Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Moto X: Dead phone, can't factory reset

    While updating chrome, the phone shut off. It goes to the Moto X boot screen and then dies. I power on in recovery mode, but it just goes black. It won't let me factory reset from the boot screen either.

    Anyone have this happen? Help?
  2. #2  
    Vsweety's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Dead phone, can't factory reset

    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    While updating chrome, the phone shut off. It goes to the Moto X boot screen and then dies. I power on in recovery mode, but it just goes black. It won't let me factory reset from the boot screen either.

    Anyone have this happen? Help?
    Sounds like you nailed it: that is one dead phone.
    Is it still under warranty?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Dead phone, can't factory reset

    Don't know. It's stock, not rooted.
    Thanks for the confirmation. Think I'll be visiting verizon.
  4. #4  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,861 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,122 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

    Default Re: Dead phone, can't factory reset

    Is the phone charged at all? Plug it in and let it sit for a couple of hours to make sure it has power. Then try booting into recovery again.
    Otherwise, I'd go to VZW. If it's not rooted they should replace it under warranty

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Dead phone, can't factory reset

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Is the phone charged at all? Plug it in and let it sit for a couple of hours to make sure it has power. Then try booting into recovery again.
    Otherwise, I'd go to VZW. If it's not rooted they should replace it under warranty

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    It was at 35%
    I have it charging now.

    Thank you
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Dead phone, can't factory reset

    Plugged in and after a few hours, it's perfect again.

    I have no idea what happened, but thanks for the help.
  7. #7  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,861 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,122 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

    Default Re: Dead phone, can't factory reset

    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    Plugged in and after a few hours, it's perfect again.

    I have no idea what happened, but thanks for the help.
    Good to hear. So no factory reset and your data is still intact?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Moto X: Dead phone, can't factory reset

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Good to hear. So no factory reset and your data is still intact?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Almost... had to re-download all of my purchased apps again... but none of the free ones. But all of my personal settings like alarms and widgets were intact.
  9. #9  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,861 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,122 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

    Default Re: Moto X: Dead phone, can't factory reset

    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    Almost... had to re-download all of my purchased apps again... but none of the free ones. But all of my personal settings like alarms and widgets were intact.
    That's not too bad, glad it's working again. See you around the forums

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Posting Permissions