Moto X 2014 How much more would 500mAh give?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
With everyone up in the air about the X having a small battery and with reviews all over the place with results, I have just one question/thought on the Moto X battery. If Motorola made the battery 500mAh bigger, to 2800 total, how much more battery time would it give. Might be impossible to answer but I'm curious on some opinions. Would 500mAh make that much of a difference?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: How much more would 500mAh give?

Approximately 22% more capacity.

So if you get 12 hours with the 2300 you would get 14.6 with the 2800

4 hours SOT to 4.9 hours SOT

very roughly anyway...

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I have a conspiracy theory. The Moto 360 battery is rated at 300mah and claimed at 320mah. I'm assuming they tune the voltage so it get the same battery life (Watt hour) as a 300mah running at slightly higher voltages, so they can claim the battery to be 320mAh in paper, I'm not an engineer so I could be wrong. And this is despite what the spoke person said about mislabeling the battery. The Moto G 2014 battery is the exact same as the 2013 version. It is possible that the Moto X 2014 battery is the same one as the original. Well it doesn't matter anyway, because it's only 100mAh difference.

I think 2800mAh is a stretch for the phone already being 10mm at it's thickest point. They could fit a 2800mah battery in it and not increase the thickness, but they would have to make the back of the phone flat and not curvy.

I would say with the extra 500mAh, it should give at least 1hours of screen on time more.

I definitely see a sizable decrease in battery life for my Moto G 2014 from the previous version. One hour less screen on time infact. I'm not sure right now, with knowing this and the original X will get most of the features of the new one, maybe I could be happy sticking with the original X.

Last edited:

xeene

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Screen on, gps on, and music playing can burn 800+mah / hour. So you do the math.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Let's hope their reason for keeping the 2300mah battery is due to them knowing certain info by playing with Android L and Project Volta:

Android L Feature Spotlight: Project Volta

"How big the battery life improvements will be? For example, a Nexus 5 running Android L Developer Preview can get 30 – 40% more battery life which is an insanely huge improvement. How is this even possible? Well the new job scheduler API is one of the factors. It instructs apps to do more of their unimportant tasks while your phone is charging instead of while running on battery."

Even if it does 10% and not 30%-40% (which the more the merrier) like claimed, it's still something better! :)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Let's hope their reason for keeping the 2300mah battery is due to them knowing certain info by playing with Android L and Project Volta:

"How big the battery life improvements will be? For example, a Nexus 5 running Android L Developer Preview can get 30 – 40% more battery life which is an insanely huge improvement. How is this even possible? Well the new job scheduler API is one of the factors. It instructs apps to do more of their unimportant tasks while your phone is charging instead of while running on battery."

Even if it does 10% and not 30%-40% (which the more the merrier) like claimed, it's still something better! :)
Well they better bring it soon otherwise they will lose sales.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Last year everyone slammed the Moto x because of the specs and once it arrived and tried it, it was a different story. These reviews are not real world tests so just wait and see once you get it. If it is not what you want just return it. No fuss, no muss.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Don't count on Android L for much of a difference. Anandtech's review specifically addresses this:

Before I conclude this section, I just wanted to note that Android L alone won’t improve battery life on these tests. Android RunTime (ART) won’t help with battery life as these applications are native code. Job Scheduler is also irrelevant to our tests, as it will only improve battery life in situations where multiple applications are running in the background. We make every effort to ensure that no background tasks occur during these battery life tests and auto-sync is disabled as well in order to make sure that the only task running is the one under test. We have already run the data early in the summer on the Nexus 5 with Android L developer preview and our data does not show any significant difference in battery life. However, in real world usage where background applications and data syncing are active, one can expect greater battery life with Android L but only in the range of 10-15%.

AnandTech | The New Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) Review

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

AnandTech puts out the best battery benchmark testing around in my opinion, and the X did pretty poorly compared to its peers. Sad to see the year old Nexus 5 outperform a flagship that hasn't even shipped.

AnandTech | The New Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) Review

Anandtech's review sealed the decision for me. The new Moto X is an easy pass now. Heck, in some battery tests, it does worse than the OG Moto X. For shame. And as a Nexus 5 owner, if the new Moto X isn't going to get me better battery life than my current phone, I'm not dropping ~$500 dollars for it.

Heck, even the camera doesn't look much better than the Nexus 5.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Anandtech's review sealed the decision for me. The new Moto X is an easy pass now. Heck, in some battery tests, it does worse than the OG Moto X. For shame. And as a Nexus 5 owner, if the new Moto X isn't going to get me better battery life than my current phone, I'm not dropping ~$500 dollars for it.

Heck, even the camera doesn't look much better than the Nexus 5.

Even if it is not that much better than the Nexus 5 in battery, which I would be surprised, I would still get it just for the better connectivity. My Nexus 5 is not the best on the networks and I live in a very strong ATT LTE area. From what I have seen the new Moto X does a great job on signal acquisition.

Posted via Nexus 5

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Even if it is not that much better than the Nexus 5 in battery, which I would be surprised, I would still get it just for the better connectivity. My Nexus 5 is not the best on the networks and I live in a very strong ATT LTE area. From what I have seen the new Moto X does a great job on signal acquisition.

Posted via Nexus 5

I could believe that. The reception with the Nexus 5 is pretty poor. The GPS also fails to hold steady when navigating. But $500 dollars to get better reception? That's a bit steep for me.

What it should have been is $500 (or even $600) to get better reception, better battery life, better camera, better all around device. $500 dollars shouldn't only net me a few nicks of battery life by way of better antennas. This is a brand new 2014 device. It should be well beyond par with an old 2013 Nexus 5.

I really wish it were. :T

nonstopski

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

Why is it $500 for you? Guess you're not in an upgrade period. Motorola is offering me $170 for my iPhone 5, and I'm in the upgrade period, so motomaker + 32 GB + iPhone trade it will pay for this whole device for me.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Why is it $500 for you? Guess you're not in an upgrade period. Motorola is offering me $170 for my iPhone 5, and I'm in the upgrade period, so motomaker + 32 GB + iPhone trade it will pay for this whole device for me.
Some of use don't do contracts. Especially me, I switch phone at least half a dozen time a year.

Anyway, I trust the public consensus than just a single review, even though Anandtech is pretty good.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Based off what I understand and read, an extra 500mAh will give you about 10-20% increase in battery life depending on how you use your phone. If what Anandtech's review states is true that L will give an improvement of 10-15% in real life, then Motorola's decision on the 2300 instead of 2800+ is justified once L is in the picture. I know many won't agree or won't be happy but if this phone gets me through a day (which it will since the current X does for me), battery life won't be an issue. My point to this thread is to see if the extra 500mAh would really take care of the battery 'issues' some have with this phone. And by the looks of it, probably not. Which proves another point I have but I won't get into that....

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Based off what I understand and read, an extra 500mAh will give you about 10-20% increase in battery life depending on how you use your phone. If what Anandtech's review states is true that L will give an improvement of 10-15% in real life, then Motorola's decision on the 2300 instead of 2800+ is justified once L is in the picture. I know many won't agree or won't be happy but if this phone gets me through a day (which it will since the current X does for me), battery life won't be an issue. My point to this thread is to see if the extra 500mAh would really take care of the battery 'issues' some have with this phone. And by the looks of it, probably not. Which proves another point I have but I won't get into that....
I'm not saying you are wrong, as none of us really know yet what android L impact on our phones will be, but I've never seen a software upgrade on a smartphone give anywhere close to 15% improvement in battery life. Almost seems like a cop out for putting a 2300 mah battery in a 5.2" phone with a 1080p display. I hope I'm wrong and I hope that Android L is game changing, but I'm going to be skeptical until we see what the effects of L really are..

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Posted via Nexus 5

If the battery life is on a par with the current X, I'll be very happy indeed, since I have no complaints in that regard. As for connectivity, that's where Moto devices really shine for me. I have had lots of phones through the years, and some of the Moto ones weren't great on several levels, but connectivity has never been an issue with any of them. Ever.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I could believe that. The reception with the Nexus 5 is pretty poor. The GPS also fails to hold steady when navigating. But $500 dollars to get better reception? That's a bit steep for me.

What it should have been is $500 (or even $600) to get better reception, better battery life, better camera, better all around device. $500 dollars shouldn't only net me a few nicks of battery life by way of better antennas. This is a brand new 2014 device. It should be well beyond par with an old 2013 Nexus 5.

I really wish it were. :T

How do you know it's not. Me thinks you put too much stock in any one review...IMO...

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

How do you know it's not. Me thinks you put too much stock in any one review...IMO...

It's, unfortunately, based on many reviews. There are consistently two strikes (ranging from decent to poor) against the Moto X. It's always camera and battery.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

It's, unfortunately, based on many reviews. There are consistently two strikes (ranging from decent to poor) against the Moto X. It's always camera and battery.

Yes, and those are really the only things they could be because YMMV with battery and camera. I watch and like Michael Fisher on Pocketnow and he said the same things but he did say the battery life could get you through a day if careful which is always enough for me which I rarely need more than 12 hours aways from a charger. And since we have similar tastes, when he says at the end he has ordered one for himself, I was glad I had already ordered one!

Not trying to convince you either way. Good luck in your decision!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik