The Official Moto X Quick Questions / FAQ Thread

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Moto X: Quick Questions & FAQ

Here you can find answers and ask quick questions about the Motorola Moto X device.
Please look through the FAQ posted right below before posting.

1) What Carriers is the Moto X Available on?
Moto X is available on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S Cellular in the U.S. It is also now available on Republic Wireless for only $300 off-contract.
2) Is the Moto X Available Outside the U.S?
Yes. It is available on Rodgers in Canada, and in select markets in Mexico and South America. Rumors also point to a possible European release.
3) Is the Boot-loader Unlockable?
The bootloader is unlockable on the General North American Dev. Edition, the Verizon Dev. Edition, Sprint model, and the U.S Cellular model.
4) Does unlocking the Boot-loader get rid of my Warranty?
Yes for the regular models, but for the Developer Editions. ---> Nope! Motorola recently updated the Dev. Edition policies so you warranty stands even if you unlocked your boot-loader.
5) What version of Android does it run?
The Moto X was the first non-nexus phone updated to Android 4.4, now all U.S Varrients run the update.
6) Can you customize the Touchless Control phrase?
No. It only works with "Okay Google Now." Though some users have glitched it and got "Okay Google" to work sometimes (Not Guaranteed.)
7) Can I use Touchless Control if my phone is locked?
No & Yes. It is not on by default but with a recent update you can now do some stuff with the phone locked. Motorola has also included the option (say while driving) to say your password.
8) If I don't like my Colors, can I send it in?
Yes you should have a 14 day policy to get new colors if your not happy with your current selection.
9) Do the backs feel different?
Yes they do. The lighter colors are usually more slippery than the darker colors. Plus some slight differences in material.
10) Does the Moto X support Wireless Charging?
No sadly it does not. Though I heard there was wireless charging compatible cases. Don't take my word on it.
11) I don't live in a 4G LTE area, can I turn it off?
Yes you can! Look for a app called "LTE On/Off" on the PlayStore. It has worked wonders for me.

12) Can I use it to tether?
I'm not sure, you probably can through you carrier, but third party alternatives like FoxFi does not work with the 4.4 update.

13) Flash isn't working, help?!?
Steve Jobs convinced Adobe to drop all mobile flash support around Android 4.2.2. There are some alternatives like Puffin and Dolphin Browser w/ Jetpack. Check here.

14) Is there a "Find My iPhone" for Android?
Yes Google has one, go into "Google Settings" and go into the Android Device Manager. There is also a native app on the PlayStore to check the location, ring, and remote lock.
If you are close enough you can also say "Okay Google Now, Find my phone". This works if you misplaced it while in your house. It will ring loudly even if your on silent.

Last edited:

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
BUMP + Updated. Sprint gets Android 4.4, Motorola allows Google now to work if your phone is locked (You have the option), and 4.4 breaks 3rd party tethering and flash.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Moto X: Quick Questions & FAQ

13) Flash isn't working, help?!?
Steve Jobs convinced Adobe to drop all mobile flash support around Android 4.2.2. There were some alternatives like Puffin, but 4.4 got rid of those to. Blame Apple.

This ruins your FAQ.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
A couple other points:
#3: The T-Mobile version is also boot loader unlockable. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/87215/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3Nzc4MTE0OC9zaWQvekI2RTYteWw=/action/auth
#14: You can also say "Okay Google Now, Find my phone" and it will ring loudly (provided it's close enough to hear you say the trigger phrase, obviously). I tried it and in practice it doesn't work that great. You have to be pretty close to it, and it sometimes has a hard time understanding you from a distance.

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Does the GSM Unlocked version still get updates from Motorola like the Dev Edition or from whoever you have the sim card with? I have a $150 off motomaker coupon but would like to get updates from Motorola instead of waiting for the Carrier.

Thanks!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does the GSM Unlocked version still get updates from Motorola like the Dev Edition or from whoever you have the sim card with? I have a $150 off motomaker coupon but would like to get updates from Motorola instead of waiting for the Carrier.

Thanks!

I doubt T-Mobile has much to do with that update.

Note: the Verizon model got KitKat faster than the "T-Mobile"/GSM unlocked version.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa