Stopping OTA Update via file modification?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Had an issue recently where my Moto G was given an OTA update to 4.4.4 that ended up bricking the device. It had been on 4.4.2.

I was able to restore through fastboot to 4.3 and now life is back to normal, except it will probably never update again because some internal files may have been damaged beyond repair.

That's OK, as it was a Verizon model and I was only using it on Wifi. It still serves its purpose, though I can no longer use the GEL launcher.

Fast forward, I recently got a couple Moto X Developer editions during a recent sale, as replacements to some aging GNexs.

I plan to root, unlock the bootloader, install Xposed and other mods. I want to make sure history doesn't repeat itself when updates may be pushed in the future.

What file or files can I freeze, delete, or rename via Root Explorer or Titanium backup that will prevent OTA updates from being pushed, yet still allow the phone to run normally?

I've searched online, but it seems like these specific files and names may vary from device to device.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If you are rooted it will most likely not allow you to take the update. In any case, it will definitely not happen automatically since you are also unlocking the boot loader.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

ProParkour

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
If you are rooted it will most likely not allow you to take the update. In any case, it will definitely not happen automatically since you are also unlocking the boot loader.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

If you are rooted it will still try to update but you may get stuck in a boot loop which requires a factory reset to get out of.

Posted via Android Central App

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to provide an update:

I've only used mfastboot/fastboot a couple of times and wanted a step by step guide to follow, so I found this one and followed it to the letter:

mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase userdata
mfastboot reboot

Of course, I still found it weird that the Moto G was able to be restored just fine to 4.3 but would no longer work for updates, while trying 4.4.2 would not boot at all.

Turns out, my guide only included instructions to flash system.img_sparsechunk 1-3, and I didn't realize immediately that the stock 4.4.2 firmware has an extra system.img_sparsechunk #4, so I was only flashing about 90% of the system.

Now everything is fixed, and I feel more confident over using mfastboot in the future.

With that said, I can assure everyone that a rooted phone and unlocked bootloader will not prevent being prompted for OTA updates to download and install.

Of course, I made the inadvertent mistake of giving it permission to install.

I don't want to get in the same position with my Moto X, especially if I don't have access to fastboot and stock firmware when it happens. If anyone knows how to permanently freeze OTA updates on the Moto X, I welcome your help.

I like updates, but I just don't want them to happen automatically when I am unable to fix things if bricks the phone or causes a bootloop.

If I can prevent the OTA from downloading automatically and prompting me to update, there is much less chance to accidentally install it.

I am really looking forward to playing with the Moto X this weekend.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress