Moto X for my first Android phone?

K_MAC

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Making the change from iPhone to Android and this would be my first android phone. I've been fairly happy with my iPhone 4S as it was my first smart phone but I'm not impressed with the new 6. Seems like they are a couple of years behind Android other than the fingerprint scanner on the 6, not a big deal though. I really like the looks of the Moto X. Bigger screen, nice resolution, near stock Android, fast updates, Moto apps, beautiful phone.

I'd like to know how the Moto X compares with my iPhone 4S. Particularly the battery life and camera. Also does the Verizon Motomaker start tonight at midnight? What time zone if so?

Thanks in advance.

dhc8guru

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Well I can say personally that I like android much better then IOS. Both me and my wife started out with google one phones then went to the Iphone 4. We got out of Iphones once our two year contracts ran out. By that time Android really matured. Recently my wife broke her Galaxy S4 and went to an S5 but two phones had issues. In a moment of a hazy fog of clarity I told her to get an Iphone 5S. She pretty much so hates it. My opinion is the Iphone does some things really great and other things horribly. After two years of staring at the same uncustomizable home screen, I wanted out. Apple makes me feel like a kid that needs to be corralled and controlled. I have to mention, my family owns an new IMac, a macbook and two Ipads and an Asus Transformer Epad. So I am a fanboy when it comes to Apple computers but there phones are just OK. The hype that revolves around the Iphone absolutely amazes me. There phones have beautiful chassis and wonderful cameras. But once youget past the surface, that is where things start to leave you wanting more.
I'm going to the MotoX purely for two reasons. One being the Moto voice control and hand gestures. The second is the customization of the phone itself. These two things seem like they really bring the Android experience to a proper level.

Last edited:

Jonathan Lin1

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I can say personally that I like android much better then IOS. Both me and my wife started out with google one phones then went to the Iphone 4. We got out of Iphones once our two year contracts ran out. By that time Android really matured. Recently my wife broke her Galaxy S4 and went to an S5 but two phones had issues. In a moment of a hazy fog of clarity I told her to get an Iphone 5S. She pretty much so hates it. My opinion is the Iphone does some things really great and other things horribly. After two years of staring at the same uncustomizable home screen, I wanted out. Apple makes me feel like a kid that needs to be corralled and controlled. I have to mention, my family owns an new IMac, a macbook and two Ipads and an Asus Transformer Epad. So I am a fanboy when it comes to Apple computers but there phones are just OK. The hype that revolves around the Iphone absolutely amazes me. There phones have beautiful chassis and wonderful cameras. But once youget past the surface, that is where things start to leave you wanting more.
I'm going to the MotoX purely for two reasons. One being the Moto voice control and hand gestures. The second is the customization of the phone itself. These two things seem like they really bring the Android experience to a proper level.

Agreed

K_MAC

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I am really looking forward to the voice control and hand gestures. Sometimes at work grabbing my phone isn't an option because my hands are so dirty.

K_MAC

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Ordered just now through Moto Maker for Verizon.

Slate back, black front, metallic blue trim, 32 GB. Estimated shipping Oct 1st, I can't wait!!!

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I've got the OG X and you will love the experience. Notifications are excellent and will be better with the new X. Voice controls are very nice, the phone is not just smart but intelligent and maximizes the utility of Google Now. I can ask it all kinds of things just by picking up the phone without even unlocking it, and it will do a Google search if it's not a command it recognizes (like make a note, set the alarm, remind me to do xyz, navigate to wherever, post to Facebook (new with the new X), etc.) and it's smart enough to read some results to you. Like if you ask it "what is the price of Home Depot stock?" it will do a search and read it back to you out loud. Moto Assist is fantastic, the incoming text message reading is really handy when driving.

Combined with something like Tasker or AutomateIt (the latter of which I use because it's easier), you can really prolong the battery life. When I am at home, or connected to any wifi, the mobile data goes off so it doesn't have to keep searching for a signal. You can do quite a few nifty things with automation and you will wonder how you put up with an iPhone for so long. IFTTT pales in comparison to what you can do, even with an unrooted phone. My X is not rooted, don't need it to be rooted - it works really well out of the box. I'm almost jealous of you getting a new X! I'm not ready to switch yet, got mine in May.

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Ordered just now through Moto Maker for Verizon.

Slate back, black front, metallic blue trim, 32 GB. Estimated shipping Oct 1st, I can't wait!!!
Your X sounds pretty!! Please post a pic when you get it. Motorola actually delivered my X early, let us know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress