Will hangouts replace messaging app when X gets KitKat?

kjhee43

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have searched and can't seem to find the answer. When the X gets KitKat, will the stock messaging app be replaced with hangouts?

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if the stock messaging app will go away completely, but 4.4 allows you to pick a default messaging app in the same way that if you have two apps that do the same function, therefore allowing Hangouts to work properly with the driving assist features on the moto x. This has been confirmed by Punit Soni of Motorola on Google +

Posted via Android Central App

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
the latest hangouts update worked like garbage for me. it wouldnt notify me of any new messages til hours or days later. i unintsalled it to use the old hangouts which works perfectly. hopefully this is fixed by 4.4

GNexROC

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Im all for stock Android. It is one of the main reasons I bought the Moto X instead of something like the S4. That being said I would LOVE it if Motorola included the standard 4.2 / 4.3 messaging app with the Kit Kat update. Let the user pick between setting Hangouts or or the stock messaging app as the default. I do not use Hangouts, I do not want to use Hangouts, and I do not want any kind of intermingling between my sms text messages and Google+ / Hangouts / etc.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've got the leaked OTA of Kit Kat installed and both the Hangouts and stock Messaging app are installed. You can select which one you want to use as the default for messaging - I've selected Hangouts and it works without any issues so far. It also integrates properly with Moto Connect as well as the "Drive" mode.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I like the functionality/presentation of Hangouts as the SMS client but I don't like being forced into using Google+.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Doubt it, they will most likely both still be there. Remember when the G-Nex got updated to 4.1 and Chrome became the default browser? The old browser was still there and google didn't delete it. Same is true with all the apps that got google alternatives like photos and whatnot. But I'd be willing to bet the Moto X2 will only have hangouts in there.

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it. Finally got the hangouts update last night. Been using it with no problem so far. But I doubt that it would replace the stock message app for non nexus devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The word messaging makes more sense so I don't see them dropping it. Hope not, I like the stock android messaging app quite a bit more.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The word messaging makes more sense so I don't see them dropping it. Hope not, I like the stock android messaging app quite a bit more.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I just wish it had stinken quick reply out of the box! Why is this not a stock feature?

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte17