Moto X fragile screen?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So with that logic I don't have car accidents so I don't need to put my baby in a car seat right?

Up until fairly recently (relatively) people didn't even USE car seats...and we still managed to survive as a species. Go figure. Also, I said I don't drop my phones...that doesn't mean noone else does.

NoTe 3 2 1nFiNiT1

ProParkour

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I rarely ever drop my phone but I still use a case on my phone. I use the Trident Kraken case. It does limit the ability to touch the side of the screen but this is one sturdy case.

Though, I do have a 7 month old that loves to grab my phone, chew on it, bang it around and throw it. Neither the case or phone has a bit of damage.

Posted via Android Central App

Cane Prevost

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Just posted a new thread but apparently Motorola is replacing cracked screens for free for the first accident. Only if you bought online through Motorola though. Very cool!

disneyf1

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
If there is such a problem that they will replace the phone at no charge, why won't they replace non-online purchased phones? I was talked into not buying with Motomaker by Verizon agent and got it in store. Never had a cracked screen on any phone before and now this one is cracked after a 'soft' drop low onto carpet. It's frustrating knowing there is a product-wide issue with such a great phone and I can't get the same support as an owner who has the same device.

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I use a screen protector because I hate getting my screen scratched.
Having said that, however, my moto x screen is one of the most durable screens of any phone I have ever used.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I use a screen protector because I hate getting my screen scratched.
Having said that, however, my moto x screen is one of the most durable screens of any phone I have ever used.

Yeah, i have to say, my phone has no scratches at all and i've been without a screen protector for months now. it goes in my purse with whatevers in there, and i don't take tender care of my phone in terms of it's surface. I'm kind of impressed.

H4CTOR

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I recently just shattered my Moto X screen, I was getting out of the car with my shorts on, and the phone "supposedly" in the shorts. But it looks like those shorts have some BIG slippery pockets and the phone slid out and fell flat, face down on the concrete(it was less than 2 feet for sure). I've only ever dropped a phone one other time, and what's funny is that it was the exact same way, and even funnier the exact same shorts!! (I'm totally burning them now). Now the whole screen replacement costs around $230, that's also funny because I got the phone for $240. I want to look into replacing just the glass, but then it can create bubbles and it loses sensitivity for sure, not to mention the difficulty and risk of the process. My level of frustration is just too high. Suggestions?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't drop my phone to often but incidents do occur.I have a TPU case and screen protector on my phone but I don't think they would keep my screen from shattering if it landed wrong.
So far I have been lucky without having any damage from the twice it was dropped.I dropped once from 2 feet high on hardwood floor,and another time it fell about 2 feet off table on carpet in TV room.

I don't thing the Moto X screen is any more fragile then any other phone though if the drops are pretty much identical type drops.
But even saying that sometimes stuff just happens,sometimes your lucky ,sometimes your not lucky

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I had the second gen moto x for about a month before it's first fall. I was laying in bed using it to watch a youtube video. Started to fall asleep and it fell and broke the corner on my cheek bone. About a month after that I was at work and it fell from the counter to the floor (a hard floor mind you) and shattered. Had to get a replacement. Have had said replacement for a week when it slid off my coffee table onto the carpeting and shattered again. I will not put anymore money into a piece of tech that can't even take a 2 ft fall onto soft carpeting. Even with the insurance.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the second gen moto x for about a month before it's first fall. I was laying in bed using it to watch a youtube video. Started to fall asleep and it fell and broke the corner on my cheek bone. About a month after that I was at work and it fell from the counter to the floor (a hard floor mind you) and shattered. Had to get a replacement. Have had said replacement for a week when it slid off my coffee table onto the carpeting and shattered again. I will not put anymore money into a piece of tech that can't even take a 2 ft fall onto soft carpeting. Even with the insurance.

Did you not have at least a screen protector on your phones? I have a Moto X (2013) Developer Edition phone and I've always got a case on the phone as well as a tempered glass screen protector. I've dropped only a handful of times but nothing has ever happened to the screen (not a scratch or crack on it).

I got my screen protector off of Amazon and it was less than $10 for the tempered glass protector. For that price, I went ahead and purchased two of them in case something happened to the first one.

Cindy

Posted via the Android Central App

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried one with a Seidio Surface case? That is the case I was thinking about getting when I order my phone today.
That's what I've had on my phone since it was new. It has been dropped twice, the last was in a campground shower room where it fell about 3 feet onto the rough concrete floor and landed on it's edge. It was definitely an "oh sheet" moment but when picked it up I found that it just nicked a little of the surface coating on the corner and didn't effect the phone at all. This was definitely worth the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjsoMVw7E_Y

Mine does not have the kickstand.

Wondering if it will slide over the tempered glass, or if there is enough space left around the border where it doesn't have to.
I can't comment as I have never had had a screen protector of any kind on my phones.

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I've never had insurance, nor used a case and/or screen protector on my Moto X. The screen is still perfect coming up on my 2 year anniversary later this year.

I would have never guessed this was a concern. IMO, you are over thinking this.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've never had insurance, nor used a case and/or screen protector on my Moto X. The screen is still perfect coming up on my 2 year anniversary later this year.

I would have never guessed this was a concern. IMO, you are over thinking this.
I've had insurance in only half of my phones but I've normally had cases and screen protectors on them for extra peace of mind. I work in an office with a concrete floor and I'm not one to take chances with my phones in case I should happen to drop it on the floor. (In case I get a case of the dropsies.)

My sister had an iPhone that she didn't have a case on it and she dropped it on the parking lot near her vehicle. Needless to say, the screen was cracked in multiple places. She was able to go get the screen replaced but ever since then, any phone that she happens to have has a case on it at all times. Buying a case and screen protector for your phone is normally cheaper than having the broken screen replaced in the long run.

Just my two cents here. Take it for what it's worth.

Cindy

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
That's what I've had on my phone since it was new. It has been dropped twice, the last was in a campground shower room where it fell about 3 feet onto the rough concrete floor and landed on it's edge. It was definitely an "oh sheet" moment but when picked it up I found that it just nicked a little of the surface coating on the corner and didn't effect the phone at all. This was definitely worth the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjsoMVw7E_Y

Mine does not have the kickstand.

I can't comment as I have never had had a screen protector of any kind on my phones.

Hey PapaGary, with the seidio kickstand case, does the kickstand work in portrait style? and is the phone stable while in landscape position?

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My bad, so how is the case anyway?
I consider it the best case for the Moto X and I own three others: two Body Glove and one Otterbox.

Is the power and volume buttons easy to press?
Yes, the cutouts in the case make them easy to press.

or does the case interfere alot?
Not at all.

Also does the lip of the case interfere with typing or navigating on the screen?
Nope. The lip prevents the surface of the screen from contact if placed face down on a flat surface but in no way hinders typing.

This is the exact case I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-CSR3MT...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4447774

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699