Moto X Screen Likely Non-RGB

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X being 720p was already a let down, but now it appears that it's going to be pentile as well (Though they won't call it pentile) given that it's just been revealed that the Droid Ultra and Maxx are going to have non-RGB screens afterall, and I think it's pretty safe to say the Moto X and the Droids will share the same screen.

"Update: While Motorola insisted at the launch event that the Droid Ultra and Maxx screens were "not PenTile," company reps meant the specific pixel arrangement branded as such, and not the more generic term meaning all non-RGB stripe pixel layouts. We've updated the piece to correct that error."

Ultra, Mini, and Maxx: hands-on with Verizon's newest, longest-lasting Droids | The Verge

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Moto X being 720p was already a let down, but now it appears that it's going to be pentile as well (Though they won't call it pentile) given that it's just been revealed that the Droid Ultra and Maxx are going to have non-RGB screens afterall, and I think it's pretty safe to say the Moto X and the Droids will share the same screen.

"Update: While Motorola insisted at the launch event that the Droid Ultra and Maxx screens were "not PenTile," company reps meant the specific pixel arrangement branded as such, and not the more generic term meaning all non-RGB stripe pixel layouts. We've updated the piece to correct that error."

Ultra, Mini, and Maxx: hands-on with Verizon's newest, longest-lasting Droids | The Verge

How sure are you that the X will use the same 5" panel?

The DROID MINI uses a 4.3" LCD, while the DROID ULTRA and DROID MAXX use a 5" Super AMOLED display.

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
How sure are you that the X will use the same 5" panel?

The DROID MINI uses a 4.3" LCD, while the DROID ULTRA and DROID MAXX use a 5" Super AMOLED display.

It'll prob be smaller, but they'll obviously use the same technology, especially since it's harder to have RGB OLED screens the smaller they are.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
And you know what? Average consumers will care just as much about the display tech as they will the amount of cores the processor has.

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
And you know what? Average consumers will care just as much about the display tech as they will the amount of cores the processor has.

Well the average person doesn't care about people dying in Africa either, but that doesn't excuse us from trying to save them. The world would be a much worse place if everyone used such logic. We have a responsibility as people who are conscious of technology to try to dissuade Motorola from committing the crime of pentile. It is for the greater good of all those unknowing commoners who are being exploited by corporate greed.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm not let down one bit by it being 720p. 1080p on a smartphone is overkill.

Well the average person doesn't care about people dying in Africa either, but that doesn't excuse us from trying to save them. The world would be a much worse place if everyone used such logic. We have a responsibility as people who are conscious of technology to try to dissuade Motorola from committing the crime of pentile. It is for the greater good of all those unknowing commoners who are being exploited by corporate greed.

Comparing the use of a certain screen technology to loss of life is asinine at best. Especially when there are many people who would prefer the use of that technology. I love the screen on my Bionic and its Pentile. If it looks great, is economical and saves on battery life, why should anyone dissuade Moto from using it? I don't care if they call it Pentile, Mototile, or Roundpotatotile, if its a 720p version of my Bionic's screen then I'll take it any day.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
if its a 720p version of my Bionic's screen then I'll take it any day.

Oh my, good thing for you it'll be nothing like that. The original Droid RAZR was a huge step above the Bionic's screen, and the RAZR HD's screen was a step above that. You're going to jump ahead 3 cycles in screen tech.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh my, good thing for you it'll be nothing like that. The original Droid RAZR was a huge step above the Bionic's screen, and the RAZR HD's screen was a step above that. You're going to jump ahead 3 cycles in screen tech.

I realize screen technology has advanced in the past few years. My point was that Pentile is a good screen technology and at 720p its flaws are pretty much nonexistent.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Did you honestly just try to compare Motorola using PenTile technology to human deaths? You cannot be serious.

It's a smartphone and you're taking this way too seriously.

Come on now.

Motorola isn't tricking anyone or committing a crime. You're delusional.

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I realize screen technology has advanced in the past few years. My point was that Pentile is a good screen technology and at 720p its flaws are pretty much nonexistent.

I think the Galaxy Nexus's 720p screen is Pentile. It's not that bad. I mean, I can see them if I focus and count pixels but then again I'm not OCD enough to count pixels every time I look at my phone.

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I think the Galaxy Nexus's 720p screen is Pentile. It's not that bad. I mean, I can see them if I focus and count pixels but then again I'm not OCD enough to count pixels every time I look at my phone.

I remember getting the Galaxy Nexus and being like WTF, as I immediately saw the pixels the moment the device started up. They were even apparent to me on the Galaxy S4's 1080p screen when I looked at it in the store. Meanwhile I can hardly make out the pixels on my OG Droid which isn't even HD. If you have good near sighted vision it's quite a difference from normal RGB. I've never had a non-HD pentile screen but my god those must have been bad. Thank god I passed up on the Droid Bionic and waited for the Galaxy Nexus.

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
This is usually what people say when they encounter arguments they can't refute. Their minds just can't accept it and label them as trolls so they don't have to counter the arguments.

You put getting rid of Pentile on the same level as saving lives in Africa. I don't have to refute anything because using Pentile technology isn't a crime and it isn't exploitation by means of omission of a specification. Just because you can't tolerate doesn't mean that others do or must agree with you. Pentile is a viable solution for making lower cost and longer lasting AMOLED displays. Standard RGB arrangements in AMOLED displays aren't yet cost effective. You may not be a troll by definition but you're a sensationalist looking to irk the users of this forum (this subforum inparticular) nonetheless. The posture you take for discussion is dubious at best. Remember, this is a phone display we're talking about. You seem awfully worked up about this device or at least earnest in your attempts to dissuade anyone intending to buy it or even like it.

Slusho64

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
If you read the comments below the article, people seem to work out that it has a Note II-esque pixel arrangement, which is in actuality RGB, just in a different-than-usual configuration. And looking at the image in the article, it looks that way to me.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This thread has been cleaned up. Please refrain from calling other users trolls. It is just as derailing to the thread if not worse than whatever post you don't agree with.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This thread has been cleaned up yet again. Any more personal attacks on members or derailment of this thread will not result in a warning. I have warned you all twice now, please, do not give me cause to close the thread.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I remember getting the Galaxy Nexus and being like WTF, as I immediately saw the pixels the moment the device started up. They were even apparent to me on the Galaxy S4's 1080p screen when I looked at it in the store. Meanwhile I can hardly make out the pixels on my OG Droid which isn't even HD. If you have good near sighted vision it's quite a difference from normal RGB. I've never had a non-HD pentile screen but my god those must have been bad. Thank god I passed up on the Droid Bionic and waited for the Galaxy Nexus.

There is no way you can see an individual pixel on a 1080p screen, Pentile or not. call B.S. on that one.

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a link for that? The Verge's official review of the S4 has nothing but praise for the S4 display.

He says it in the Vergecast podcast, dunno which episode. He didn't review the S4 for the site, but he's known for his hate of pentile. He's the one who updated the article I linked to in my OP, adding that the screen isn't RGB.