Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop Update News

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: 2013 Soak Test beginning soon

ha, if Moto X 2014 gets 5.1,
Moto X 2013 gets 5.02 and both are stable and fully functional I have no problem with that.
If 5.02 has problems.........that becomes an issue.
if 5.1 has problems and 5.02 runs stable....well, don't see how Moto can win in that situation.
perplexing problem.
Unless they both get the same and both are stable.

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Not what I wanted to hear about my OG X

Problems with 5.0.2 are not universal to all phones. My moto g runs just fine, in my opinion. All day battery life, and as speedy performance as a SD400 can give me. I'm fairly confident Moto wouldn't release a buggy lollipop update to the X, especially after all this time.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Problems with 5.0.2 are not universal to all phones. My moto g runs just fine, in my opinion. All day battery life, and as speedy performance as a SD400 can give me. I'm fairly confident Moto wouldn't release a buggy lollipop update to the X, especially after all this time.

Posted via the Android Central App
Yup.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Lollipop 5.1 is not a cure-all. It is just a step in the right direction.
I'm quite sure Motorola has done some of the heavy lifting regarding fixes.
I was reminded recently Moto used Trim functionality from 4.3 and inserted it in their 4.2.2 release.
Point being non-Nexus devices don't necessarily adhere to strict Google version lines.
As Rosanna Rosannadana used to say: "There is always something".
Google: Android 5.1 Memory Leak Has Been Fixed Internally, No Timeline For Release Yet

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

5.02 has been very stable on my 2014 Moto X, although I did do a factory reset right after updating, which I plan to do on my 2013 Moto X. I may be in the minority here, but I actually like Lollipop better than KitKat, and I'm ready for it on my 2013 Moto X. I've had zero issues with memory leak on 5.02 and my battery life has improved, so I say bring it on - I'm ready!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I honestly don't care if we get 5 at all, though it'd be nice to be current. As for 5.0.2 vs. 5.1, 5.1 isn't bringing any MAJOR features that are of any consequence to us anyway - we only have one SIM slot so dual SIM support is a non-issue, the device isn't shipping with 5.1 so no killswitch, are we even eligible for HD Voice (?), slight reorganization of the quick settings, and a small change to volume stuff.

5.0.2 is fine with me if we don't have the memory leak and we get the enhanced Moto apps (specifically Active Display enhancements) from the 2014 X and the Turbo.

MrCNmN

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

Really love 5.0.2 on my OPO and before that the nexus 5. I am a bit dissappointed that it took them so long for the og x. But it will be an improvement for my girlfriends moto x. They could also fix the memoryleak themselves without waiting for 5.1. That what some custom roms have done anyway..

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Well, my Moto X(2013) runs fine on Kit Kat , I will keep using it with or without Lollipop :)
That being said my Moto X (2014) runs fine on Lollipop,I admit I haven't used it much this year. I can only use one phone at a time since I just have the one line. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: 2013 Soak Test beginning soon

People need to look past 5.0.2 vs. 5.1 when it comes to bug fixes.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop News

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

It seems that early soak tests are revealing that L is pretty buggy on the OG X. Go to xda forums and see for yourselves. I can wait until it's ready, as I'm real happy with KK. I need my phone to work right, first and foremost.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

Weird how the first gen Moto X was one of the first devices to get KitKat, but they're struggling to get a stable Lollipop out. Good thing I really only want Lollipop for looks, as there aren't really any new features I care about. It makes waiting a lot easier.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Weird how the first gen Moto X was one of the first devices to get KitKat, but they're struggling to get a stable Lollipop out. Good thing I really only want Lollipop for looks, as there aren't really any new features I care about. It makes waiting a lot easier.

Is just part of dealing with a custom chip set, unfortunately

Posted via Android Central App

StutterStep

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

It seems that early soak tests are revealing that L is pretty buggy on the OG X. Go to xda forums and see for yourselves. I can wait until it's ready, as I'm real happy with KK. I need my phone to work right, first and foremost.

Don't believe everything you read. People post when there is something wrong but don't post when there's nothing wrong. I'm not part of the soak test but I loaded the build and I am glad I did not wait as my battery life was atrocious on kitkat .