Notification Sounds

Del1701

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm having trouble trying to change my notification sounds, I can't for the life of me find how to change individual app sounds like messaging and emails can anyone point me in the right direction with this?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
FIgured this out earlier when someone else asked, I dread to think what it's going to be like when the Americans start getting theirs lol.

Go to settings>Notifications>Advanced Settings and enable"show notification categories for individual apps". You can then change sounds as normal.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having trouble trying to change my notification sounds, I can't for the life of me find how to change individual app sounds like messaging and emails can anyone point me in the right direction with this?
1st, from experience I recommend going into your phones settings where the default ringtones and notification tones are found and select NONE for notifications. This will silence all notifications to start and prevent conflicts.
Then go to Messages > tap icon in the top right > Message settings > Notifications > long tap on "Incoming messages" > Ringtones. This is where you can make your selection.
Gmail > tap 3 lines top left > Settings > tap your EMAIL ADDRESS > Notification sounds > Notification sound. THis where you select the tone you want for email.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
1st, from experience I recommend going into your phones settings where the default ringtones and notification tones are found and select NONE for notifications. This will silence all notifications to start and prevent conflicts.
Then go to Messages > tap icon in the top right > Message settings > Notifications > long tap on "Incoming messages" > Ringtones. This is where you can make your selection.
Gmail > tap 3 lines top left > Settings > tap your EMAIL ADDRESS > Notification sounds > Notification sound. THis where you select the tone you want for email.
You can't do that on an S24 by default, that's what's giving people trouble.
Well, not for most apps, Gmail does still have a sound picker.

Last edited:

Del1701

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
FIgured this out earlier when someone else asked, I dread to think what it's going to be like when the Americans start getting theirs lol.

Go to settings>Notifications>Advanced Settings and enable"show notification categories for individual apps". You can then change sounds as normal.
@fuzzylumpkin that's great bud, thanks I was going mad trying to sort that one out

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Hey , Americans are technologically advanced , well some .

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
i've tried fuzzylumpkin's steps and still can't get my google messages app to have the notification sound.

i did go to that advanced category to enable. then what's the next step please?

specifically, it's for google messages. thank you.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Phone settings > Sounds and vibration > Notification sound.
The one you pick here will be the default one that chimes when you receive a text, or RCS message in Google Messages.
Gmail, Phone, and Whatsapp all can be set to their own tone from within their individual settings.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
i've tried fuzzylumpkin's steps and still can't get my google messages app to have the notification sound.

i did go to that advanced category to enable. then what's the next step please?

specifically, it's for google messages. thank you.
Long press the icon of whatever app you want to change the sound for, tap App Info>notifications>Notification Categories and then tap whichever one you want to change the sound for. Some apps have only one category, some have loads.