?

Posted via the Android Central App

No lag at all on my 4GB RAM version; it's more or less on par with the Nexus phones for opening apps, reopening apps, UI speed, etc. Some things it does slightly faster, some are slightly slower, but no lag anywhere.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well we ordered a Moto G4 Plus 64gig/4gig RAM model and its pretty awesome! Said it would be here on the 18th but we got it last night! Over all zero lag and zero slow downs. Huge upgrade over the Moto G LTE. The wife to be loves it. I'm impressed with it as well. We also ordered a clear case and screen protector for it.

Now she is future proofed for a good while for her! My Moto X 14' PE is still hanging in there strong also with no lag. I might see what the Z or the next Nexus device brings for me. Not that I couldn't live with the new Moto G4 Plus. Its a slick device.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well we ordered a Moto G4 Plus 64gig/4gig RAM model and its pretty awesome! Said it would be here on the 18th but we got it last night! Over all zero lag and zero slow downs. Huge upgrade over the Moto G LTE. The wife to be loves it.

This was exactly my experience with it ; got it earlier than expected and the device is better than expected. Good deal from moto.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Ordered one to play with. Will compare it to our 5x and note 4s. I'm curious if it will be smoother and more consistent then my 5x which I have occasional problems with.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Moto G4 Plus FOAM.JPG
Here is a photo of the Moto G4 Plus. (Foam)

Overall Scores
Design and Build Quality: 8.5/10

The backing on its own DOES feel cheap but when its on the phone its rock solid. It really is a minor complaint from me. With a $299 phone though....Its totally fine! The backing's color however, pops just as we thought it would.

Network and Connectivity Features: 10/10

Zero issues with LTE, calls or WiFi connections.

Screen: 9/10

At lower brightness settings its pretty dim. Otherwise for a phone in this price range its great.

Other Hardware: 9/10

The volume rocker was a little hard to press. I think with more use it will loosen up some.

Software Overall: 9/10

Damn near close to stock! I like my Android one way...Vanilla and it just about delivers that!

Camera 8.5/10

Shots are clear but at lower lighting areas...It can be hard to see.

Final verdict: Just get it! At the end of the day my complaint list is just so minor when I think about it. Its a great buy for $299. So just order it if your on the edge about it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/15/moto-g4-plus-review/

Motorola Moto G4 Plus: 86

Pros
Inexpensive
Large, vibrant screen
Great performance
Has a much better camera than the Moto G4

Cons
Plastic build isn't very durable
Fingerprint sensor is in a baffling spot

Summary
The Moto G4 Plus finally brings a great camera into Motorola's budget lineup. It's decently fast for the price, though the build quality might not last years of use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRi3GPDNIHE

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks!

Just a quick update. My wife has been using this device for about 3 months now and we still have 0 issues with it. No over heating issues or anything of the sort. Its fast and just a great value for the price range! Its still a very strong 8.5/10 IMO.

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm yet to experience any overheating myself. Mine is still flying, smooth, fast and there has been zero lag.

My only complaint is the back cover started to creak, it was very noticeable. I bought a shell case which hid the problem, but it's still a tad disappointing. I'll get around to buying a new back cover eventually.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
With 4 Gb ram, SD card, signal reception strength... the delta between G4 Plus vs Pixel made me return the Pixel.
Justifying the expense started to get really stretched.
This is not a knock on the Pixel, rather praise for the Moto G4 Plus.
Now, about those updates.
Let's get it done.

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
After over 3 months with my moto g⁴ plus (64/4) everything so far has been fine.
It still works itself up into a heat every now and then. But as I said in previous posts, it never reaches a dangerous heat level where things start cramming up or the phone shuts itself off in order to cool down. On that note, like my moto g3, I haven't had any unintentional reboots. On previous Samsung and LG devices, it wasn't uncommon for the phone to suddenly go through a reboot cycle for some unapparent reason. I'm happy that I haven't experienced this on this moto g and my previous generation moto g.

Do I miss not having a magnometer for a compass? Kind of, it would make the GPS easier to navigate when I'm walking to places on foot. As far as driving with GPS, it doesn't make a difference, it'll accurately keep up with location and coming turns.

Battery life is still impressive. After three months of taking advantage of quick charge I don't notice any depreciation. I'm still averaging 3 hrs of SOT by the time I'm 50 percent through. I've reached 6 hours of SOT by the 15% warning, which is wonderful.

Screen is holding up nicely. I use plexiglass to protect it, no scratches. Usually keep it at a nice comfortable 40% when using the phone indoors. No burn-in so far.

Calls and texts still coming and going fine.

Fine wifi and 4g lte reception.

Fingerprint sensor still working fine (except when hands are sweaty)

Got the July 1 update last week, didn't appear to affect anything about the phone negatively.

If anything changes (hopefully not) I'll be sure to share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amelia Ingram