Moto X Gallery Issue

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Recently, all of my photos stored on my camera in photo roll disappeared from their home they have been in since I got my phone last year. All of my pictures are now in photos. Is this a new change that forces the storage to the Google cloud? That's the one place I didn't want any of my pictures...

If this is something others have experienced and is normal, how do i get them off the cloud. Maybe I'm too paranoid, but there are no pics of me our my kids online and I would like it to stay that way.

Thanks in advance for answering my two questions.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although the Photos app is integrated with Google+, it also acts as a gallery app for locally stored photos as well. Those locally stored photos aren't uploaded or shared with anyone unless you specify it. The photos that you took should still be locally stored in the /DCIM/Camera directory. Remember that photos aren't physically stored in a gallery app--the gallery app simply builds a database of images that are locally stored on the device (as long as there isn't a ".nomedia" file in that directory).

Did your Moto X recently get updated? Does it still have a stock Gallery app along with the Photos app, or is the Gallery app gone? Lollipop eliminated the stock Gallery app in the Nexus line, but from what I can tell, the 2013 Moto X hasn't gotten Lollipop yet.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Other than the regular app updates it is unchanged. Running full blown stock out of the box.

My gallery app had a camera roll that had close to 800 images in it. Then the so updated to the new material design Casio, and all of my camera roll pictures disappeared. I am able to find them though in the Google photos app, but I did not want them moved there. I rebooted and see the same thing. Not sure on how to delete the cache for this to see if that fixes it. I'm about to download es file explorer to see if they are still physically on the phone or not. I'll let you know.

Anything else I should try?

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
And I just tried out es file explorer and there are no pictures now on my phone in the dcim file. Again the only change was the gallery update that was supposed to only be material design.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's how to clear the cache via recovery: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/94946/p/30,6720,8696

I've had "missing" photos two or three times with the gallery app (before the material update, and I think I was still on 4.4.2) and this method worked. Can't explain. Just a heads up: if you're on 4.4.4, clearing the cache can take up to 10 minutes with the animation if the android with spinning gear.

If this doesn't work, then log on to photos.google.com and download the photos to your computer.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Unfotunately, that didn't work. Moto was of no help when I contacted them. First time they have ever been worthless for me. Luckily I had google photos set to back up every evening, but I am still confused how my pics would have been completely deleted from my phone without me doing it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm still scratching my head about this. When you used your file explorer to look for the photos, did you go to /storage/sdcard0/DCIM/Camera/? You mentioned DCIM, but did you check any of the subfolders?

Do you only use the stock Camera app to take photos, or do you use any 3rd party camera apps? Some 3rd party apps use a different folder to save to.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
All stock camera and I did explore all of the camera files. It's odd, like I said I'm glad I have them backed up on Google, but I'm concerned about future storage on the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non