Major Design Flaw with Motomaker

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I saw one video review of a custom X and after playing around with Motomaker myself for a few minutes I can totally see what they mean. The decision to use cartoon-like representation of the phone and the colors, I'm not convinced the preview is anywhere near 100% accurate to what the physical device would look like. I'm surprised they didn't use photo-realistic representations to display how the colors would actually work. I've seen this done by carriers and other manufacturers.

This could cause a lot higher return volume than they may be anticipating...

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I saw one video review of a custom X and after playing around with Motomaker myself for a few minutes I can totally see what they mean. The decision to use cartoon-like representation of the phone and the colors, I'm not convinced the preview is anywhere near 100% accurate to what the physical device would look like. I'm surprised they didn't use photo-realistic representations to display how the colors would actually work. I've seen this done by carriers and other manufacturers.

This could cause a lot higher return volume than they may be anticipating...

I was listening to the Vergecast (for whatever reason) and one of those guys (Chris, I think) said he ordered the "tennis ball yellow" version of the phone. He was impressed with how accurate the representation was compared to the actual device. I obviously cannot corroborate this, however I don't think he was blowing smoke.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
just went in as well, the colors on my screen actually look exactly like every colored moto i've seen online. nice going moto. ... except for the accent colors, and that's because they're not rendering metallic. they should show an image. Like that metallic yellow, that's not what it actually looks like.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Then maybe I have a very weird monitor issue because the pics I have seen of the full roster of colors looks much more robust and "real" compared to how they appear on the Motomaker. Of special concern to me is the crimson and the red. They just don't look real in the Motomaker.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Then maybe I have a very weird monitor issue because the pics I have seen of the full roster of colors looks much more robust and "real" compared to how they appear on the Motomaker. Of special concern to me is the crimson and the red. They just don't look real in the Motomaker.

Did you order a device and it wasn't the proper color?

Or are you just assuming the colors cannot be accurate?

I feel like if you haven't customized and received a Moto X you aren't really in any position to make a statement re: the sites color accuracy... Just my $.02

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

yeah, the red's pretty close though. I believe the color irl is slightly more apple than the cherry they rendered, but it's not bad. I think if anything, a person receiving the apple'ish cherry wouldn't be unhappy, but a person hoping for apple may not order that "cherry". I wouldn't, but i would like the real red. Actually, nix that, i wouldn't be caught dead with a red phone. lol.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
or color blindness :p

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
If I can get around to uploading a couple comparison screen grabs for a link, I'll share them here.

I'm hoping the local AT&T store has some actual color samples in the store for me to peruse first. But Motomaker's version of red looks fairly pink compared to the pics I'm seeing elsewhere online. The crimson looks a lot closer to accurate to me from Motomaker to other sources.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If I can get around to uploading a couple comparison screen grabs for a link, I'll share them here.

I'm hoping the local AT&T store has some actual color samples in the store for me to peruse first. But Motomaker's version of red looks fairly pink compared to the pics I'm seeing elsewhere online. The crimson looks a lot closer to accurate to me from Motomaker to other sources.

yeah, if you're ordering site unseen, just scour the internet for whatever color you're looking for. These are rendered colors, they're not going to be exact. There's a ton of images out there. The pics of them laid out at the show are very good.

i'm going to ATT tonight. :D. i'm not att but i just want to chek it out.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
They had the full spread at the local AT&T store. For the most part, it seems the colors are pretty accurate. The exceptions, in my opinion, are red (too pale on the site) and yellow (too bold on the site). I'm glad I was able to see them in person but, as Phil and other reviewers have pointed out, I can definitely understand the feeling of overwhelming choices. What a GREAT problem to have!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch