On my second S10+.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So, on an impulse, I decided to trade in my S9+ for the deal Samsung was offering on the S10+, mostly for the camera options. My S9+ was paid off and while the trade-in value was nominal (I could have sold it for more on the bay or elsewhere), it helped lower my monthly payment on the new phone. Long story short, nothing but trouble with this phone out of the box. It took two days and multiple calls to Samsung and Verizon to get the thing activated. I was told by Verizon that I had to use the SIM from my S9+ (wrong!), which I did, and promptly failed to get any signal at all, and then, after several days, one bar. With my S9+ I got three and it never dropped a call; his turkey couldn't hold a call if it had to. Then music apps (that I have used for years), both streaming and not would simply stop playing or not play at all. At this point I call Samsung and demanded a new phone under the warranty. They complied, but I had to buy another phone and return the defective one. Now the second has almost as bad reception, but all the apps work fine and the Verizon tech was able to program the SIM that came with the new phone with my number (Whoo hoo!). Sigh...

Has anyone, esp. those who live in a rural area with minimal tower locations, had trouble with the S10+ getting a decent signal? I have lived here most of my life, and every smartphone (and flippers before that) just worked. Now I am having to run around on my deck in hopes of getting a call. This is unacceptable, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I suspect Verizon is my only hope (along with Obi-Wan), and failing that, I' reckon I'm sunk. All suggestions are most appreciated. TIA.

P.S. Yes, I did the two updates that were waiting after activation. No help.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Negative. We don't have it yet in our part of the world. There is only one tower, about a mile away as the crow flies. It sits on the highest point on one of two ridges that make up the valley I live in, and I am at the bottom. Still, as I noted earlier, I had five bars when I was with T-Mobile and three with my S9+. So far as I can see, it has to be hardware, i.e., the ability of the phone's antenna to pick up a signal. Data, as you can imagine, is similarly hampered. Not sure how to proceed, but a phone that is unreliable at home is no phone at all. I think Samsung dropped the ball here, somehow. All of this is on record in a case I insisted they start documenting back with the first S10+. What gets me is that I am brand loyal to Samsung, and own several of their products, none of which has ever given me this much trouble. Very disappointing.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It seems hard to believe that you would have gotten two bum phones, although I've seen other posts where people have claimed to have gotten 2, 3 and once I'm pretty sure 4. I always kinda find the bum phone a hard pill to swallow. I'm sure it happens but they go through so much quality testing and everything... I just feel like it should be much rarer than it is.

I'm assuming that your device is a Verizon branded device? Is WiFi calling enabled? That should at least help with at home. I have an Unlocked S10+ with Verizon and had to wait about a month I think for it to work along with a couple of other features. Open settings and type wifi in the search field at the top. It should be one of the first results.

I rarely look at my signal strength so I couldn't tell you what my normal bar count is but I can tell you I've never dropped a call with the S10 or had issues calling out.

I think Verizon still offers Network Extenders. I had to get one when we moved into an aluminum sided house. Although enabling Wifi calling should be just as effective.

The only 2 other things I could think that might have an effect would be;

Resetting your network settings. I can't remember if this will cause you to forget your WiFi passwords or not but I've seen it improve issues for others. Settings>General Management>Reset>Reset network settings

Call *228 to update your towers. This link will take you to more about that, the why and the how.... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...update-faqs/&usg=AOvVaw2aXBjMuHPRgc4qrJTWlcLQ

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have wifi calling enabled, with no appreciable improvement. I went for a walk to day and lo and behold, there is another cell tower on the ridge above my house. It is probably a good mile and several hundred feet above me, so I don't even know if I connect to it. The one app I've use to locate towers around me shows only one, across the valley, on the other ridge. Dunno if these towers are proprietary, but my wife is on AT&T and has no issues. I will try all the things you mentioned and, if necessary, contact Verizon to see what they can do.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a plan. I hope things work out for you. I mean Verizon should be able to do something even if it's just to offer you a different model of phone. At a cost of course. Lol.

I didn't mention how the Network Extender works, for you or anyone else finding this thread. It basically intercepts the cell signal and transmits over the internet. I got gen 1 or 2 over a decade ago, it only did cellular. The later generations did cellular and data. I guess one wouldn't really need that as much with WiFi being the standard anymore. Just thought I'd through that in there.

Best wishes, let us know if anything works.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a plan. I hope things work out for you. I mean Verizon should be able to do something even if it's just to offer you a different model of phone. At a cost of course. Lol.

I didn't mention how the Network Extender works, for you or anyone else finding this thread. It basically intercepts the cell signal and transmits over the internet. I got gen 1 or 2 over a decade ago, it only did cellular. The later generations did cellular and data. I guess one wouldn't really need that as much with WiFi being the standard anymore. Just thought I'd through that in there.

Best wishes, let us know if anything works.

A lot of the S10's had signal problems I think it was hardware. Mostly Sprint and we switched to Verizon our phones are unlocked but my husband never had signal where I would have signal but not the best. I waited to long thinking mine was ok he sent his back and they put in a new motherboard and his signal became great and is now better then mine in some areas. But their was a whole thread way back of S10's having problems or at least the plus did. makes me want to get a Verizon phone next time and not unlocked I don't know. I just remember Best Buy re-flashing his phone u break it was supposed to order motherboard and fix it than someone else their said no we don't do that you have to send it back to Samsung. My husband had to buy a cheap Verizon phone to use and then returned it when he got his phone back it was a mess.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
So, on an impulse, I decided to trade in my S9+ for the deal Samsung was offering on the S10+, mostly for the camera options. My S9+ was paid off and while the trade-in value was nominal (I could have sold it for more on the bay or elsewhere), it helped lower my monthly payment on the new phone. Long story short, nothing but trouble with this phone out of the box. It took two days and multiple calls to Samsung and Verizon to get the thing activated. I was told by Verizon that I had to use the SIM from my S9+ (wrong!), which I did, and promptly failed to get any signal at all, and then, after several days, one bar. With my S9+ I got three and it never dropped a call; his turkey couldn't hold a call if it had to. Then music apps (that I have used for years), both streaming and not would simply stop playing or not play at all. At this point I call Samsung and demanded a new phone under the warranty. They complied, but I had to buy another phone and return the defective one. Now the second has almost as bad reception, but all the apps work fine and the Verizon tech was able to program the SIM that came with the new phone with my number (Whoo hoo!). Sigh...

Has anyone, esp. those who live in a rural area with minimal tower locations, had trouble with the S10+ getting a decent signal? I have lived here most of my life, and every smartphone (and flippers before that) just worked. Now I am having to run around on my deck in hopes of getting a call. This is unacceptable, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I suspect Verizon is my only hope (along with Obi-Wan), and failing that, I' reckon I'm sunk. All suggestions are most appreciated. TIA.

P.S. Yes, I did the two updates that were waiting after activation. No help.

I swap SIM cards out of my devices with an alacrity that annoys (slightly) Verizon without a problem for the past eight years. Just two weeks ago I gave my younger brother a Note10 Plus from my Xfinity Mobile account. We did the Smart Switch from his S8 Plus (Verizon) while we were right there, together. Ever since that moment, incoming calls placed to his new Xfinity number on the Note10 Plus rings my S20 Ultra which is on my Verizon account. A number (three) of chats with an Xfinity tech have not resulted in a resolution. It seems now that I'll have to don my COVID-19 mask and appear in person at the local Xfinity store to sort this out: along with my brother and the Note10 Plus. The only thing(s) which the Note10 Plus and the S20 Ultra have in common is that they were once owned by me in their entirety and they were once (but no longer) in close proximity to my @ss. It's somewhat unfathomable.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I finally got Verizon to cough up a network extender, which I hope will arrive soon. No cost to me, and the only condition is I have to return it to them should I switch providers. Fingers crossed. I will post back here any results I have.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm telling you that the network extender is pretty awesome. Hopefully they gave you one that does cellular and data. Post back the model and your feelings about it. I'm curious.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm telling you that the network extender is pretty awesome. Hopefully they gave you one that does cellular and data. Post back the model and your feelings about it. I'm curious.

Question: Does this gizmo work for all phones in the house, or just those on the Verizon network? My wife, on AT&T, is wondering if her reception will improve as well. Thanks.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, and they haven't changed much, it works for all cellphones in its range. Now we only had two so it wasn't a big deal because the one we had could only handle two or three lines at a time but you could set certain lines as priority.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, got the extender and sure enough, I get 4-5 bars around the house now. It doesn't seem to affect my wife's AT&T phone, but then she's rockin' a GS5 and seems happy with antiquity. ;). This was my last shot at getting a decent signal, and I'm really glad I don't have to worry about it any more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter