buy a $50 Otterbox Defender case on a Moto G that only cost me $69? (Verizon version on Amazon)

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Verizon Moto G from Amazon for $69.99.($79.99 lightning deal minus a customer service $10 promo code)

The phone arrived today and I'm searching for a good case. I had no idea that Otterbox made a Defender case for the Moto G.

Unfortunately, it's is $50 for the case. Call me crazy, but am I being a total ***** for wanting the Defender case that cost almost as much as the phone? Am I better off just save the $50 and wait for Amazon to put the Verizon Moto G on sale again and buy another as a spare? :D

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Verizon Moto G from Amazon for $69.99.($79.99 lightning deal minus a customer service $10 promo code)

The phone arrived today and I'm searching for a good case. I had no idea that Otterbox made a Defender case for the Moto G.

Unfortunately, it's is $50 for the case. Call me crazy, but am I being a total ***** for wanting the Defender case that cost almost as much as the phone? Am I better off just save the $50 and wait for Amazon to put the Verizon Moto G on sale again and buy another as a spare? :D

Yeah, that doesn't make sense IMO. The case is made to protect your phone so you don't have to replace it. If you drop the phone you might as well get another and you would only be paying a little more than the case costs.

Posted via Android Central App

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

The Quality of materials used in Otterbox cases doesnt change based on the phone its made for. the Defender for the Moto G is the same as the one for the Note 3, so they are priced as such. Its totally up to you whether or not you want to protect a $60 phone, but the phone's price should never be factored into the price of the case.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
but the phone's price should never be factored into the price of the case.

I don't see why you wouldn't. It doesn't make sense to have a case that costs as much as the phone. It's not exactly the same thing, but you wouldn't pay $500 for insurance when the product costs $550...

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why you wouldn't. It doesn't make sense to have a case that costs as much as the phone. It's not exactly the same thing, but you wouldn't pay $500 for insurance when the product costs $550...

Insurance is an intangible product with no research or manufacturing cost so I'm not seeing the similarity.

There are cases from all sorts of companies ranging from $5 to $880,000 on the market right now for various phones, but the price of the cases themselves aren't set by the type of phone they were made for. The price is based on how the case is made and what materials are used. Otterbox has a standard price of $30-50 not including sales or discounts. Personally, If I want that Otterbox or Life Proof level of protection, I would pay for it. Just because the phone is inexpensive doesn't mean I wouldnt get a more expensive case. If the case feels and looks worth the price it costs, it was worth buying.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Insurance is an intangible product with no research or manufacturing cost so I'm not seeing the similarity.

There are cases from all sorts of companies ranging from $5 to $880,000 on the market right now for various phones, but the price of the cases themselves aren't set by the type of phone they were made for. The price is based on how the case is made and what materials are used. Otterbox has a standard price of $30-50 not including sales or discounts. Personally, If I want that Otterbox or Life Proof level of protection, I would pay for it. Just because the phone is inexpensive doesn't mean I wouldnt get a more expensive case. If the case feels and looks worth the price it costs, it was worth buying.

I'm saying it's similar because with insurance, you have a way of replacing your phone without paying the full price that you would have to if you didn't have it. With the case, you're trying to avoid needing to replace it. There's no point in avoiding that if the case is going to cost you almost as much as a replacement.
With $600 smartphones, having a $70 case that will prevent me from needing a replacement is justified. You're paying $70 but it's better than having to pay another $600...you compromise the form factor of the phone for protection because you're potentially saving a lot of money. With a $70 phone, it doesn't make sense because you're not saving much. The extra weight and size of the case isn't worth the few bucks I'd be saving...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Question. When you buy it, do they check if you have an account with them or how would they known if it has been used on pre-paid?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
...how did I miss that Lightning deal? :(

It was at 9AM on Wednesday. (Pacific time here)

Amazon has been showing it the day before, so I just set an alarm for 8:50AM. I just sat in front of the computer for 10 minutes. At 9AM, I ordered it. $20 is still $20. :) In hind sight, I should have used my SO's Amazon acct to order a 2nd one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana