Unlocked Moto X

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I see that Motorola will be selling an unlocked version of the phone on their website. Does this mean that I could take this version of the phone to any of the big four carriers? Could I use my current Verizon SIM card, pop it into the new Moto X, and have Verizon activate it?

Posted via Android Central App

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
If you pick the right one with the right radios.

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. Certain LTE radios operate on different bands, right? So I couldn't necessarily take an AT&T LTE device to Verizon, for example?

I guess I'll have to read the fine print.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
On Motomaker you get to choose which carrier you plan to use, with like 5 options including Verizon.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
No. Verizon is a CDMA carrier and until they aren't the phone must have the proprietary CDMA binaries on it for it to work on the Verizon network. The unlocked Moto X phones do not and will not work on Verizon's network. In addition, Verizon must whitelist a phone's IMEI for it to be activated on Verizon's network. The IMEI's of the unlocked Moto X's are not in the whitelist database.

Having said that, you will be able to use the Verizon Moto X on the GSM carrier's networks if the Verizon Moto X has the proper radios for their spectrum. I believe the OG Moto X did for voice and HSPA+.

So, if the Verizon Moto X has the proper radios, I could take it to one of the other carriers? Would it need to be unlocked?

Posted via a mobile device, of course

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The GSM unlocked on the 1st gen had a t-mobile sim preinstalled. I put my AT&T sim and it works fine. There was an ATT Moto X as well but I wanted the unlock.

I think generally t-mobile and At&t, if unlocked can switch SIM. Maybe Verizon could switch to Sprint but I doubt you could take a verizon moto x and get att/t-mobile service.

Idk though

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway the so-called "carrier unlocked" Moto X would be usable on Verizon?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway the so-called "carrier unlocked" Moto X would be usable on Verizon?

No that is the whole point of CDMA carriers. If you want unlocked phones to be part of your mobile experience get away from CDMA carriers.