Newbie questions about Motox on prepaid

TheFlyingDave

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a new unlocked GSM Moto X. I currently have an iPhone on a postpaid A&T iPhone plan which I'll be cancelling once I settle on the a new plan for the Moto X and transfer the number.

I rarely make or take calls on the phone so I don't need many minutes. I typically use slightly less than the 2gb allotted in my plan. I had hoped the TMobile $30/month plan would work for me because it fits my needs perfectly except that coverage where I live and along my commute is abysmal.

So I need a prepaid plan that fits the following requirements:
- is on the AT&T network which has always had good coverage and speed for me.
- includes minimal minutes
- includes least 2gb of data at full speed (I'm not crazy about throttling but it probably isn't a problem since I rarely go over 2gb)
- includes LTE support

From my research it seems Net10 and Straight Talk are the only two options at $50/mo and $45/mo respectively.

Have people had success getting a Moto X to work with either of these providers?
Is there a strong preference for one over the other?
Are there other providers I should be considering?
Am I correct that neither Net10 nor ST offer a nano sim? I've never cut my own sim but I guess I can learn. Do you recommend cutting manually or buying a cutter?

I know AT&T has the $60 GoPhone plan. I was hoping for something cheaper but I would be willing to go that route if I thought it was significantly "better" in some capacity than the bargain MVNOs like Net 10 and ST.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Dave

chiefandrews

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X will not work on AIO if you have KitKat 4.4. Well it works, but there is a problem. The connection keeps dropping. You end up having to turn your phone off all the time to reset it. Search on XDA forum for the thread. I don't know if the problem has been solved or not ... I switched from AIO to straighttalk (AT&T network) and ported my number. Straighttalk is working just fine for me - no issues. I was an AT&T customer for about 6 years. My service/coverage is the same. My X displays AT&T for its network.