Off contract =unlocked?

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
My question is, if I buy custom moto x off contract from moto maker, is it unlocked? Meaning can I use it on any gsm network and get LTE and hspa+ (such *** T-Mobile, metro, at, my simple mobile, etc)

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Gunnyman is correct. If you are buying the ATT version and buying it off contract then they should provide you an unlock code.

Sent from my Moto X

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
If you are buying off contract, why not get the T-Mobile version. It's already unlocked so it should work with AT&T sim card. The AT&T version would need to be unlocked which IMO would be more trouble than it is worth.

Posted via Android Central App

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If you are buying off contract, why not get the T-Mobile version. It's already unlocked so it should work with AT&T sim card. The AT&T version would need to be unlocked which IMO would be more trouble than it is worth.

Posted via Android Central App

Thats what I am thinking about doing. It seems easier that way. Thank you guys for your help!

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Thats what I am thinking about doing. It seems easier that way. Thank you guys for your help!

That's my plan as well. T-Mobile Moto X, which I understand is unlocked & unbranded, for AT&T service. Waiting until Monday morning...

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know for sure that the tmobile version will work with att lte?

I found out on wiki that the tmobile version supports bands 2, 4 and 17 and att network runs on bands 4 and 17 currently. So it seems it does. If anyone else can confirm this, I would greatly appreciate it
Moto X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My research showed me pretty much the same thing. There was also a discussion about it in this thread, and I was assured by people who know more about it than I do that it would work. My post asking about it is #15.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Is everyone positive that the Tmobile version is SIM unlocked? Don't care about the bootloader being unlocked. I'd like to do the Moto maker.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Is everyone positive that the Tmobile version is SIM unlocked? Don't care about the bootloader being unlocked. I'd like to do the Moto maker.

Others who have purchased the Tmo version have reported that it is SIM unlocked and they were able freely swap between Tmo and ATT.