OK "Google Now" I get it!!!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Great video, thanks for sharing! I don't use Google Now as much as I should be using it - that'll change very soon :)

earsly

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
anyone know how to get google to continue to search on the topic if you expand on it? For example, i'll ask who is the president of the US.

Response: Barack Obama

I'll ask: How old is he?

Response: no response just searches "how old is he"?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I use it many times a day. Some of the features surprise me in how well they work, but occasionally chaining search subjects does get sticky. For example, on Saturday I asked for the weather, if it would rain, then changed to tuesday, then changed locations to Chicago all flawlessly, but when I said, "how about Thursday" it reverted back to my original location, so two subjects deep and "chicago" was just a temporary concept to it.

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
anyone know how to get google to continue to search on the topic if you expand on it? For example, i'll ask who is the president of the US.

Response: Barack Obama

I'll ask: How old is he?

Response: no response just searches "how old is he"?

It seems to be a bit quirky at times. I just tested with the following and got spoken answers to all of the questions:

Who is the president of the United States?
How old is he?
What are his kids names?
Who is he married to?
How old is she?
What are her parents' names?

But other times I've said call John Smith, and it brought up a google search for John Smith one time and another said no such contact found. So, it seems that it is still a bit finicky at times.

It is a lot better than when it was first released and getting better all the time, however. Of course, the spoken interaction with Google Now is only one part of it, there is also the way it reminds you of things, makes suggestions, etc. When I was travelling in July, it notified me in advance of flight delays with a notification, a gate change one time, gave me suggestions on when to leave for the airport due to heavy traffic, etc. It really is a useful tool.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Love it in general. Recently, I was on the street. I asked, "where is the nearest CVS?" Pause. Pulls up 5 closest, with links to Google Maps if necessary. Awesome.

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
When you say, "OK, Google Now" is there a confirmation beep with Touchless Control or only when you press the mic button? I'd like to hear the beep when I'm not looking at my phone so I know it's ready for the rest of my command.

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
When you say, "OK, Google Now" is there a confirmation beep with Touchless Control or only when you press the mic button? I'd like to hear the beep when I'm not looking at my phone so I know it's ready for the rest of my command.

There is no beep with the touchless control. It beeps after you ask your question or give your command but before it gives you the answer, if your volume is up. If it is off or on vibrabate, you just get an audible answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07