Sol Republic headphone controls

Clintg37

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried the Sol Republic headphones that are sold by Motorola to compliment the Moto X? My question is how the controls work. Online it looks like they have volume control and a middle button. As a mountain biker, headphone controls are really important for me, and have almost made may go to the dark side.

I want to find out if the volume controls really work, and what the middle button does. I REALLY want the middle button on these to play/pause music, answer calls, skip and go back songs.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Clintg37

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
No, that wouldn't work for my application. Picture flying along a trail on a mountain bike, listening to a playlist, don't like the current song, quick double click on the headphone controls, on to the next song...

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong but I believe the 3 button controlled headphones only work to control I phones and the one button models work with android. A buddy of mine bought the three button and the controls don't work with his moto droid 4.

Sent from my Moto X

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
These headphones must have been the worst selling accessory of all time. 1400 views, not one person bought them?

mawells787

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I have them and they do support play/pause skip forward not backward and answer/end calls. They only have one button no volume control😢. But if you hold the button it will enable touchless controls. I really like the headphones I purchased them with 30% but at $40 I feel like they are too expensive for limited functionality and average sound quality.

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have these! I didn't buy them, I got them for free because of issues getting my phone.

They DO NOT have three buttons. They have one button, the middle one. It functions as a play/pause button, can activate voice controls, and I BELIEVE it can skip songs, but I will triple check that when I get home from work. I like them a lot, they sound good. They fit in my ears well, and I have issues finding earbuds that fit. The cable is very tangle resistant. I also like very much that the mic isn't on the left or right earbud, but where the two join. That means if you only want to use one earbud, you can use either one and still have access to the mic and button.

silentreign22

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I just saw this and am surprised no one answered.

First off, I manage device marketing for a telecom company and manage accessories as well so I can answer this for you.

Sol headphones are great and are better than a lot of headphones that are more expensive. One thing you need to know is that the wiring for the 3 button cord from Sol is specific to Apple products. This is because the hardware is different from Apple to Android. The 3 button cords can only answer/hang up/pause/play. They also have a single button for that very reason.

If you want 3 button that works on android then Beats works as HTC has ownership of the brand and makes them with their devices in mind.

You can find ways to rewire a 3 button to work but it isn't worth it to me to do so.

Hope this helps

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the 3 button (really one long button broken into 3 sections) the play/pause/skip/answer/end button is the middle button and what are supposed to be the volume buttons (on either side of the middle button) dont work for volume and if held activate touchless controls. if you quick press 2x it skips forward. haven't tried to skip back. hope that helps. they sound more than adequate.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the 3 button (really one long button broken into 3 sections) the play/pause/skip/answer/end button is the middle button and what are supposed to be the volume buttons (on either side of the middle button) dont work for volume and if held activate touchless controls. if you quick press 2x it skips forward. haven't tried to skip back. hope that helps. they sound more than adequate.

Are they the Sol JAX sold by Motorola? If so, even though it looks like three buttons, that is just one really big, long button.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
One button. Play/ pause. No track skipping or volume control. They suck ***. Worst sound ever. Got them during the sale, so I'm not out much. Good backup I guess. If you are looking for buds with actual sound, do not get these.

Posted via Android Central App

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The lower tier ones I got from radio shack ($40) all they do is play and pause and answer calls (works perfectly) they should work fine with the higher tier head phones!!! Unlike my beats head phones (huge disappointment! !) That and poor build quality is why I sent them back and got some soul what you need to do is look at the bandings on the headphone jack. If it looks geared towards apple don't get it!!! If it has an android sticker on the box expect full funtionality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I just saw this and am surprised no one answered.

First off, I manage device marketing for a telecom company and manage accessories as well so I can answer this for you.

Sol headphones are great and are better than a lot of headphones that are more expensive. One thing you need to know is that the wiring for the 3 button cord from Sol is specific to Apple products. This is because the hardware is different from Apple to Android. The 3 button cords can only answer/hang up/pause/play. They also have a single button for that very reason.

If you want 3 button that works on android then Beats works as HTC has ownership of the brand and makes them with their devices in mind.

You can find ways to rewire a 3 button to work but it isn't worth it to me to do so.

Hope this helps

CORRECTION! !! BEATS DO NOT FULLY WORK AND I HAD BEATS WITH AN HTC ONE X+ TRUST ME I KNOW WHAT IM SAYING DO NOT SPEND OVER A HUNDRED DOLLARS ON THEM FIRST IT WAS THAT THEN THE HEADPHONES HAD A SHORT IN ONE EAR THEN I TRIED PULLING IT OUT OF MY EAR AND THE GLUE THAT HOLDS THE HOUSING TOGETHER CAME OFF AND THE COPPER WIRES TO THE SPEAKER WAS THE Only THING THAT PULLED IT OUT DON DO IT MAN

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Like I said earlier it boils down to the banding on the headphone jack k you see apple has a proprietary banding system to connect the band's act as the positive ends and the shank is a giant negative plug so when the band's don't meet no funtionality

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure it is an issue with stock android. I can confirm Moto X and Nexus 4 would NOT support volume buttons on any of the many 3-button headsets I have tried. Only the middle button works (on one headset, not even that). However, on my One X and Galaxy S4, I had several android-specific 3-button headsets where volume controls did indeed work. I have to assume HTC and Samsung modify their code to get the volume buttons working.

I have since moved to bluetooth headphones. Since they use standard bluetooth protocol, all the buttons work as intended. And no wires. Though they are bulky and need to be charged. Gotta take the good with the bad.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
No its hard ware not like i said the bandings on the jack itself its really that simple apple has a certain style and wiring arangements if the bands dont connect it doesnt play the android specific branded ones are simply alined not to be on apples alignment you wont notice the difference until you hold them side by side

from my wonderfully rooted gs4 woot

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non