Where is the arrow next to Talk to Me to fix Drive Mode issues?

cwaltrs

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
No Arrow Next to "Talk to Me" to fix Drive Mode issues

My Moto X is not reading texts to me. The online support suggests clicking the arrow next to the "Talk to Me" option, and changing the Bluetooth channel. Unfortunately, I don't have an arrow next to Talk to Me. I have an arrow below next to Play Music and More Options, but nothing next to Talk to Me. I contacted Moto support,and they said I need to get a replacement phone. Before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

One strange thing... When I'm in Drive Mode, it shows the Drive icon, and it also shows the Speakers icon. Does that sound right?

Thanks very much.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: No Arrow Next to "Talk to Me" to fix Drive Mode issues

I don't have an arrow by "talk to me" either , however when not driving and doing something messy with my hands I'll tell the phone "talk to me" and then she says she'll announce new msgs/etc coming in for the next half hour. And when I do that, I get a logo at the top of like a mouth announcing. (See left most notification icon on second pic).
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 8539.jpg
    8539.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 8540.jpg
    8540.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 20

Lawbreaker

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

It's not just you. It's not there on the X14 like it was on X13. I need it too. There is a thread on Motorola support forums and they say they will fix it in an upcoming software release. Unfortunately there's no time commitment from them.

Posted via Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I don't have an arrow by "talk to me" either , however when not driving and doing something messy with my hands I'll tell the phone "talk to me" and then she says she'll announce new msgs/etc coming in for the next half hour. And when I do that, I get a logo at the top of like a mouth announcing. (See left most notification icon on second pic).
Hope that helps.

Neat tip! I use the Drive Assist quite a bit, but sometimes I forget to turn it on before getting in the car, and this would work great.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Neat tip! I use the Drive Assist quite a bit, but sometimes I forget to turn it on before getting in the car, and this would work great.

Can't you just keep it enabled/turned on? IIRC it only activates when it detects you driving.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

yeah if driving, it *should* recognize that and turn on the talk to me feature as well as stay on as long as you're driving or in movement (which it does 99.9% out of the times) however when at home (or anywhere really), and doing some dirty dishes, changing a diaper, etc, it comes in handy to tell the phone "talk to me" (but I don't know how to keep it on for more than 30 minutes).

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

yeah if driving, it *should* recognize that and turn on the talk to me feature as well as stay on as long as you're driving or in movement (which it does 99.9% out of the times) however when at home (or anywhere really), and doing some dirty dishes, changing a diaper, etc, it comes in handy to tell the phone "talk to me" (but I don't know how to keep it on for more than 30 minutes).

IIRC there's also a setting to permanently enable "talk to me" when the phone recognizes you're Home. My X was pretty spotty in identifying and going into Home mode, which I thought was odd since I had wifi always on connected to my home network -- a pretty good identifier that I'm home. Couldn't figure out how to force it into Home mode - telling it "I'm Home" or "Set to Home mode" didn't work. (Sorry to be off topic in a Drive thread.)

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
IIRC there's also a setting to permanently enable "talk to me" when the phone recognizes you're Home. My X was pretty spotty in identifying and going into Home mode, which I thought was odd since I had wifi always on connected to my home network -- a pretty good identifier that I'm home. Couldn't figure out how to force it into Home mode - telling it "I'm Home" or "Set to Home mode" didn't work. (Sorry to be off topic in a Drive thread.)

I can get home mode to activate 99.9% of the time IF my GPS is set to high accuracy. Sometimes I'm lucky it comes on even though my GPS setting is on battery saving mode.

I'm not sure yet if Moto Assist also calculates I'm home based on my WiFi. I wish it were that way, I simply don't see where I can tell assist that when I'm on home's WiFi for home mode to kick in, unless this has changed and works that way on lollipop (which I still haven't updated to yet).

What you brought up is actually a great idea they should add to assist (if not already in lollipop).

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
What you brought up is actually a great idea they should add to assist (if not already in lollipop).

Would be great if they'd add a toggle capability. I imagine some people would like to use Home mode features at work or other locations. "Talk-to-me" in half-hour increments isn't much help if you're at a desk for hours at a time. Toggles would allow Tasker integration.

...adding, I thought Location Services also used wifi as a source.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Can't you just keep it enabled/turned on? IIRC it only activates when it detects you driving.

I really should, but I've never liked leaving Location on all the time - thinking maybe it eats battery. There's really no reason, though, why I couldn't leave the Assist on and then just turn Location on manually from my Power Toggle widget.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I really should, but I've never liked leaving Location on all the time - thinking maybe it eats battery. There's really no reason, though, why I couldn't leave the Assist on and then just turn Location on manually from my Power Toggle widget.

As I mentioned on another thread, it would be great if Motorola enabled toggles for their apps. My guess is some people would use Home mode in locations other than their home and/or want to use it at home without Location settings on.