Upgrade

Wesiswes

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, and have been rocking my Galaxy Nexus since it came out. However, it just took a plunge in the creek this past weekend. I can send texts, use some apps, and surf the Web, but calls, pictures, and video are all FUBAR. So, it's time to upgrade. Do I go with a DROID Ultra, or the Moto X? I honestly can't decide between the two.

Posted via Android Central App

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Depends, do you want pure android or a bloated droid. Also, you will see much more accessories for the moto x. This was the deciding factor for me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Well neither are available to purchase yet, so you're going to have to wait anyway. By the end of this month it's looking like you'll have your choice between the GS4, HTC One (hopefully), Droids, and Moto X. Which one should you get? I don't know. They all seem like great devices depending on what you need.

If you like size of your current phone, it's looking like the Moto X is gong to fit that bill the best.
If you want a larger device, then out of the rest I'd probably get the HTC One (hopefully).
If you want a larger device but battery life is a concern, there's a link to the Droid Maxx for $199 floating around here somewhere (edit: here it is: DROID MAXX by MOTOROLA for Verizon Wireless - Wirefly.com).

Also consider you're going to have to wait a couple months before Moto Maker is available on Verizon; if the Moto X is your choice, you won't be able to customize it.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, and have been rocking my Galaxy Nexus since it came out. However, it just took a plunge in the creek this past weekend. I can send texts, use some apps, and surf the Web, but calls, pictures, and video are all FUBAR. So, it's time to upgrade. Do I go with a DROID Ultra, or the Moto X? I honestly can't decide between the two.

I am still rocking my GN from launch day as well, and I am going through the same process.

If you choice is between those two, I would go Moto X. I like the design better, plus you should see better support since it is on all the carriers. Also I would customize mine on Moto maker, even though I don't normally care about such things. Moto maker should give you access to the 32 GB version if that is important to you.

Personally I am leaning towards the Droid Maxx because I am tired of battery being something I think about, and I get all the features from the X that excite me.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You have bad timing.
If I were in your shoes, I would buy another GNex off eBay for approx $100 and watch the new phones until they've all been out at least a month. You can sell that temporary GNex on eBay in a month or two for the same $100 you bought it for.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You have bad timing.
If I were in your shoes, I would buy another GNex off eBay for approx $100 and watch the new phones until they've all been out at least a month. You can sell that temporary GNex on eBay in a month or two for the same $100 you bought it for.

if you wait, you will wait for ever. there is no good time to buy a phone.
MotoX,Droids,HTC One and major phones have released.

I think motoX and ultra are both good phones. it all comes to size and design. I would say MotoX

Last edited:

Wesiswes

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't thought about buying a temporary Gnex, but that's not a bad idea. I love the HTC One, but I'd only want the Google Edition, and that won't show up on Verizon. I'm debating on the Maxx because the Gnex has never lasted a full day without a recharge or battery swap, but the Moto X doesn't require you to turn on the whole screen for notifications, which I think would almost alleviate that. I will probably chew on it for another two weeks when both the Droids and X are out. Thank ya'll for the ideas!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think the Dev community will be stronger for the x and I like its philosophy better, but 48 hour battery life after a gnex sounds awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am getting the Moto X and have and am still rocking my GNex. I will pay full retail as I do not want to lose my unlimited data and do not want to have my carrier telling me when to upgrade.

What I love about the X.

Assembled in the USA
Looks like the perfect size
4.7" Screen
Good Battery
Better Camera
As close to stock as one can hope for on Verizon
Since Lauching on all carriers - accessories, accessories, accessories
Motorola Antennaes
Google Owned
and the list would go on and on

M J

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Im still rocking my GNex also from launch day, and since the last update and reset it's running pretty good now. Not sure how long it will last, but I am in no hurry to get a new phone right now, so I think I will wait a couple months and see what happens.

If you are willing to wait and continue the cycle, there is always this. Not sure if it will matter to us Verizon people though...

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/08/rumor-motorola-nexus-coming-in-q4/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DroidLife+%28Droid+Life%29

Wesiswes

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I saw that this morning. Thought to myself, "Crap! I want that!" But, I think the closest thing to a Nexus on Vzw will probably be the X. I just hope this one lasts long enough. It's really bugging out. Randomly cutting off, battery life is shot. It's been a great phone, but the creek won. Lol

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
To echo what others have said, buy a cheap phone and wait till at least October. There are way too many great phones coming out between now and then to take the plunge, IMHO. Personally, I think I'm going to wait to see how the Note 3 reviews look, so I know that will be at least October-ish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress