Moto G4 or Nexus 5x 16GB?

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I bought a G4 yesterday, it's a cracking phone and I like it a lot.

My problem is that I've seen the Nexus 5x 16GB for just £20 more and I can still return the Moto.

Basically it's better battery life and expandable storage on the G4 v a fingerprint sensor and nfc on the 5x.

Help!!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

chennaite

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Nexus is always an alluring and best device to use. No bloatware and you can enjoy the software updates first than any other phones. Nexus 5x has SD808 which is kinda additional and even Moto G4 plus is not also a bad to hold but I would rather suggest you to move for the 5x. So that you could enjoy the Juice with Android N.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't have a Moto G4, or any new Lenovo/Motorola/whatever device, on a bet. Not after what I've been reading on Lenovo's "Moto" forums. Here's the Moto G (2016) forum: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus/bd-p/MotoG4thGen. Note, particularly, the "Heating issues in Moto G4 plus" thread.

If it's important to you: You'll probably get better updates with a Nexus device. Lenovo seems to be dropping the ball on that.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and returned the G4 and picked up the Nexus. It was definitely the right decision. The G4 is nice but the extra features the Nexus has were easily worth £20 more.

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and returned the G4 and picked up the Nexus. It was definitely the right decision. The G4 is nice but the extra features the Nexus has were easily worth £20 more.

I have been agonizing over which of three phones to buy, between the Moto G4, the Nexus 5X, and the Moto X Pure. Obviously, the Moto G4 is going to be cheaper than the other two; and, overall, it seems like a very capable device; but I'm particularly concerned with the camera on the Moto G4.

Seeing as how you have actually owned two of these devices, how would you rate the camera on the Moto G4 compared to the camera on the Nexus 5X? And how was the camera in general/overall?

I'm certain that the Nexus 5X is going to have a better camera overall, but is the camera on the Moto G4 at least decent/good? Is the picture-quality from the G4 decent/good/great? Or is it disappointing overall?

And I know that pretty much all phone's cameras are going to struggle in low-light conditions, but how bad/terrible was the photo-quality when taking pictures without good lighting on the G4?

If you would please reply when you get a chance, I would definitely be interested in reading what you have to say about it. Thanks!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
True. However, I think the OP is most concerned about price and the best current device rather than what the next Nexus will be.
On price it's the Moto G4, hands-down. It's about half the cost of a 5X or XPE. 5X or XPE? Toss-up, IMO. They each have advantages. (I'd probably choose the 5X, for the size savings, superior update policy and the fact that VoLTE works properly.)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been having heating up issues with my Nexus 5 original and onoplus one phones, especially while charging. It's at the point where I have to shut them off to charge.

For me it's an easy choice for the moto G4plus because of micro SD support!

I'm hoping there will be at least one manufacturer offering a good phone with micro SD support for the rest of my life, lol. I do hope I got the plus version of the g4, after reading about some of the issues with plain g4. I can't care less about the camera.

I hope the battery will be OK. That's another extremely important feature to me.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been having heating up issues with my Nexus 5 original and onoplus one phones, especially while charging. It's at the point where I have to shut them off to charge. I'm wondering if that's a marshmallow issue.

For me it's an easy choice for the moto G4plus because of micro SD support!

I'm hoping there will be at least one manufacturer offering a good phone with micro SD support for the rest of my life, lol. I do hope I got the plus version of the g4, after reading about some of the issues with plain g4. I can't care less about the camera.

I hope the battery will be OK. That's another extremely important feature to me.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
But I gotta say, I think some of the confusion around which phone has what,I think lenovo are having communication issues. These could mean sink or swim for them down the line.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
But I gotta say, I think some of the confusion around which phone has what,I think lenovo are having communication issues. These could mean sink or swim for them down the line.
Lenovorola's having more than just "communications issues." Watching their behaviour has caused me to put their phones closer to the bottom of the list than the top.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Lenovorola's having more than just "communications issues." Watching their behaviour has caused me to put their phones closer to the bottom of the list than the top.

Oh, why? Poor customer support? They are all over the map with their phones. I wasn't aware, during my phone selection, that the g4 is larger in the hand than the g3 models. If I'd been aware, i probably would have gone with the higher options moto g3.

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
At this point you might consider waiting to see what the next Nexus' are like.

I would have had another Nexus like a shot, but with the 32gb 5x pretty much sold out everywhere I opted for the Z play.

All depends how important sd storage is and whether you actually need/use it over drive storage. Do you really need to carry around that much media (photos, albums etc) ALL the time?

I never needed more than 32gb,but 16gb is way too small without an Sd slot.

The 5X is a very good handset and the choice if you need NFC and fingerprint sensor for only a few pennies more.