Question does using ur phone while charging actually damage the battery?

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
title says all, i like to play games while my phone is charging, however I do try to keep it cool n not let it get hot, would using the phone while charging even when it's not getting hot damage the battery?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charging in itself won't harm the battery, but as you mention, the main issue is if the battery temperature rises significantly. The combination of increased temp from charging and from playing a processor-intensive game could be enough to impact how efficiently the battery charges, and it might also trigger the system to start throttling performance for protection.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's not recommended to keep your phone plugged in for long periods of time while you're using it... but if you're careful (which it sounds like you are 😉) you'll probably be fine.

If you plan on keeping your phone for a long time though, it could shorten the battery life some. Samsung has a setting in their game launcher, designed to protect the battery when the phone is plugged in while gaming. I forget what it's called tho unfortunately...(I don't game) maybe someone else will remember.

BTW welcome to Android Central! 😃🤟

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charging in itself won't harm the battery, but as you mention, the main issue is if the battery temperature rises significantly. The combination of increased temp from charging and from playing a processor-intensive game could be enough to impact how efficiently the battery charges, and it might also trigger the system to start throttling performance for protection.
so my battery will b good as long as i keep it cool?

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
This is the setting I use when plugged in and gaming on my S23 ultra. It's in the Game booster settings within the Gaming Hub, previously called Game Launcher on Samsung phones and tablets. My phone definitely runs cooler using this setting. Not a lot, but the performance doesn't suffer from it overheating if it were turned off.
0ee2755dc936645ff1c7deaeda112b52.jpg

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
This is the setting I use when plugged in and gaming on my S23 ultra. It's in the Game booster settings within the Gaming Hub, previously called Game Launcher on Samsung phones and tablets. My phone definitely runs cooler using this setting. Not a lot, but the performance doesn't suffer from it overheating if it were turned off.
0ee2755dc936645ff1c7deaeda112b52.jpg
Thanks Joshua, that's the setting I was talking about 😉 Pretty sweet that it bypasses the battery and just runs the phone.. that would pretty much get rid of the wear and tear on the battery. If the OP has a Samsung that's the way to go 👍

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I've always tried to live by the 80/40 rule whenever possible: don't charge above 80% or allow to discharge below 40%.

This isn't of course always possible, but after many years of following this rule I've never had to change a phone because of battery capacity issues (I usually keep a phone for at least 3 years).

In addition, and equally important in my view, I try not to use the phone whilst it's charging apart from basic web browsing and emails if necessary. Gaming, YouTube videos etc are going to be putting a strain on your battery whilst charging, something called a 'parasitic load'.

Battery temperature is of course very important also whilst charging as it is equally under normal use (never above 40°C).

Just my own views of course.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've always tried to live by the 80/40 rule whenever possible: don't charge above 80% or allow to discharge below 40%.

This isn't of course always possible, but after many years of following this rule I've never had to change a phone because of battery capacity issues (I usually keep a phone for at least 3 years).

In addition, and equally important in my view, I try not to use the phone whilst it's charging apart from basic web browsing and emails if necessary. Gaming, YouTube videos etc are going to be putting a strain on your battery whilst charging, something called a 'parasitic load'.

Battery temperature is of course very important also whilst charging as it is equally under normal use (never above 40°C).

Just my own views of course.
I really like that Samsung devices have a battery protect feature that stops charging at 85%...both my phone and tablet are protected. I wish Google would get with the program and give the Pixel line a feature like that ☹️

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I really like that Samsung devices have a battery protect feature that stops charging at 85%...both my phone and tablet are protected. I wish Google would get with the program and give the Pixel line a feature like that ☹️
Yeah, it's a great feature.

I use a battery percentage alarm app to try and not go over the 80 but the battery protect is there as back up if I'm tied up doing other things.

Reactions: J Dubbs

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel Tablet actually has that feature, but only if charging on the dock. It stops charging at 90%.

Reactions: J Dubbs