Why doesn't Google make a phone with faster charging speeds?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Some of the phones these days are coming out with 60W charging or similar and we're stuck at 23W. I read the Pixel 8 is going to be 27W. So why can't Google make a phone with something faster? I already think my phone charges fairly fast. I can't imagine how fast it would be charging at 60W. I'm not a techno wizard. I know faster causes more heat to the battery and maybe decreases battery life? How much of a real world difference does it make? They could also go back to the days where you could replace the phone battery. Instead of carrying a 10-20,000 mAh battery back you could just carry a few extra small batteries. And if the heat from faster charging was causing battery wear you could just replace the battery.

Edit: the One Plus 10T and Motorola Edge 30 Ultra charge at 150W! I saw a video where the OnePlus went from 1% to 100% in 15min.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben_70

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Google/Samsung/Apple all 3 of the major manufacturer haven't gone to those speeds the Chinese Manufacturer have , do they know something about battery degrading
I think they might.
Well, that's part of the question. How much of a real world difference does it make 6-12 months into owning the phone. I don't know the answer.

Reactions: mustang7757

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Those phones often have 2 smaller batteries fused together to split the charging and to speed it up. They also need a lot of cooling inside as the fast charging causes a lot of heat. I think after the Samsung exploding batteries in the Note 7 they all became more cautious. These lithium batteries are quite dangerous if not respected. The sound of fast charging sounds good but is it really safe and does it destroy the battery longevity?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah true, I like to hear feedback on members here that kept a Chinese manufacturer for a year with those speeds feedback
I hav a friend who had a Xiaomi with 120-watt charging... He didn't keep it a year though, because the battery was unusable after 8 months .

It's only one piece of anecdotal evidence but it's there.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I hav a friend who had a Xiaomi with 120-watt charging... He didn't keep it a year though, because the battery was unusable after 8 months .

It's only one piece of anecdotal evidence but it's there.
Those phones often have 2 smaller batteries fused together to split the charging and to speed it up. They also need a lot of cooling inside as the fast charging causes a lot of heat. I think after the Samsung exploding batteries in the Note 7 they all became more cautious. These lithium batteries are quite dangerous if not respected. The sound of fast charging sounds good but is it really safe and does it destroy the battery longevity?
I agree with both the potential for shortened battery life and the potential safety hazards that Fuzzy and Kizzy mentioned above. There have been some products lately that have proven deadly with lithium batteries and fire, like cheap electric scooters/hoverboards/cars going all the way back to the Note 7 and even the laptop batteries burning houses down in the middle of the night.

Lithium batteries are no joke 😳 I personally wouldn't want a stupid fast phone charging while I was sleeping, or anytime I couldn't keep an eye on it. I had a battery maintainer for one of my less driven cars go bad and start burning up the car battery, disaster averted because I checked on it, but I no longer leave battery maintainers on continuously even though they're designed for that, because the risk isn't worth the reward 😉

My phones charge plenty fast for my needs, I think 15 minutes to full might be overkill, and a marketing gimmick to sell phones.

Are the possible risks worth the questionably negligible rewards? Not to me... but everyone has to make that decision for themselves ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Some of the phones these days are coming out with 60W charging or similar and we're stuck at 23W. I read the Pixel 8 is going to be 27W. So why can't Google make a phone with something faster? I already think my phone charges fairly fast. I can't imagine how fast it would be charging at 60W. I'm not a techno wizard. I know faster causes more heat to the battery and maybe decreases battery life? How much of a real world difference does it make? They could also go back to the days where you could replace the phone battery. Instead of carrying a 10-20,000 mAh battery back you could just carry a few extra small batteries. And if the heat from faster charging was causing battery wear you could just replace the battery.

Edit: the One Plus 10T and Motorola Edge 30 Ultra charge at 150W! I saw a video where the OnePlus went from 1% to 100% in 15min.
OnePlus (and maybe others) have some of the fastest charging I have ever experienced. Their phones do NOT get hot at all while charging. They have figured out how to keep any heat localized to the charger instead of the phone. Another "trick" is that they actually have two batteries inside. Therefore a 5000 mah battery spec actually means that there are two 2500 mah batteries inside and if the phone is listed at 60 watts charging speed it actually is 30 watts X Two.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OnePlus (and maybe others) have some of the fastest charging I have ever experienced. Their phones do NOT get hot at all while charging. They have figured out how to keep any heat localized to the charger instead of the phone. Another "trick" is that they actually have two batteries inside. Therefore a 5000 mah battery spec actually means that there are two 2500 mah batteries inside and if the phone is listed at 60 watts charging speed it actually is 30 watts X Two.
Hmm interesting

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Faster charging brings convenience, but balancing speed with battery health is essential. Removable batteries would be ideal, offering flexibility and longevity for power users. Finding the right balance is key. 📱⚡🔋
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the input!

Reactions: J Dubbs

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Considering that it only takes an hour or less to charge my phone from 30 % TO 100% why do I care . This post is the epitome of first world problems. Sorry not trying to me mean but find another issue to complain about like global warming or the garbage island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. :ROFLMAO: At least they are important.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Considering that it only takes an hour or less to charge my phone from 30 % TO 100% why do I care . This post is the epitome of first world problems. Sorry not trying to me mean but find another issue to complain about like global warming or the garbage island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. :ROFLMAO: At least they are important.
Didn't they start developing on garbage island to make it an actual usable island since it wasn't going anywhere any time soon? You know, a floating Utopia like in the movie Waterworld 😉

I kid, I kid lol.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Considering that it only takes an hour or less to charge my phone from 30 % TO 100% why do I care . This post is the epitome of first world problems. Sorry not trying to me mean but find another issue to complain about like global warming or the garbage island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. At least they are important.
Well it's not bad topic but definitely no politics here

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I love my 120W Xiaomi 12t. I used it all day, down to 19% and in 17 minutes its fully charged. Battery life is still amazing!!

I went back & forth on this thinking Wireless Charging is more convenient but I hate how my phones are so hot afterwards. So now I rarely use it even in my vehicles.

Then again, I'm already dropped Apple and Samsung flagships and if my carrier didn't offer great deal on the Pixel I would only be using my 12t.. I can't wait when I go home December and get my next Xiaomi.

That's why I'm not concerned whether Google, Apple & Samsung comes out if fast charging, etc.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Considering that it only takes an hour or less to charge my phone from 30 % TO 100% why do I care . This post is the epitome of first world problems. Sorry not trying to me mean but find another issue to complain about like global warming or the garbage island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. :ROFLMAO: At least they are important
The whole point of this forum is to talk about phone issues and questions. Not sure why you can't just simply contribute to the topic at hand. :rolleyes: it was a simple question. If other phone manufacturers are doing it, including Samsung to a lesser degree, why isn't google? We own flagship phones. We are allowed to ask first world questions. I'm not posting this in the Nokia forum. I'm not unhappy with how fast the phone chargers in general, but there are occasionally times where a faster charge would be handy because I don't have time to leave it plugged in for an hour.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29