Heat while charging

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
While using the Motorola turbo charger my new moto x gets very hot. I've never had a phone get hot while charging, so I was wondering if this is normal.

Also, last night my LED flash was left on. I've done that once before with my old moto x, and I don't think it damaged anything. The only difference is that the first gen moto x got really hot and stopped the charge cycle. This time my new Moto X was at %100 when I woke up. Almost like the protection didn't stop the battery from charging in the heat.

Anyway, I was just wondering about these phone batteries and heat. Am I doing damage by using the Moto Turbo Charger? Did last night damage my battery from leaving the LED flash on while charging?

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The first half of the charge with the Turbo charger will make the phone a bit warm but still within the specs.

The heat has some people worried but I feel that Qualcomm would not have created the technology if it would damage the phone. The Nexus 6 and the Droid Turbo come with this charger for the primary charger. I use mine 60% of the time.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The first half of the charge with the Turbo charger will make the phone a bit warm but still within the specs.

The heat has some people worried but I feel that Qualcomm would not have created the technology if it would damage the phone. The Nexus 6 and the Droid Turbo come with this charger for the primary charger. I use mine 60% of the time.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe the same, but you always hear about heat damaging Li-ion batteries. I always make sure now to leave the phone sit while it's charging on the quick charger. That should help keep the heat to a minimum. I also don't use the quick charger for night charges. I only use it for afternoon/evening boosts in power now.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
...I feel that Qualcomm would not have created the technology if it would damage the phone.

Of course, it doesn't hurt Qualcomm if people have to buy new devices sooner because their battery's die sooner. Not saying this is a purposeful design, but a technology that makes your product comparatively more attractive than your competitors and also leads to faster re-buys of your product is an attractive business model.

I'm not overly concerned about the Turbo charger heat but I reserve its use to need only and use the regular charger for routine charging.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Just to chime in as a Droid Turbo owner, the turbo charger that comes with it is also sold separately by Motorola - it's not specific to one phone only. My phone also gets pretty hot for a time during turbo charging - it's not considered abnormal while using this beast of a charger.

Just as a heads-up: obviously it's fine to use the turbo charger, but just note that if it is used very frequently over a long period of time, the heat generated is likely to somewhat reduce recoverable battery capacity, according to a reputable source:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

But, nobody knows yet how much the practical effect will be on these 2014 Motorola flagships, since of course there haven't been such long-term tests completed yet. My guess is that people who use the turbo charger daily for the next 1-2 yrs will start to complain about worse battery life maybe by this time next year, if not slightly before. But hard to say, don't mean to scare anybody away.

I love the turbo charger and use it when I need a quick boost during the daytime, but usually I charge overnight when speed doesn't matter so I'll use my old Razr Maxx HD charger, my powered usb hub, or the Tylt Vu (whenever it finally gets here).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress