New Hangouts with merged SMS!

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I'll wait for the update to show up on the Google Play Store. But... I just started using Hangouts vs. using the default Messages app. Is this a big deal? If so, why? I read about this but article didn't tell me why this was important or if it did the fact didn't register with me. TIA.

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I used the one from droid life and it worked

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

Seconded. Droid-Life APK link worked fine for me.

And I'm glad Google finally merged Hangouts and SMS into a single thread. That's really the only thing that was keeping me from using Hangouts until now.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'll wait for the update to show up on the Google Play Store. But... I just started using Hangouts vs. using the default Messages app. Is this a big deal? If so, why? I read about this but article didn't tell me why this was important or if it did the fact didn't register with me. TIA.

The biggest user facing change will be for those that have hangouts and text messages with the same person and have more than one thread open because of that. This is a feature that we've been waiting for ever since we found out that Hangouts was going to handle SMS & MMS.

It essentially means you don't necessarily have to think about how you want to talk to someone unless you want to specify what manner they receive your message in and/or you are trying to specify whether you use mobile data or your text allotment, etc. You are able to choose how to send each message without it disrupting your conversation thread the way you read it. More importantly, the other person can send you a message in whatever way they want to and it all shows up the same to you. If you don't actually use hangouts currently for the hangouts feature (if it is only SMS/MMS for you), then it probably isn't going to be that big of a thing.

Behind the scenes there are some aethetics and menu cleanup items as well as some bug fixes that make it nicer as well.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to default certain contacts to SMS/MMS instead of hangouts. There are people who have a G+ account (who doesn't these days!) but who don't use Hangouts. I need to be able to set up these contacts so I don't have to choose SMS every time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana