It's that time of the (2nd) year

JAMHD

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys and gals,

I'm due for a phone upgrade and I've been scratching my head as to which one I should choose. Currently, I'm using an HTC Vivid, which was nice and is still running pretty good, but it got abandoned by HTC and after 4.0.3 never got any updates (AT&T, probably about a year and a half ago). For the last couple of weeks I've been constantly changing decisions on which phone to get (I know, it's just a phone). First started with the Moto X, then the HTC One, but I'm afraid they won't give long time support like the Vivid, and now I'm even considering an iPhone 5s just cause of the resale value those phones have after 2 years.
From what I've seen Androids tend to have little resale value after a while and I'm afraid that if I go with a Moto X it won't sell in a year or 2 for more than $75. Is that a real concern or should I just take the dive? I've read it's an amazing phone, so I've got no doubt in that sense.

Thanks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So we're comparing long term valuation in dollars versus qualitative enjoyment of the device (based on features, fluidity, perception of upgrades, etc). It'd be really easy to put those two concepts on separate plots and see where each device intersects, but it might make more sense to just consider that as one aspect of a side by side comparison such as:

Metrics.jpg

These aren't necessarily the numbers I'd use, but I like to use this approach with 10 or so devices to narrow it down and see where my inclinations are, then spend a lot of time hanging out with them in the store, etc to make a final call.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I have both but I tend to lean more towards the ONE as my daily driver. I will say that the radios (especially its 4G/LTE) are better on the X. I guess I lean toward the ONE more because it looks more professional while the X just seems blah. Don't get me wrong, the X's build quality is awesome! I just prefer the ONE's asthetics better. Also to note, even though the one's sound is much cleaner with its stereo speakers, the X's is louder. The ONE also charges more slowly than the X.

On the software side, both are just as customizable so the validity of that chart is in question. An 8 for the ONE and a 10 for the X? They both do the same thing. Besides, once you add Nova to both, there is no difference....it's only you and your personality that makes it different. As for longevity of updates, you know the ONE is being bumped to 4.3 as I write this. Will it see 4.4? Not sure. The Moto X just got a camera update and is poised to get, most likely, 4.3.1 within the next month or so. Will the X see 4.4? Of coarse it will. But at some point, all manufacturers stop updating because most everyone has upgraded to a newer phone. It's a never ending cycle that will never stop. Even though apple updates older generations, the phones are basically the same so it's easy for them. The only thing is that they leave off "key" upgrades to make you want the newer version.

Resale? Well, the iphone has everyone beat. I did however at BB got 200 bucks for a trade in on my GS3 so that made my GS4 essentially free. Radio Shack is the worst for trade-ins. But I don't worry about it...I just pay the difference if I trade a phone in. Usually I don't though because I use them as hand me downs to family members.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
On the software side, both are just as customizable so the validity of that chart is in question.
These aren't necessarily the numbers I'd use

Honestly made this thing up in a few minutes (obviously less than 20 from the OP's post to mine) while 9 hours into my work shift ;) . I think the general shape of the numbers is more the concept, but not really going to argue the specific details because there was very little thought put into the values other than a general idea :)

The One and X are both pretty awesome phones, but I think they have max appeal to fairly distinct philosophies with a large general group that appreciates both to a more moderate extent.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I would wait a month and see what this new nexus is like. There is bound to be new phones coming out soonish.

It's down to personal value. OK if it sells for 75 you loose 125, over two years that's 17 cents a day. Nothing really much to stress about, is a few cents a day extra worth having something you really love? Its up to you.

Play with them and make up your own mind. I find stores can be annoying with those security tags stuck to them on the back so you can't get a full in hand feel, if you can borrow a colleagues during work.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Honestly made this thing up in a few minutes (obviously less than 20 from the OP's post to mine) while 9 hours into my work shift ;) . I think the general shape of the numbers is more the concept, but not really going to argue the specific details because there was very little thought put into the values other than a general idea :)

The One and X are both pretty awesome phones, but I think they have max appeal to fairly distinct philosophies with a large general group that appreciates both to a more moderate extent.

To be honest, the chart is awesome! I actually looked and evaluated each and every aspect and it's pretty much dead on! What I should have said instead of "validity of the chart" is the validity of customizability because the chart itself is well within reason and it does give a great general consensus of each phone.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
On the software side, both are just as customizable so the validity of that chart is in question. An 8 for the ONE and a 10 for the X? They both do the same thing. Besides, once you add Nova to both, there is no difference....it's only you and your personality that makes it different. .

Really? My mom has an HTC One and has to turn her phone on to check time and notifications and when she gets into the car its absolutely impossible for her, regardless of navigation dock, to wake her phone by voice, ask it to navigate, call or send text messages without touching the phone.. Sorry but you are dead wrong with that observation. They are not the same software wise. This is the biggest difference between the X and any other smartphone currently sold. Some like myself may use it, others may not but just because you don't use the features doesn't make it the same as others.

Posted via Android Central App

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So we're comparing long term valuation in dollars versus qualitative enjoyment of the device (based on features, fluidity, perception of upgrades, etc). It'd be really easy to put those two concepts on separate plots and see where each device intersects, but it might make more sense to just consider that as one aspect of a side by side comparison such as:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAIJA/SwK3gzVEo_M/w632-h404-no/Metrics.jpg

These aren't necessarily the numbers I'd use, but I like to use this approach with 10 or so devices to narrow it down and see where my inclinations are, then spend a lot of time hanging out with them in the store, etc to make a final call.

Right off that bat I don't like the build material score for the moto. I prefer the materials they used and that's part of the reason why the build quality is so good.

I'm not a fan of aluminum phones. They are too thin. Plastic for the win. I'd like to see Motorola put out a rugged phone made like their radios.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
lol its an example, a mockup, not a serious analysis. It conveys concept, not data. That's been explained twice already. This is the third time.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Really? My mom has an HTC One and has to turn her phone on to check time and notifications and when she gets into the car its absolutely impossible for her, regardless of navigation dock, to wake her phone by voice, ask it to navigate, call or send text messages without touching the phone.. Sorry but you are dead wrong with that observation. They are not the same software wise. This is the biggest difference between the X and any other smartphone currently sold. Some like myself may use it, others may not but just because you don't use the features doesn't make it the same as others.

They both do DO the same thing sir. There's a little thing called the play store. Download Dynamic Notifications and install it and it will give your mom the notifications without having to hit the power button. The biggest difference between them is the X's always listening feature by default. There are apps again, in the play store, to mimic this functionality (dragon) albeit no where near as good. Also, you can buy your mom some NFC tags to automate some of the things you mentioned.

Point is, it's Android. You can make just about any phone mimic another phone with a little work and luck.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
and when she gets into the car its absolutely impossible for her, regardless of navigation dock, to wake her phone by voice, ask it to navigate, call or send text messages without touching the phone..
It's not impossible, you can do that with Tasker and AutoVoice. The difference is that on the X it doesn't take much battery and on any other phone it will be very battery intensive. However if you have it plugged into a good charger it won't matter.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89