I think the Moto X 2014 has inadequate storage

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Many apps are beginning to need more than a few Mb of space and even with an SD card 16Gb can be insufficient. Plus for those who think the cloud is a solution forget that most users do not have unlimited data plans. The cloud is a good place to back up data or store things not used often. But I prefer having more onboard. Truth is manufacturers may have a 32Gb or higher option, but are not readily available for purchase.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I will never by a phone or tablet with less than 32gb again. Apps and media are getting larger by the day, and will not stop. I do not want to be short on storage in a year or 2. What is adequate today is not guaranteed to be adequate tomorrow...

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I will never by a phone or tablet with less than 32gb again. Apps and media are getting larger by the day, and will not stop. I do not want to be short on storage in a year or 2. What is adequate today is not guaranteed to be adequate tomorrow...

Agreed. My current phone (Note 3) has 32gb so my thoughts are my next phone must have at least 64gbs for me to consider it an upgrade.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

With how I use my 8GB Moto G, my 16GB Moto X, and my 32GB Nexus 7 (2012), I'll worry about that tomorrow.

Beauty of Android - if you need more, there's a phone out there for you.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't play games on my phone (I have a tablet for that), I have about 35 apps that I download and they don't take up even a gig, 32gb to me is a good amount.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
32gb is my sweet spot, due to carrying a large amount of music. Not my whole library, egad, but a lot of songs. I don't play hardcore games, just a few - Words With Friends, Scrabble with Friends and Spades, mostly. I only have a few others for my cousin or my nephew to play. No unlimited data so i make liberal use of caching songs on Google Play, or my mainstay Double Twist. I like its equalizer better.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Not enough storage on Moto X 2014

Then buy one. Most other people don't care about crazy storage.

Motorola introduced a 64 GB variant of the original Moto X last June. Hopefully they will release a 64 GB version of the second generation Moto X, preferably sooner than next June.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, why would anyone buy one of these if they only come in 16 and 32gb versions?

Even acknowledging the apparent fact that they are pretty good phones, what's your justification for purchasing a phone with what a lot would say is inadequate storage?

I'm impressed with what I see and read about these, but I can't fathom buying a new phone with the same or less storage than my current phone has. Oh and Cloud storage doesn't make up for low onboard.

Just interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this.

Because 32gb is plenty for my use case

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
16GB is not enough for me. By the time I get some pictures on the phone and then with my apps caching that adds up after a while. 32 however is just right.

Posted via the Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Understandable point. I have a 2012 Droid Razr M which had ~4GB of available internal storage after OS and bloatware. I installed a 16GB SD card and still get error messages like this quite often.

However, I saw a USATODAY article that said the average Android user has ~100 apps installed on their phone and regularly uses about 20-30 of those on the high end. This definitely is my case (93 apps, probably use about 15 regularly) and causes me to wonder if I really need all those games and one-hit-wonder apps that I literally never use.

PS. I have quite a bit of music, podcasts, and pics on my 16GB SD card which has almost completely filled it but I don't really need all that when most of it is in the cloud with BeyondPod, GoogleMusic, AmazonMusic, and Verizon cloud (pics/videos).

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
16GB on my Moto X (2013) is OK because I do not have any games or extraneous apps on my phone. I keep all that extra stuff on my Nexus 7 where I prefer the larger screen anyway.

That said, I ordered my new Moto X with 32GB. I think that with the larger screen, I may use it more and my Nexus 7 somewhat less.

geecka

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

But considering OS size and growing app size (they are growing on mobile just as they are on computers) I would say that at the very least all manufacturers should offer a minimum of 32gb with higher options available. My opinion is that 16gb simply is not enough anymore.

16GB has always been enough for me, but when my husband found he couldn't transfer all of his music to his 16GB Moto X (he moved from a 64GB iphone 4s) I stored that info. Today, when I ordered mine, I got the 32 just in case.

We went into the ATT store to look at the Moto X (me!) and he was going to get either the 6+ or the Note 3. He walked out with my phone!

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been using an 8gb Nexus 4 for 2 years without a problem. Store files in the cloud, auto backup pictures so you can do mass deletes as needed, don't keep unnecessary apps or junk on the phone.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
16GB on my Moto X (2013) is OK because I do not have any games or extraneous apps on my phone. I keep all that extra stuff on my Nexus 7 where I prefer the larger screen anyway.

That said, I ordered my new Moto X with 32GB. I think that with the larger screen, I may use it more and my Nexus 7 somewhat less.

Totes agree! I am planning on using my Galaxy Tab 7" a lot less once I get the Moto X 2014. So tired of using one device for videos, reading and gaming (Galaxy Tab) and my phone for everything else (Droid Razr M).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89