Small camera test - 4.4.4 vs 5.0

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I took a brand new moto x on 4.4.4, updated all apps and the 'sensor services framework' and then took the attached photos. Then I upgraded it to android 5.0, did a factory reset, re-updated all apps (and made sure google services framework updated) and took the same photos again.

The room has no windows, lit well with overhead florescent bulbs.

Long story short, the photos look identical on 5.0 as they did on 4.4.4

x 444 motion cropped.jpg

x 500 motion cropped.jpg

x 444 resized.jpg

x 500 resized.jpg

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Here are the same pictures for the Turbo and Note 3

(first car which is unlabeled is the note 3)

Attachments

• note3 motion cropped.jpg
    note3 motion cropped.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 91
  • turbo motion cropped.jpg
    turbo motion cropped.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 88
  • note3 resized.jpg
    note3 resized.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 86
  • turbo resized.jpg
    turbo resized.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 87

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
All of the photos except the note 3 we're taken with the phone resting on a stand. So there should have been virtually no vibration or movement.

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Interesting and useful comparison. Which camera app did you use (moto vs something else)? Also, I am guessing you used full auto/default settings?

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The Turbo pic looks virtually identical to the Moto X, at least to my eyes anyway. And I also see no difference from KitKat to Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I actually think the Turbo looks clearer/more vibrant when you place them right next to eachother. Although I nearly missed the moving car the first time because of the shutter lag. In the time it took to take the picture the car moved from the middle all the way to the right side of the box (over a full second).

Once the Turbo shutter lag gets resolved it will have a really nice camera.

I was shocked at how bad the note 3 looks though. Maybe it was the lighting, or my hands shaking? Its the only phone I had to hold free hand to take the picture since the weight of the phone caused the volume keys to depress and zoom in (I could have turned that off but my 15 mo old was crying about something and my wife was insisting it was daddy's turn :) ). Usually I'm really impressed with the quality my wife gets out of her note 3.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I took a brand new moto x on 4.4.4, updated all apps and the 'sensor services framework' and then took the attached photos. Then I upgraded it to android 5.0, did a factory reset, re-updated all apps (and made sure google services framework updated) and took the same photos again.

The room has no windows, lit well with overhead florescent bulbs.

Long story short, the photos look identical on 5.0 as they did on 4.4.4

View attachment 152162

View attachment 152163

Wait, no difference? The focus is clearly sharper in the second (5.0) photo. Look at the words on the box in particular, but it's also apparent in the train. It looks like Lollipop improves the focus lock at the least.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Wait, no difference? The focus is clearly sharper in the second (5.0) photo. Look at the words on the box in particular, but it's also apparent in the train. It looks like Lollipop improves the focus lock at the least.

Looking at it again, I do see sharper text on the box with Lollipop, but I really don't notice it on the train. Again - it could be my eyes or the computer monitor I'm using to look at these.

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that before whenever I took a photo with the flash on, it will give the red eye effect. After the update, not so much. Can anyone else confirm this?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I took a small portion of the train and clipped out the same bit and pasted them side-by-side and magnified the image 4x.

The difference between 4.4.4 on the left and 5.0 on the right is astonishing.

Small sample, granted, but you can take most sections of the photo and do the same.

Capture.JPG

EDIT: Looking at the pictures overall, I was struggling to see if maybe the focus point was just wrong, but I can't find much in the 4.4.4 picture that is in better focus anywhere than the 5.0 shot. So either the 4.4.4 just happened to pick a bad focus spot as a one-time issue, or 5.0 has markedly increased focus lock.

The only "on par" difference I could think of is if the car was moving more slowly on one, and the camera attempted to focus on the car rather than the train box. That is somewhat supported by the better focus on the word USED on the cardboard immediately adjacent to the car, which is closer and would be a different focal point (top: 4.4.4, bottom: 5.0)

Capture1.JPG

So it is possible that either the focus algorithm on 5.0 takes more of the image into account, or that the 4.4.4 shot merely got "unlucky" in having the car become part of the focus algorithm while the 5.0 shot didn't see the car due to timing.

Having said all that, the blur on both cars is similar enough that they appear to be moving at about the same speed, and they are both close enough to the center of the actual shot to have the same weight focus-wise, I'd think.

Last edited:

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Looking at it again, I do see sharper text on the box with Lollipop, but I really don't notice it on the train. Again - it could be my eyes or the computer monitor I'm using to look at these.

If you look at the box on the 5.0, you will notice a defect/crease in the box going down the middle of the train. This is not that apparent on the 4.4.4. This is getting down to details, but this is the type of comparisons we see with digital photography.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm what the version number is/was on 4.4.4?

4.0.7.5 on my AT&T one running 4.4.4

So. Ummm.. Save version number? Any differences would be in the underlying firmware in that case.

Posted via the Android Central App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll be happy if I get fewer blurry photos. I may be reading too much into one comparison, but that's my takeaway from Clocks' little test. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87