Is the Moto X still a good buy.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is being sold here in Mexico, albeit only in black and white. I think it is a great phone on paper, almost stock but with useful features. The specs are a bit weak though. I currently own an iPhone so specs are not my selling points, but this is Android, its what i hear about most.

Do you guys think the Moto X is a good buy on a two year contract? It is cheaper than the GS4 and iPhone, which are twice as expensive on contract.

Do think the Moto X will be properly updated in the future?

Is this a good phone for someone returning an to Android phone after a long stint on iOS?

In the same price range my options are Moto X and Xperia ZL

More expensive, the GS4.

Tapatalking on the N7....

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the Moto X is probably the best Android phone for someone coming to Android from iOS. I'm buying a Moto X on contract this week, so I'd say yes its a good buy still. I'd get the X over the ZL any day.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't have either phone but have spent a little bit playing around with a Moto X, I don't think I know anyone with a Sony phone yet alone an Xperia ZL so I can't really comment much on that.

The Moto X is surprisingly small for a phone with a 4.7" screen and feels good in the hand, I think you would appreciate that coming from an iPhone. The Moto X has good battery life, thanks in part to the dual core processor. The Xperia ZL has a quad core, no idea about battery life but I'm assuming the Moto X wins. The active display on the Moto X is pretty cool IMO but you may find it gimicky, the same goes for the always listening feature. Just a few things I noticed from playing with a Moto X, I'm sure somebody that actually has one will chime in soon.

If those were my only 2 options I would pick the X based on my short time with it. I don't know if it's an option but the Nexus 5 would be worth looking at.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how the moto x holds up in two years, but it is a wonderful device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I just bought it unlocked. Switching from my N5. From the reviews this is a very well made device and will tie me over until the moto X sequel

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have both a Moto X and Nexus 5. In my opinion, the Moto X is the best Android phone that one can buy at the moment.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Have to be honest about it. Don't get me wrong, the N5 is a great device, I just happen to like what the X offers much more. Battery life is better, and Active Display is something I just can't live without. I said this in the N5 forums as well, it's a great problem that we have all these awesome phones to choose from. Speaks volumes about how far Android has come from the start.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys think the Moto X is a good buy on a two year contract? It is cheaper than the GS4 and iPhone, which are twice as expensive on contract.

Yes.

Do think the Moto X will be properly updated in the future?

Yes.

But if the apps I need work now and work 2 years from now without needing a system update, I'm fine. I don't need an update for the sake of an update. Plus, Google Play services gets updated without requiring a system version update. And a lot of the Google apps get updated in the Play Store. Motorola even has some of their apps (Touchless Control, Camera) in the Play Store as well.

Is this a good phone for someone returning an to Android phone after a long stint on iOS?

Yes.

bandityo

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Im still feeling that the moto x is best deal out there, followed closely by nexus 5. however, due to the size and active notifications, the moto x will always win.... won my heart from my iphone 5, nexus 4 and my HTC one

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. I am pretty convinced now. I am glad that many compared it with the N5 (another possible choice), as I do appreciate stock or close to stock Android.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was planning on buying a N5 on launch day and hesitated. The further we get from the launch of the Nexus 5, the more glad I am that I didn't and held of for the Moto X.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was planning on buying a N5 on launch day and hesitated. The further we get from the launch of the Nexus 5, the more glad I am that I didn't and held of for the Moto X.

I almost bought one just to do it, but waited. Glad I did. Everyone complains in reviews about all the things I was worried about - camera, battery, size, and that it's not as innovative as the X.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I almost bought one just to do it, but waited. Glad I did. Everyone complains in reviews about all the things I was worried about - camera, battery, size, and that it's not as innovative as the X.

Yeah, it seems like 80% of the reviews say "Unless your buying off contract and only have $350 -$400 to spend, get a Moto X."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Essentially - if you have a Moto X now, there's no real-world performance reason to switch to a Nexus 5.

If you don't plan on leaving your current carrier and don't mind taking the upgrade price and new contract, get the Moto X.

And if Verizon is the best carrier for your needs right now, go Moto X if you want a "stock-Android + Motorola enhancements" experience.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it seems like 80% of the reviews say "Unless your buying off contract and only have $350 -$400 to spend, get a Moto X."
Maybe it applies more to people overseas, but hearing things like "It's the best phone for $350 you can buy" does nothing for me when there's zero advantage of buying off-contract for most carriers. You're just throwing subsidy dollars away and paying the same amount each month.

And in the end, after 6 months or so, I've long forgotten how much money I've spent. If the phone's bad, it's bad, and that's all I'm faced with. I bought the Nexus S for 150 bucks and that's dirt cheap, but it didn't change the fact that everyday I ran out of space. Some problems still exist despite its being much cheaper than the alternatives.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it applies more to people overseas, but hearing things like "It's the best phone for $350 you can buy" does nothing for me when there's zero advantage of buying off-contract for most carriers. You're just throwing subsidy dollars away and paying the same amount each month.

With the number of prepaid options out there, buying off-contract is becoming advantageous for more people. I purchased the Moto X for $540 and ported my number to a GoPhone (AT&T) plan that costs $60/month. Over 2 years I will save ~$600 compared to a post paid AT&T plan. In my situation, I would be throwing away dollars purchasing the phone on contract.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

And in the end, after 6 months or so, I've long forgotten how much money I've spent. If the phone's bad, it's bad, and that's all I'm faced with. I bought the Nexus S for 150 bucks and that's dirt cheap, but it didn't change the fact that everyday I ran out of space. Some problems still exist despite its being much cheaper than the alternatives.

If I wanted to be locked in to a carrier contract and pay more over the long term for a phone subsidy and pay more for data and minutes I'm not going to use, sure it makes sense not to get a N5 if stock Google Android isn't as important to me.

But I don't want to be locked into another overpriced carrier contract. And I want to own my phones free and clear. And stock Google Android can be somewhat basic but I really don't care. I have an excellent phone for my purposes, except for maybe the speaker for music without ear phones, that didn't cost as much as a gs4.

As for running out of space the n5 and Moto x are comparable in internal storage. I got the 32 but I still wish it had SD. The battery is better than average in my opinion.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95